Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 2.0 Tdci Issue

wlshyd

hi guys,

am fairly new on the forum having very recently bought my first focus, an 06 Zetec 2.0 tdci, thought i have noticed something funny i hoped someone might be able to help/diagnose.

When started in morning before work or when coming home from work, all is fine. Pulls very well from 1700rpm-ish as it should and can hear the turbo spooling up etc.

However, after being on the motorway (entire journey only around 25 mins so not very far) it occasionally, every 30 secs or so, feels as though it is misfiring i.e. short bursts of 5 or 6 sudden, but tiny, spots of deceleration that you can feel by the car slowing down suddenly, but as i say only a tiny bit, but then being fine again.

However, after this has happened i notice that the turbo doesnt spool up under or around 2k rpm anymore, more like at least 2500+, then sometimes if you floor it it wont speed up or anything.

Funny thing is, tonight i pulled into a side street to turn the engine off then turn it on again, and it was fine and dandy all the way home, pulling sweetly in all gears as it should.

Has anyone else had this? Seeing as all seemed well after i turned off the car and turned it on again, i thought maybe an engine management issue? Plus, i also do not know how long the car had sat around for, but my guess is only weeks rather than months.

Anyone got any ideas? Am new to diesel engines so need a bit of help!

Luckily i got a 1-month warranty with the car from the garage i bought it from so all being well whatever it is, it can just go back for them to sort out

Any help greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

Dan

hi guys,

am fairly new on the forum having very recently bought my first focus, an 06 Zetec 2.0 tdci, thought i have noticed something funny i hoped someone might be able to help/diagnose.

When started in morning before work or when coming home from work, all is fine. Pulls very well from 1700rpm-ish as it should and can hear the turbo spooling up etc.

However, after being on the motorway (entire journey only around 25 mins so not very far) it occasionally, every 30 secs or so, feels as though it is misfiring i.e. short bursts of 5 or 6 sudden, but tiny, spots of deceleration that you can feel by the car slowing down suddenly, but as i say only a tiny bit, but then being fine again.

However, after this has happened i notice that the turbo doesnt spool up under or around 2k rpm anymore, more like at least 2500+, then sometimes if you floor it it wont speed up or anything.

Funny thing is, tonight i pulled into a side street to turn the engine off then turn it on again, and it was fine and dandy all the way home, pulling sweetly in all gears as it should.

Has anyone else had this? Seeing as all seemed well after i turned off the car and turned it on again, i thought maybe an engine management issue? Plus, i also do not know how long the car had sat around for, but my guess is only weeks rather than months.

Anyone got any ideas? Am new to diesel engines so need a bit of help!

Luckily i got a 1-month warranty with the car from the garage i bought it from so all being well whatever it is, it can just go back for them to sort out

Any help greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

Dan

could be a multitude of things you need the codes checked first it could be a blocked pipe egr needing cleaned faulty turbo fuel pump etc etc etc i suggest you pay the 70 quid have ford diagnose it then take it to where you bought it and get it fixed or leave it to them and trust they dont muck you around till the warranty is out

I thought that would be the case, I jus wondered if anyone else had experienced the same and had it successfully diagnosed.

I will probably crack it in to Ford and see what they say

cheers

dan

I thought that would be the case, I jus wondered if anyone else had experienced the same and had it successfully diagnosed.

I will probably crack it in to Ford and see what they say

cheers

dan

Ford Focus and Mondeo 1.8 2.0 TDCi 2000 - 2003Problem: Engine hard to start, lack of power, rough idling etc.

Solution: A common problem has been identified with the above models and an insufficient signal from the camshaft postion sensor (CPS). The fault code P0340 may have been triggered which relates to the CPS. A revised wiring harness / sensor should be installed which increases the sensor signal from 5 volts to 12 volts. The increase in voltage will provide an improved signal from the sensor.

Reckon this could include the 2006 models, your post says 2000-2003...?

thanks

dan

Reckon this could include the 2006 models, your post says 2000-2003...?

thanks

dan

its been known to effect a lot of models and years but diagnosis is best before splashing the cash

hmmm ok thanks for that, i'll take it in and see what it says.

I'll report back in case anyone ever experiences something similar, or if it even happens at all again tomorrow...

cheers

the funny thing with this issue is that no lights are illuminated on the dash at all, not even periodically

Any ideas on how big a job it was to fix and/or how pricey?

Just want to getb a gauge before i take it in so i know if i'm being shafted or not

Any ideas on how big a job it was to fix and/or how pricey?

Just want to getb a gauge before i take it in so i know if i'm being shafted or not

to be honest like all things it depends on what it actually is could be a simple job 70 quid say could be more you just dont know till you know what it is

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club