Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sat Nav Disk Error

1968stevec

Hi

I've recently had an error come up on my sat nav that says 'disk is not a map DVD'. It's a 7" touch screen in-built unit with radio/air con etc, an extra included in the car when i bought it (2006 Ford Mondeo)and its been working fine for the past 5 years.

I spoke to the ford garage and they really weren't much help - "you'll need a new disk mate, that'll be £270 please"

My first problem is that I can't find the disk location. Its not in the cd changer in the boot and there's no obvious flap in the dashboard that would take the disk. Do I have to remove the whole sat-nav unit to locate the disk.

Secondly, where can I get a replacement disk at a sensible price, assuming it is the disk that's developed a fault?

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forum.

As far as the disk is concerned, you may well be able to remove the whole satnav unit, and you may find the disk in there, but I have a gut feeling that it will be buried under a fascia somewhere.

The problem is that the disk itself, if it doesnt have a map on it, you will need the maps, you may be able to "acquire" a copy off the internet, and update your disk to make sure any lost files are replaced, however unfortunately you need the satnav software and you may not be able to get it.

Best thing I can advise, is if someone on the forum can remove their SD disk and can copy all the contents and keep them on their computer, they might be able to zip up a copy and email you it.

I dont know how much write protection is present on the disk, but if Ford made a hash of it, a simple copy and paste may resolve the issue.

hopefully you can get this sorted!

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply.

Still can't find where the disk is hidden but there seem to be copies advertised for about £30 (satnavi.com?)

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forum.

As far as the disk is concerned, you may well be able to remove the whole satnav unit, and you may find the disk in there, but I have a gut feeling that it will be buried under a fascia somewhere.

The problem is that the disk itself, if it doesnt have a map on it, you will need the maps, you may be able to "acquire" a copy off the internet, and update your disk to make sure any lost files are replaced, however unfortunately you need the satnav software and you may not be able to get it.

Best thing I can advise, is if someone on the forum can remove their SD disk and can copy all the contents and keep them on their computer, they might be able to zip up a copy and email you it.

I dont know how much write protection is present on the disk, but if Ford made a hash of it, a simple copy and paste may resolve the issue.

hopefully you can get this sorted!

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply.

Still can't find where the disk is hidden but there seem to be copies advertised for about £30 (satnavi.com?)

Cheers

Steve

Afraid I cant help you on the where front, but it may be worth a look. Best thing to do is find the card, back it up and do what you want with it after that! if it is a simple SD card, then you could buy another, but I cant remember if they hardcode the card with something...

the dvd drive for the nav is usually hidden under the front passenger seat or under the cd multi-drive.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club