Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stereo. Am Interference On Acceleration

hawker

Hi

I have a 2006 Focus with the CD6000 system.

On AM frequency only, all i get is interference when the engine is running, especially when the accelerator is pressed, and is totally un-usable. Its not so bad when the engine is turned off. FM and CD is fine.

I've heard it could be a bad earth, but how exactly would I go about fixing this?

Or could it be something else? Aerial related perhaps?

thanks

Hi

I have a 2006 Focus with the CD6000 system.

On AM frequency only, all i get is interference when the engine is running, especially when the accelerator is pressed, and is totally un-usable. Its not so bad when the engine is turned off. FM and CD is fine.

I've heard it could be a bad earth, but how exactly would I go about fixing this?

Or could it be something else? Aerial related perhaps?

thanks

bad earth the question however is where ide start firstly at the battery trace the earth wire back to all its fixing points if any are rusty or green clean them up not sure about the 2006 model but mine are at the front drivers side under the coolant expansion tank also on the passenger side theres 2 under the airbox check those first definately 100 percent a bad earth mate

Snap.

My wife has just bought a 2006 1.6LX - exactly the same, interference on AM good performance on FM.

Reception is sort of OK as we get a strong signal from the high power BBC MW transmitters at Falkirk, but there is engine noise present on the audio.

I have removed and cleaned the roof aerial rod threads, and checked the connection on the back of the radio. I will check for continuity in the aerial lead tomorrow.

I have seen reports on various forums that the 6000CD performs poorly on AM.

Shame as I am a big fan of Radio 5 Live :(

Thanks for the replies fellas!

I'll have a go at cleaning up the -ve on the battery as it looks like its seen better days.

Failing that, if I take out the stereo to have a go at this, which wire exactly do I need to be concentrating on?

Dont know where to start if its earthing points under coolant expansion tank. Would this need to be taken out to access the earth points or can they can be got at easily?

thanks again.

Thanks for the replies fellas!

I'll have a go at cleaning up the -ve on the battery as it looks like its seen better days.

Failing that, if I take out the stereo to have a go at this, which wire exactly do I need to be concentrating on?

Dont know where to start if its earthing points under coolant expansion tank. Would this need to be taken out to access the earth points or can they can be got at easily?

thanks again.

they can be got at easily no need to remove expansion tank a 10mm socket on an extension bar does the job behind the stereo im not sure where the earth is but i would imagine it shouldnt be too hard to find

as a last resort you can always fit a suppressor on the system only cost about £8 of fleabay

I had a close examination behind the audio unit at the weekend.

The cable loom from the audio head joins with other cables and is routed to a multi-way connector on the fuse-board above the front passenger footwell. In turn, the fuse board is connected via a multi-way connector to the fuse-board in the engine bay. There is a lack of metal work behind the dash board and I cannot see any earth points other than 1 for the passenger air-bag unit.

I cleaned up the earth connection from the battery onto the body behind the (engine bay) fuseboard. I also took a fibre brush to the roof aerial stud and thread. I could convince myself that this improved things a little, but I still have engine noise on Radio 5.

I think I will investigate fitting a suppressor as suggested.

I had a cursory look at the battery before I went to work and the terminals and the main earth point right next to the battery don't look too clever. I'll try getting it out and cleaning them up on the weekend, but initial impressions seem to suggest that the battery will not lift out unless the black plastic base that the wipers are attached to is removed. Is this the case, or can it indeed lift straight out (I hope it does!)

I might try one of those suppressors too.

How are these fitted? None of the eBay adverts seem to describe how they are fitted. Are these likely to make much difference though?

I would have thought that once the battery terminals are removed and also the crossbar holding down the battery, it would be a matter of sliding the battery forward and out of the engine bay. Mine is quite a small battery in comparison to other cars that I have owned. Perhaps due to it being a calcium battery?

Re the suppressor, some of the eBay adverts have a description:-

How to Use - There is a fused 12V dc wire that runs between your car radio and fuse panel. This wire should be cut between the fuse and car radio. The red wire from this device should be connected to the fuse side and the yellow wire should be connected to the radio side. To ground, the black wire should be connected to the car radio chassis.

Fitting of suppressors for radio reception was a pretty regular feature during the 60's and 70's due to the primitive nature of car electrics. It is basically a high pass filter to ground which suppresses the transient noise spike caused by the cars ignition circuit. Fit the suppressor as close to the radio as possible.

If you perform a search on Google images you can also find a pin-out diagram for the 6000CD multi-plug. I have one stored on my home PC but I am away from home at the moment.