Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Window Tinting And Insurance

btmaldon

Ive just been doing some research on the effect of tinting windows on car insurance. This appears to vary across insurers, but in most cases you should inform them that you ghave had your windows tinted and may have to pay an additional premium.

It appears that the insurance companies are treating this as a modification and if you are not careful, you may find the insurance company will not support you when it comes to a claim.

My insurance is with Direct Line and this is their view:

If the tint is to the manufacturers standard specification and the work was carried out by the manufacturer we have no problem.

I was looking to arrange for my rear winsdows to be tinted, but do not want to pay Fords to do it as the cost will be significantly higher than elsewhere.

Anybody else got a view?

Because it changes the look of your car, it must be told to the insurance company. Also, if its not fitted from the factory, it will be classed as aftermarket (even if you get ford to do it)

There is no way you can avoid the cost Direct Line want to add. Unless you buy a car with the tints on from the factory (such as a Fiesta Titanium) - If you are unsure, because the Fiesta Titanium's spec has window tintis as standard, this would be part of the cars main spec meaning the insurance company already know about it.

It may help you to tell them that the tint you use is also a security tint, which will stop the window smashing so is also a security feature.

Unbelievable!!

I just phoned Direct Line for clarification on this. I explained that the Tints would be to Ford specification but fitted by an independant garage.

They want an additional £70 per year plus my excess would be increased by £100. Im 49 years old for goodness sake with over 20 years of NCB.

So I asked if it is OK to fit blinds in the back of the car instead. The reply was that blinds aren't a problem and will not effect the insurance.

I would be telling them that i would be transfering to a different insurance company.

I cant rate Adrian Flux enough. Fantastic company and are always happy to deal with "Modifications".

May be worth giving Sky Insurance (Who are insurers here on FOC and offer very competetive rates for our members) a shout and explaining the situation

I would be telling them that i would be transfering to a different insurance company.

I cant rate Adrian Flux enough. Fantastic company and are always happy to deal with "Modifications".

May be worth giving Sky Insurance (Who are insurers here on FOC and offer very competetive rates for our members) a shout and explaining the situation

Sounds like a plan. My renewal is due in June. I think I will give them a call.

Direct line are one of the worst for letting people change their cars, there are much better insurance companies out there who will happily let you change/mod your car for a small fee.

As i said earlier, it dont matter if it's done to Fords spec. Once the car has left the factroy anything you add/change will be classed as aftermarket.

Unbelievable!!

I just phoned Direct Line for clarification on this. I explained that the Tints would be to Ford specification but fitted by an independant garage.

They want an additional £70 per year plus my excess would be increased by £100. Im 49 years old for goodness sake with over 20 years of NCB.

So I asked if it is OK to fit blinds in the back of the car instead. The reply was that blinds aren't a problem and will not effect the insurance.

As others have suggested, look at moving your insurance. Just remember the cheaper companies do tend to stick ‘extra’ on any little thing they can. The CIS insurance company was a good one to be with and seldom charged for this kind of thing, although they did charge a little more than most – might be worth asking any insurance co’ first before paying up.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, i added tints on my mondeo. insurance company (quin direct- highly recommended) was fine with that. so depends on the insurance company.

in a way tints do add security to the car (a thief can not see your belongings clearly and may not be able to see who is in the car again being a deterrent for stealing) i do not see the problem with tints unless they are pitch dark black illegal. many new model have tints as standard anyway

dan

yes that is right, i have heard good things about adrian flux, never tired them myself but have heard they are very cheap. give quinn direct a call aswell

My mate has a "tarty" KA, which he insured with Adrian Flux - Unlimited modifications within £X0000 value increase of the car, and he can do what he likes when he likes... All for a less price than his MK1 Focus was costing him on a standard policy...

Now he just has to fit the engine mounts, 2.0ltr engine, new gearbox and doors with handles (since he keeps getting locked out as he hasnt even got handles on the door at all!) LOL

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club