Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2.5 Focus Trip Computer

ausfocus

Hi

I'm in Australia and looking to buy a new Focus TDCi 2 litre.

The "New Focus" isn't out here yet, so what I am looking at you would call a Mk2.5.

Here in AU, Ford use two letter codes for the model, so an equivalent to the UK Mk2 is an LS or LT, a UK Mk2.5 early is a LV and doesn't have bluetooth or voice control, the latest versions have bluetooth and voice control, and are called "LV Mark2". They only came out in October 2010.

Focii sold in Australia are assembled in South Africa (except XR5). Ford Australia seem a bit clueless when asking technical questions about them, which is why I am turning to you guys.

The ones sold here don't have an instantaneous fuel economy readout in the trip computer. The early ones (LT) did, they had the LCD screen. (grey display.) The later ones with the red LED display don't. Not happy about that. It is mentioned in the owners handbook, but the car doesn't actually have it. Checked with Ford AU - yes, that's how they are.

I'd like to find out if I can do anything to get an instantaneous fuel economy display. (import a module from the UK and plug it in, or get some software firmware update, or just get the feature turned on in some menu system.)

Dealer service departments have no idea about trying to turn on the feature. Ford AU technical people say it can't be done, but they don't sound confident and I'm not convinced.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks.

sorry about the double post - internet connection dropped out, I thought it didn't get through.

Can an admin please delete this thread?

Hi,

The issue as you say is that the manual states it has it, and on some models it clearly doesnt! The problem is that they have multiple versions of firmware, one that doesnt and one that does. I am unsure as to which one is which, but if you were to drop an email to Ford Technical Support, they may be able to provide the Firmware versions.

If you do find the firmware versions please do let us know :)

(The ones sold here don't have an instantaneous fuel economy readout in the trip computer. The early ones (LT) did)

Interesting - From what i've read so far i thought the mark 2 (LT) doesn't have instant fuel economy readouts just average and kicks in (if you do a complete reset - remove battery or something like that) once you have done so many miles (about 100 miles i think). Pretty sure its the same on the mark 2.5. I remember reading threads about this being a lack of a feature.

Unless different trims do have this but i'm sure the zetec climate my mate has is average only.

suppose different firmware would explain this though, people with not mentioning it in threads i've read... talk about confusing!!

Yeah there are some owners of the same car I had, ZC 2005 1.6TDCI - some have the full "instant" readings (cant remember who off the top of my head, but I cant even find my thread it was that long ago!)

EDIT: A stroke of luck - take a look at my previous thread - http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9197&st=0&p=56080&hl=+computer%20++%20+mpg&fromsearch=1entry56080

Interesting.

Why can't these things be simple, its like the footwell light!!

Must say i sort of agree with the last post "Yer I reckon you only want it when you have not got it. Then when you have it, you really don't see all that much of a need for it" LOL although i would like to see what it would say at 70mph on the motorway compared to 80mph..

I think at 70, I flicked on my Average and reset it (obviously then it was almost live as it was monitoring it over about 0.4 of a mile), I think I saw on an even road, 66/67mph. Going downhill was 67, and going uphill was 65...