Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Performance / Economy Chip

Benemmagibson

I'm just wanting to know are they worth the investment ? I know the chips are easy to fit but there are varying types all over eBay for the mondeo 2.0 tdci mk 3 and im non the wiser to how much i should be paying for one with prices varying wildly. anyone with any recomends ? horror stories ?

cheers

Ben

a lot of the cheap tuning boxes / chips fool the ecu into thinking the car is running cooler than it really is. this makes the ecu up the fuel pressure and hense more power, but with common rail diesels this can lead to injector and other problems,i know it more expensive but a proper remap is the best way to go.

Tuning boxes work well on a diesel and have the advantage over a chip that they can easily be removed and moved onto your next vehicle or sold.

Disadvantages are they do tend give you the extra power more instant than a chip and if you set the box to high you can get a lot of wheel spin. Where as chips tend to feed the power in giving you more control.

You might like to take a look at

diesel-performance.co.uk

And http://www.draketuning.com/shop/

I used to have a DTUK box my 150bhp diesel Astra which increased the output to around 200bhp.

My friend has a Drake box on his 4x4 which he seems happy with

HTH

Cyb

I'm just wanting to know are they worth the investment ? I know the chips are easy to fit but there are varying types all over ebay for the mondeo 2.0 tdci mk 3 and im non the wiser to how much i should be paying for one with prices varying wildly. anyone with any recomends ? horror stories ?

cheers

Ben

I fitted a dynamic diesels unit to my mk3 2.0 130 about a month before xmas and its been no trouble at all, it works by altering the fuel supply pressure in the commonrail and has 10 different settings, i've found level 4 is about the best setting as its upped the power noticably but its also returning better mpg (about 46.2 urban & 55 on a run), it's also literally a 10 minute job to fit so theres no garage bills to fork out for. I paid about £68 on eBay, and think it was well worth the money, just make sure you read all the info available on whichever one you go for as like mintalkin says, some just fool the ECU into thinking the engines cold and that can end up leading to problems with overfueling and going into the dreaded 'limp home' mode! hope this helps :)

I fitted a dynamic diesels unit to my mk3 2.0 130 about a month before xmas and its been no trouble at all, it works by altering the fuel supply pressure in the commonrail and has 10 different settings, i've found level 4 is about the best setting as its upped the power noticably but its also returning better mpg (about 46.2 urban & 55 on a run), it's also literally a 10 minute job to fit so theres no garage bills to fork out for. I paid about £68 on ebay, and think it was well worth the money, just make sure you read all the info available on whichever one you go for as like mintalkin says, some just fool the ECU into thinking the engines cold and that can end up leading to problems with overfueling and going into the dreaded 'limp home' mode! hope this helps :)

sounds good.have you still got the details of this???.iv looked on e-bay and theyres so many.its difficult to know which one to buy

thanx

steve

I fitted a dynamic diesels unit to my mk3 2.0 130 about a month before xmas and its been no trouble at all, it works by altering the fuel supply pressure in the commonrail and has 10 different settings, i've found level 4 is about the best setting as its upped the power noticably but its also returning better mpg (about 46.2 urban & 55 on a run), it's also literally a 10 minute job to fit so theres no garage bills to fork out for. I paid about £68 on ebay, and think it was well worth the money, just make sure you read all the info available on whichever one you go for as like mintalkin says, some just fool the ECU into thinking the engines cold and that can end up leading to problems with overfueling and going into the dreaded 'limp home' mode! hope this helps smile.gif

if the cars equipped with a diesel particulate filter you can run into big bills in the long run as the dpf can fail and at nearly 1000 pounds to have it all fixed its costly many tuning companies have been experimenting with remaps on dpf fitted cars and as a result have started to withdrawe tuning chips etc as they have been shown to cause them to fail a good company welll trusted and a pro remap is the way to go if youy can ignore these cheap tuning boxes the car needs to be linked to a diagnostic computer rolling road etc to be set up right my mate has a tuning comopany and would not advise plug and play tuning boxes he recommends bluefin as they are tested for the car plug and play ones may seem cheap but give it time and the problems will raise there heads

if the cars equipped with a diesel particulate filter you can run into big bills in the long run as the dpf can fail and at nearly 1000 pounds to have it all fixed its costly many tuning companies have been experimenting with remaps on dpf fitted cars and as a result have started to withdrawe tuning chips etc as they have been shown to cause them to fail a good company welll trusted and a pro remap is the way to go if youy can ignore these cheap tuning boxes the car needs to be linked to a diagnostic computer rolling road etc to be set up right my mate has a tuning comopany and would not advise plug and play tuning boxes he recommends bluefin as they are tested for the car plug and play ones may seem cheap but give it time and the problems will raise there heads

cheers for the warning, i've done a bit of research into the tuning box i've fitted, spoke to a couple of tuners i know through work and marshalling and also my local ford dealership and they've all said that with the emissions readout i got at mot (tester had to fault the machine as the engine was running too clean to give a reading) i should have no problem with the DPF, didn't think they were fitted until early 06 so never gave it a thought before, thanks again mate B)

after reading this im intreeged! does a mkiii 54 mondeo 2.0 tdci (the engine has a timming chain) have a dpf?

after reading this im intreeged! does a mkiii 54 mondeo 2.0 tdci (the engine has a timming chain) have a dpf?

My local main dealer (pertwee & back in gt. yarmouth) reckons they were fitted from 2000 on but i googled dpf and it said standard fit from early 06 and a retro fit option prior to that, dealer didn't seem to know for sure either way though and said mine had one (05 plate 2.0 tdci 130), one thing he did say was that the dpf needs servicing at 37500 miles and replacing at 75000 miles at a cost of £660+ vat & labour, apparently there's a fault code displayed if its not replaced and it's an mot failure so theres no option but to have the work done, but i think he may have been trying to worry me into booking the car in, hope this helps ;)

so ford are making the dpf matter as clear as mud!!??!!~~~###

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club