Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rattle From Rear??

ChrisH

Just recently, my 2006 56 plate Focus, has developed an annoying rattle, that seems to be coming from the rear driverside door area, near the seatbelt. it is for want of a better description, a metallic 'tinking' noise. has nothing to do with speed, or bumps, it is constant when it starts. I can drive from home to work (40miles), and back again, and it only starts sometimes, when i am near to home again on the return journey. Tried tightening up everything I can think of, but no luck. its driving me mental!!!! Only thing I have not done is remove the door card, on the rear, as they are a nightmare to remove. The only fault I can find is the heat shield under the car is loose, and rattles whenever a door or tailgate is shut. Could this cause a completely different noise in the car?? My wife has sat in the back, but it didnt do it much, and she thought it was coming from the bootspace in the middle....

Would love any advice, before I reach into the pocket and ask the local dealer.....

Have you checked whether the rear of the roof lining is properly clipped into place?

I had a similar annoying rattle in a previous car and almost turned teh car inside out before noticing that one of the rear roof clips had come loose!

Thanks.

no hadnt checked that. Something I forgot to add.... The car has been very recently serviced, and only noticed noise after this. The rear brake pads were replaced at this service. Could caliper retaining pins, be the source.

Actually went up and asked ford, and they actually gave some advice, before I spend money so I have greased the latches on both passenger rear doors, and the tailgate latch. Also I have taped with insulation tape, the metal hoops, that hold/latch the rear seats in the upright positio

Lets see how this goes. Will also have the loose heatshield repaired

Thanks

Thanks.

no hadnt checked that. Something I forgot to add.... The car has been very recently serviced, and only noticed noise after this. The rear brake pads were replaced at this service. Could caliper retaining pins, be the source.

Actually went up and asked ford, and they actually gave some advice, before I spend money so I have greased the latches on both passenger rear doors, and the tailgate latch. Also I have taped with insulation tape, the metal hoops, that hold/latch the rear seats in the upright positio

Lets see how this goes. Will also have the loose heatshield repaired

Thanks

I would have a good look at the heatshields, i had to sort 2 of them on my focus.

• 6 months later...

Hi the heat shield is loose on my wifes 53 plate Focus 1.6 Zetec. I don't want to spend dealer prices getting it fixed, free car valuations only says it is worth between £400 - £1000 to trade in. So don't want to spend silly money getting it fixed, I'd sooner live with the rattle.

Is there another fix that is safe to use, I have heard about using the metal putty repair type stuff. just to fix it in place and stop it moving.

from what I can see the screws holding it in place look pretty rusty and the heat shield has broken around these.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Would it be possible to remove the screws and then screw them back in with some penny washers or something?? (Not sure it these would need to be heat proof or anything though??)

Would that help to tighten the shield in place?

Just remove it all together that's what my mate did in his st170 having no problems been like that over a year now

Just remove it all together that's what my mate did in his st170 having no problems been like that over a year now

i wouldnt advise doing that its there for a reason and a good one at that

Nah would be a bit cautious about removing the heat shield, especially as it is used to carry my wife and three children around in.

Looking at the nuts I think I will struggle to remove them, so the metal putty stuff might be my only option or put up with the rattle.

Next thing for me to look at is the gear lever is a bit stiff, goes into gear fine, no grating but just feels heavy. Clutch is OK though.

Could be time to get rid perhaps, but don't think I'll get much for it and could end up with something worse than I have now for the money I have to spend.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club