Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 1.8 1999

revcoups

hi everyone... right ive 2 problems... the first is how easy or hard is it to fit a gearbox for a 1.8 zetec engine 1999 v reg? i havent done this b4 and im thinking of attempting to do it my self to save the pennies. and the next problem is i too am having probs with engine cut out when de-accelerating. now battery light lights up and so does another one cant remember, now this fault can be intermittant, i can drive and speedo cuts out and engine feels like someone is pulling it back a little then after a little while it kicks back in and an increase in engine speed occurs.my own theorys are these ... fuel filter might need replacing, wiring prob in the clocks or something to do with gearbox example dont know if this occured b4 i broke mi reverse on gearbox. any help would be appreciated or even a mechanic cheap enough to help solve my probs. thanks.Rev.

hi everyone... right ive 2 problems... the first is how easy or hard is it to fit a gearbox for a 1.8 zetec engine 1999 v reg? i havent done this b4 and im thinking of attempting to do it my self to save the pennies. and the next problem is i too am having probs with engine cut out when de-accelerating. now battery light lights up and so does another one cant remember, now this fault can be intermittant, i can drive and speedo cuts out and engine feels like someone is pulling it back a little then after a little while it kicks back in and an increase in engine speed occurs.my own theorys are these ... fuel filter might need replacing, wiring prob in the clocks or something to do with gearbox example dont know if this occured b4 i broke mi reverse on gearbox. any help would be appreciated or even a mechanic cheap enough to help solve my probs. thanks.Rev.

fitting i couldnt say but a gearbox isnt that hard if you know what you are doing how the heck did you break reverse? youre other issue has a few possibilities the first is that the battery is the wrong one if its a lead battery its probably fried as you must hacve a silver calcium or lead calcium battery in the car as the smart charge cooks normal batteries symptoms can be many and varied electrical issues as well as the battery light intermitently coming on and the check engine light most garages will test the battery for free no matter what they say you must use a silver/lead calcium battery the second is the alternator has developed a fault the vss sensor may have gone which is indicated by the speedo going to zero sometimes it pops back up sometimes it doesnt.

in youre case do the dash trick on the front page and check the battery voltage then check the battery itself to see if its marked as lead or silver calcium if its lead get it changed befor e it causes more electrical issues ide say from the symptoms its 80 percent sure its the battery causing the issue but it could be a combination of the battery and the vss vehicle speed sensor cutting out when stopping can be linked to the vss or the idle control valve an easy way to check the idle control is again do the dash trick and go to rpm it should be 670-730 rpm max now switch on the rear heated screen it should drop for a second then the revs go back to between the figure stated dont worry it will go up and down constantly its meant to if the figures are fine the icv and alternator are working

not sure on the gearbox removal as ive not taken one out on my focus. but my rover and fiat were a pain in the rear..

as for the other problem..

had the same on my o2 focus-

intermittent fault.

speedo drops to zero - loss of power (like driving into the wind)

used to stall sometimes under breaking or idle

lights used to flash on dash - battery - engine management and a few other ghosts here and there.

turned out to be a short on the speed sensor (common problem im told until they changed the design something to do with water ingress) or just failing - changed the speedo sensor cost me 20 quid from ford was a bit of a pain to pull out but mole grips and a few good tugs did the trick, after that didn't have any problems mite be linked to you losing reverse gear contamination of sensor etc.

hope this helps

Thanks guys for your time and help and advice. im going to look into this at the weekend and i will keep this topic updated. thanks again.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club