Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looking To Buy A 2Nd Hand Ford Focus

jpmoriarty

I'm looking to buy a 2nd hand ford Focus, looking to spend up to £5,000 but ideally closer to £4,000. It seems that a 2006ish 1.6 is the order of the day, but I was wondering if you kind folks would be able to provide any advice - are there any particularly good models or ones that I should avoid, and are there things I should be on the lookout for when I go to view any models?

Very grateful for any advice or tips!

Many thanks

J

What are your needs mainly? Commuter, or weekends?

Whatever you go for, aiming for the 'Zetec' trim as a bare minimum is an absolute must in my opinion, as it has decent suspension, air con and the heated screen. Also, keep your eyes peeled for the Sony MP3 stereo, as it's quite good.

What are your needs mainly? Commuter, or weekends?

Whatever you go for, aiming for the 'Zetec' trim as a bare minimum is an absolute must in my opinion, as it has decent suspension, air con and the heated screen. Also, keep your eyes peeled for the Sony MP3 stereo, as it's quite good.

It'd be commuting - probably 15 miles a day or so, then trips from Cheltenham to London maybe once a quarter, other trips around etc. Can't see we'd be doing more than 10,000 miles per annum on average, maybe 20k at the absolute most.

Any idea of what I'd be paying in annual services for such a model?

It'd be commuting - probably 15 miles a day or so, then trips from Cheltenham to London maybe once a quarter, other trips around etc. Can't see we'd be doing more than 10,000 miles per annum on average, maybe 20k at the absolute most.

Any idea of what I'd be paying in annual services for such a model?

like anywere the service costs are dependant of location some ford garages do them far cheaper than others give youre local a call and ask is the best way to find out at 20k a year i would personally be considering a diesel rather than the petrol to be honest the miles will soon ravck up the focus is 3rd best for servicing costs with the toyota aygo being first at 88 quid a year my local is 115 for a full service

Definately Diesel, however, I would watch out as the Diesel Particulate Filter is a begger. buy a diesel with low miles, 1.6 TDCI Zetec (better with climate pack!).

Also, my service for a 55k miles or 5 years, just cost 120, although the alternator did fail, it added a sum of 240 to the price, but if your local garage offers it, consider a service Plan. £15 a month, and the service is paid for when its due, major or minor.

id go for a 1.6 tivct 5 dr zetec climate thy do 43 mpg around town and have all the equipment ull ever need

Yeah spend a little extra and go for the zetec or Ghia model. I bought the LX model and wish i had upgraded to one of those.

1. watch out for rust at the end of the front wheel arch

2. do a dashboard diagnostics (as by the pinned topic under focus) and if there is any DTC codes walk away or ask them to get it sorted

3. go for a zetec trim as a minimum

4. go for a 56 reg or later as the wheel arch issue has been sorted in these

I have just got a 1.8tdci sport on a 55 plate, only had it a week, it has a few added extras, heated front window, parking sensors, and climate, only 25k on the clock, I paid £6500. Dont know where you will get one for £4000.

I have just got a 1.8tdci sport on a 55 plate, only had it a week, it has a few added extras, heated front window, parking sensors, and climate, only 25k on the clock, I paid £6500. Dont know where you will get one for £4000.

the sport is the base model for the tdci its called sport but has no sports suspension the zetec is the one to go for its exactly the same in perfoemance as the sport and has the sports seats the s badge etc like the sport and the far better sports suspension they also hold there value better than the sport version as its considered the base model

from a ford dealer the value of youre sport based on mileage and options is 5900-6100 independant 5615 private 5160 thats from my dealers black book for this year with prices ammended so you paid far too much for it at best 400 quid too much

4k will get you a 55 plate zetec 1.6tdci with climate pack and around 80-100k on the clock ifyou want less miles you can get an 05 54 plate 1.6tdci sport with around 60 k on the clock for a smidgeon over 4 grand

Or the 1.8 TDCi ... which has no particulate filter :)

Seriously???

Is this all 1.8's, or all motors over 1.6? I wish someone had told me that before??

Seriously???

Is this all 1.8's, or all motors over 1.6? I wish someone had told me that before??

The 1.8 TDCi is an old 8v engine. The 1.6 and 2.0 TDCi are 16v Peugeot developed modern engines. All are stage IV Euro compliant, but eh 1.6 has DPF as standard and the 2.0 (according to the detailed brochure I have), suggests that the 2.0 TDCi is available with a DPF, but potentially not standard - but I can't be sure.

But the 1.8 TDCi? Definitely no DPF and not available. As a result, I think I will run mine right into the ground and consider my next car VERY carefully. Will be a good 5 years though!

is there any diesel produced by ford where they dont have a DPF? I will be honest I love diesel now, and I would be very reluctant to go back to petrol, however the DPF is the one thing that would push me!

There is another thing I would watch out for, my 55 ZC alternator went bang at 49k miles, the focus is a great car, so stick with the more than 56, if you can, go for a Mark 2.5, do it!

is there any diesel produced by ford where they dont have a DPF? I will be honest I love diesel now, and I would be very reluctant to go back to petrol, however the DPF is the one thing that would push me!

There is another thing I would watch out for, my 55 ZC alternator went bang at 49k miles, the focus is a great car, so stick with the more than 56, if you can, go for a Mark 2.5, do it!

Yes, the 1.8 TDCi has no DPF.

i will also check for leaking jet washer for windscreen. this leaks onto the engine and on petrol focus, this might fill the spark pug wells which eventually might mean the spark plugs might be impossible to replace.

Yes, the 1.8 TDCi has no DPF.

Is that all models up to a certain year? or just focus up to 56/57?

Is that all models up to a certain year? or just focus up to 56/57?

Without the new brochure, I couldn't tell you. I think the Ford website should be able to cast some light on that situation, but I would have thought that it hasn't changed.

You could fork out just £4500 for a ,get this 2002 model . Click on the link and laugh your head off. Some dealers are absolutely delusional.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ford-Focus-GHIA-TDci-CLIMATE-PACK-FULL-HISTORY-2-O-/160415407783?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item255980dea7#ht_1039wt_1165 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ha Ha. Just realised this guy is 20 mins walk from my house.I must call down and point at him whilst laughing at the same time.

In the advert he says "grab yourself a bargain". What a complete idiot.

You could fork out just £4500 for a ,get this 2002 model . Click on the link and laugh your head off. Some dealers are absolutely delusional.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ford-Focus-GHIA-TDci-CLIMATE-PACK-FULL-HISTORY-2-O-/160415407783?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item255980dea7#ht_1039wt_1165 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Absolutely fantastic, 72,000 miles, £4,500, since when did 1,753 cc amount to 2.0 litres? even when the engine photo shows 1.8 - obviously he doesn't focus too much on details and this is a "dealer", maybe a dealer, but IMHO, its got to be a bit more than cars he is dealing for this car to get that value...

The 1.8 TDCi is an old 8v engine. The 1.6 and 2.0 TDCi are 16v Peugeot developed modern engines. All are stage IV Euro compliant, but eh 1.6 has DPF as standard and the 2.0 (according to the detailed brochure I have), suggests that the 2.0 TDCi is available with a DPF, but potentially not standard - but I can't be sure.

But the 1.8 TDCi? Definitely no DPF and not available. As a result, I think I will run mine right into the ground and consider my next car VERY carefully. Will be a good 5 years though!

I think the 2.0 TDCI came with DPF as standard from circa 2008 (around the launch of the mk 2.5 I think), before that it was optional. Like silverfox, I'll think very carefully about my next car but I hope this won't be for a few years.

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for the assistance. In the end I bought a 2005 (05) 2l petrol Ghia with 59,000 on the clock for £5,250 from a local dealer. Might have been a big mistake, but it's a lovely car and hoping it will serve me well! I think my mileage estimates may have been excessive as I've done some calculating and I think 10-12k will be tops annual distance, but we'll see.

Many thanks for your time and advice!

Absolutely fantastic, 72,000 miles, £4,500, since when did 1,753 cc amount to 2.0 litres? even when the engine photo shows 1.8 - obviously he doesn't focus too much on details and this is a "dealer", maybe a dealer, but IMHO, its got to be a bit more than cars he is dealing for this car to get that value...

Has he changed the listing? It's currently saying 2 owners but I can't see anything about 2 litres...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club