Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyres And Speed Rating

Colin T

Can somebody help with the following?

I need 2 new tyres for the rear of my Focus as they are down to 2mm. I noticed that the existing rear tyres are H speed rated but the tyres on the front of the car are V speed rated. I called the local Ford garage who told me that I should have V speed rated tyres fitted.

Car = MK 1 Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Petrol X reg year 2000

Front Tyres 7mm tread = Avon ZV3 Tyre 195/60 15 H

Rear Tyres 2 mm tread = Goodyear 195/60 15 V

What is the legal position regarding speed rating for the tyres fitted to cars?

Do I need to change all 4 tyres?

Thanks

they should be of equal or better quality and safe useage ie tyres suitable for travelling at 100mph+ without overheating and causing a blowout capable cornring at poss speed your vehicle travels taking into account weight of vehicle and possiable load put on the tyres due to size.

Q - for cars with max speeds up to 100mph (160km/h)

R - for cars with max speeds up to 105mph (170km/h)

S - for cars with max speeds up to 113mph (180km/h)

T - for cars with max speeds up to 118mph (190km/h)

H - for cars with max speeds up to 130mph (210km/h)

V - for cars with max speeds up to 150mph (240km/h)

Z - for cars with speeds over 150mph (240km/h)

W - for cars with max speeds up to 168mph (270km/h)

Y - for cars with max speeds up to 186mph (300km/h

theres also xl (extra load as fitted to galaxy/smax)

http://www.national.co.uk/information/read-a-sidewall.aspx

they should be of equal or better quality and safe useage ie tyres suitable for travelling at 100mph+ without overheating and causing a blowout capable cornring at poss speed your vehicle travels taking into account weight of vehicle and possiable load put on the tyres due to size.

Q - for cars with max speeds up to 100mph (160km/h)

R - for cars with max speeds up to 105mph (170km/h)

S - for cars with max speeds up to 113mph (180km/h)

T - for cars with max speeds up to 118mph (190km/h)

H - for cars with max speeds up to 130mph (210km/h)

V - for cars with max speeds up to 150mph (240km/h)

Z - for cars with speeds over 150mph (240km/h)

W - for cars with max speeds up to 168mph (270km/h)

Y - for cars with max speeds up to 186mph (300km/h

theres also xl (extra load as fitted to galaxy/smax)

http://www.national....a-sidewall.aspx

h or v as long as both h and both v are on the same axle you are fine i personally choose the v but im a 1.8

one thing you need to check, Fitting lower speed rated tyres or tyres with a lower load index that is recommended by ford may invalidate your insurance.

one thing you need to check, Fitting lower speed rated tyres or tyres with a lower load index that is recommended by ford may invalidate your insurance.

Thats a point aswell to remember #spare wheel speeds lower but is meant a tempory fitment

I finally got an answer from my car insurance company (AA Insurance Services, policy with Groupama)

The AA had to put this forward to the underwriters, Groupama, who say they are happy with the tyre size and speed rating fitted to my car and gave the following response:

I must ensure that the tyre size are correct, 195/60 R15 and that either speed rating, H or V are acceptable.

AA Insurance Services have noted this on their system against my insurance policy.

So I don't need to change my Avon ZV3 tyres

I'm about to get my 2 rear tyres replaced, having got a fully fitted price of £114 from AA Tyres for the following tyre:

BARUM BAR BRAVURIS 2 88V 195/60VR15 V

I've paid online for these and booked a fitting date / time slot (choice of either am or pm) with the fitting center, National Tyres in Ipswich.

Buying online and through AA Tyres saved almost £16 off the price shown on the same tyre selection on National Tyres own website.

IMHO I would never go for less than a V, I may not do 100mph+ but the rubber compound is stronger and more tolerant of heat generated, meaning a safer tyre, even at speeds less than they were designed for... but thats just me ;)

Useful information none the less, its amazing what little things the insurance company need to know... Like if you fit winter tyres to your car, you must inform your insurer apparently!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club