Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Drums To Disks

jeebowhite

Not sure if I read it in this forum or somewhere else, but I am wondering can you change Drums to Disks on the back? and if so what is the benefit?

Not sure if I read it in this forum or somewhere else, but I am wondering can you change Drums to Disks on the back? and if so what is the benefit?

yes its possible, ive done it to my focus.

there is no real benefit, although discs are easier to set up and can take more abuse than brake drums under heavy braking. plus they look better.

What would you rate this job as from 1 - 10 were 10 is difficult. and what sort of cost is involved?

What would you rate this job as from 1 - 10 were 10 is difficult. and what sort of cost is involved?

given that im no mechanic but i do about 90% of all my own jobs on the car i would rate it a 4.

its not hard, just time consuming (2-3 hours) and will require a few basic tools

i spent more than i should have, but i would say anywhere between £150-£250 depending on where you can source the parts? sometimes it cheaper to buy a full axle and strip it..

im nightshift tonight so i need to leave for work right now, otherwise i would love to stay on here and talk.

I would think this is a very big job to do.

You would obviously need to fix calipers somewhere and run new brake lines.

Stick with the drums. Its one less set of pads you have to worry about renewing!

I would think this is a very big job to do.

You would obviously need to fix calipers somewhere and run new brake lines.

Stick with the drums. Its one less set of pads you have to worry about renewing!

its not as big a job as you might think,

you remove the old drums and stub axles and bolt on the hubs and stub axles for the discs, the calipers then bolt onto the new hubs.

no need to renew any brake lines but it does require longer brake hoses :) but its a good excuse to get goodridge ones B)

and obviously the handbrake cable needs to be changed over but that takes all of about 10 minutes

This might help - from the focus owners club

Roger

nice find, sums it up nicely :) shame the OP bodged the handbrake fitting..

nice find, sums it up nicely smile.gif shame the OP bodged the handbrake fitting..

its easy if the bolts arent siezed if they are forget about it

its easy if the bolts arent siezed if they are forget about it

if they are then its a hammer and chisel or grinder job :lol: . my advice though is make sure you use 6 point hex sockets and not the bi hex 12 point ones as they are rubbish for tight bolts and will round the edges off.

hmmm, thanks guys, reviewed the other forum, certainly seems like if I do get to do it, it looks like it will be a complicated job for me.

What is the benefits of the disks really? is it going to be worth my while doing this, other than the fact it looks better behind the alloys?

J

hmmm, thanks guys, reviewed the other forum, certainly seems like if I do get to do it, it looks like it will be a complicated job for me.

What is the benefits of the disks really? is it going to be worth my while doing this, other than the fact it looks better behind the alloys?

J

its more expensive for pads than b rake shoes the difference in stopping is almost zero i drove a friends and he did it and the braking was no different its really down to looks not much other benefit really

In that case it doesnt really make it worth while, had you said that pads are cheaper and more effective then I would have invested, however its not really seeming like its going to be worth while then!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club