Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1St Use Of Brakes

Colin T

On my 2000, mk1 Focus 1.8 Zetec I've noticed that the first application of the brakes (foot brake) the brake pedal is very hard and the braking force is negligible.

For the rest of the day the brakes work perfect.

Any ideas on what this could be?

Thanks

Sounds like a problem with the brake servo. Can't think what though.

You can test the servo as follows:- before starting the engine pump the brake pedal until it feels hard (to destroy the vacuum). Keep pressure on the pedal and start the engine. If the servo is working the pedal should move down slightly.

Sounds like a problem with the brake servo. Can't think what though.

You can test the servo as follows:- before starting the engine pump the brake pedal until it feels hard (to destroy the vacuum). Keep pressure on the pedal and start the engine. If the servo is working the pedal should move down slightly.

Thanks, I will try this tomorrow morning

Thanks, I will try this tomorrow morning

Ford Focus 1999 - 2003

Problem: For the first two minutes of driving, there is a particularly hard brake pedal.

Solution: A common problem is reduced brake booster assistance caused by low manifold vacuum. The solution is to fit a new revised brake booster vacuum hose and air cleaner outlet tube and have the PCM (Powertrain Control Module, ECM) cleared of codes and reprogrammed.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club