Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Advice On A Pair Of Focuses

Pete236

Afternoon all.

I'm a newbie on here, just after a little advice and a few opinions please!

I'm after a more modern car to supplement my 1973 MG Midget. I love the old MG but it's no longer practical everyday, and with the salt going out of the roads, now is a good time to get something else!

Have always fancied a Focus. I've spent 3 years in an all makes garage and can't remember any persistant or regular faults with any of our customers Focuses.

I've got a couple of options at the moment which I'd like to run past the members here and get some opinions!

A T reg 1.6LX. 52000miles, FSH and known to this garage for several years. Trouble is, it's very very scratched and with one or two dings it really doesn't look up to the £1650 asking price (though he's dropped it from 2K to me!)

My other option is a Vreg 1.8LX. 102K miles. Again, it's been known to this garage for several years. Recent cambelt and 3 new tyres. It's pretty clean inside and out. Asking price is £750 BUT It has a chipped tooth on reverse gear. It's been driven like this for 2 years with no problems. I don't know anything about Ford 'boxes (unless it's the ones supplied to Rover for the MG ZR) so would the 'chip' be a problem? Or could it be something rather sinister?

A few other questions: Would the low mileage be a problem? Are there any bits of a Focus that seize up from low mileage?

Likewise, are there any bits likely to go with the high mileage?

Are Focus 'boxes easy to source or repair if it did go pop?

I need something that will be reliable for a good few years. I won;t do many miles but will be going to Germany in March, and possibly to Scotland next summer.

Thanks for reading,any opinions and info are very very welcome and much appreciated!

Pete.

Hi Pete,

To be honest I probably wouldn't go with either, I would just keep looking. To me though the T reg Focus sounds like the best one but as you have already said it is badly scratched up which to me sounds like it hasn't really been cared for properly cosmetically. Also the £1650 is overpriced, I would only pay £1100 at the most (though I bet he won't budge from £1650) even though it may be low mileage and FSH (has this one had a cambelt change at all? If not then don't bother unless he is willing replace it for free). £2000 for that Focus is really overpriced and don't forget it's nearly 12 years old and nowadays pre 2000 Focus go roughly the £1400 mark at the most.

A chipped tooth on reverse gear isn't bad and should be ok but to cure the problem really you would be looking to replaced the gearbox which can be pricey. Has this V reg Focus for FSH as well or not? The £750 mark sounds fairly cheap for this one and to be honest I would be a bit wary as to why it is this cheap? (maybe it has a lot of previous owners or something else he hasn't mentioned i.e. if the car is not HPI clear and is a CAT C or D?)

Liam

Hi Pete,

To be honest I probably wouldn't go with either, I would just keep looking. To me though the T reg Focus sounds like the best one but as you have already said it is badly scratched up which to me sounds like it hasn't really been cared for properly cosmetically. Also the £1650 is overpriced, I would only pay £1100 at the most (though I bet he won't budge from £1650) even though it may be low mileage and FSH (has this one had a cambelt change at all? If not then don't bother unless he is willing replace it for free). £2000 for that Focus is really overpriced and don't forget it's nearly 12 years old and nowadays pre 2000 Focus go roughly the £1400 mark at the most.

A chipped tooth on reverse gear isn't bad and should be ok but to cure the problem really you would be looking to replaced the gearbox which can be pricey. Has this V reg Focus for FSH as well or not? The £750 mark sounds fairly cheap for this one and to be honest I would be a bit wary as to why it is this cheap? (maybe it has a lot of previous owners or something else he hasn't mentioned i.e. if the car is not HPI clear and is a CAT C or D?)

Liam

leave both alone theres plenty of focuses out there to be had for that money auto trader is a good place to look neithers been cared for and big bills will no doubt be looming

Hi guys.

Thanks for the replies. Kinda confirmed what I was thinking but it's always good to have someone agree with you!

The expensive one has been sold already (at the full 2K asking price!) leaving the £750 one.... Not driven it yet, but heard it running when already warm. Sounds quite sweet, emissions look smoke free, no strange knocks or anything.

Have also heard it driven in reverse and it sounds truly horrible.... but being in a garage and having use of the ramps, a 'box change doesn't worry me all that much.

Will ask to hear it from cold 1st thing in the morning before deciding. I don't think there is anything hidden in it's past that will surprise me. It's my boss who is selling it, and his daughter has been using it for the last 2 years I think.

I'm still keeping an eye out elsewhere just in case....but the convenience and condition of the car is very tempting. ( I hope I live to regret the choice!)

Many thanks!

Pete.

Hi guys.

Thanks for the replies. Kinda confirmed what I was thinking but it's always good to have someone agree with you!

The expensive one has been sold already (at the full 2K asking price!) leaving the £750 one.... Not driven it yet, but heard it running when already warm. Sounds quite sweet, emissions look smoke free, no strange knocks or anything.

Have also heard it driven in reverse and it sounds truly horrible.... but being in a garage and having use of the ramps, a 'box change doesn't worry me all that much.

Will ask to hear it from cold 1st thing in the morning before deciding. I don't think there is anything hidden in it's past that will surprise me. It's my boss who is selling it, and his daughter has been using it for the last 2 years I think.

I'm still keeping an eye out elsewhere just in case....but the convenience and condition of the car is very tempting. ( I hope I live to regret the choice!)

Many thanks!

Pete.

I would still walk away from the £750 one, £750 for it from a trader still sounds fairly cheap to me and there must be something else bad that he hasn't mentioned to you and he probably wants it sold quickly at that price. If you did get it and were looking to get the box changed then you would be looking at around the £200 mark maybe more for a reconditioned box and another £200 ish for a garage to change them over so that is over £400 for the job! I would really consider doing a HPI check on the car first before really looking at it.

No doubt as well that other people have viewed the car and have walked away, but this is likely down to the gearbox issue. Also I find that the other Focus that went for £2000 is absoluetly shocking... he must of made a big profit out of that!

Liam

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club