Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo Mk3 More Power Wanted

burty98

ive got a standard 2003 1.8 mondeo mk3 petrol which i want to try and make quicker through the gears without breaking the bank any idea`s where to start would be much appreciated :blink:

As a Starter:

1) Give it a darned good service

2) Upgrade the Air / Fuel / oil Filters and a better oil may be beneficial

3) Replace the old Spark Plugs if they are many moons old

4) Fuel additives such as BG244 to clean out any carbon deposits will help.

These are basics that will bring it back to a former glory. and will make it quiker in one respect, but more bring it back into line with its former health.

Otherwise you are looking into the territory of TDCI Tuning Boxes, or uprating the breathing ability of the car. New / Uprated breathing / parts for the general engine is the cheapest way to go with the littler gain. The TDCI Tuning boxes are about 70 - 90 for a cheap, or up to £170- for a decent.

You can get a good output from these, more power, more MPG as well, so its cheaper than a full blown remap!

As a Starter:

1) Give it a darned good service

2) Upgrade the Air / Fuel / Oil Filters and a better Oil may be beneficial

3) Replace the old Spark Plugs if they are many moons old

4) Fuel additives such as BG244 to clean out any carbon deposits will help.

These are basics that will bring it back to a former glory. and will make it quiker in one respect, but more bring it back into line with its former health.

Otherwise you are looking into the territory of TDCI Tuning Boxes, or uprating the breathing ability of the car. New / Uprated breathing / parts for the general engine is the cheapest way to go with the littler gain. The TDCI Tuning boxes are about 70 - 90 for a cheap, or up to £170- for a decent.

You can get a good output from these, more power, more MPG as well, so its cheaper than a full blown remap!

have done all the stuff on list also put new coil pack on was thinking of putting a performance air filter on to start with something like a k&n or similar just to try make it bit more resposive noy sure how viable or even possible a remap or chip of some kind is on a standard petrol engine thanks for your idea`s anyway it all helps ;)

Oops, my bad, I somehow had it in my head that you had a diesel! no Tuning Boxes dont work with petrols, or not yet anyway...

When you replaced the coils, did you replace the HT leads as well?

If you have replaced all those, and given it a darned good servicing, and you still seek more power then the only real power gain will be a remap. you can remap petrols, but cant get as much "oomph" out of them as a diesel (without sticking a turbo on it anyway!).

the K&N Filter will give you a little extra power, a decent exhaust system will give you up to another 25 BHP on average, other than sticking an induction kit on it...?

Oops, my bad, I somehow had it in my head that you had a diesel! no Tuning Boxes dont work with petrols, or not yet anyway...

When you replaced the coils, did you replace the HT leads as well?

If you have replaced all those, and given it a darned good servicing, and you still seek more power then the only real power gain will be a remap. you can remap petrols, but cant get as much "oomph" out of them as a diesel (without sticking a turbo on it anyway!).

the K&N Filter will give you a little extra power, a decent exhaust system will give you up to another 25 BHP on average, other than sticking an induction kit on it...?

no didn`t replace the leads might look ay induction kit as appossed to just the replacement filter and maybe a bit of a mod to get more cool air to the intake didn`t really want to go down the exhaust route to be honest due to the noise side of things and i leave for work early in the mornings so don`t think the neibours would be impressed lol :unsure:

lol, the good thing is you dont need an exhaust minus backbox and with a tailpipe that you can insert your head into to get a decent amount of power, there are some good kits out there that look factory spec, but will give you the breathing capabilities you need to get the power out!

As for the neighbours - do what I did - let your car roll down the hill and start it in someone else's neighbourhood! I think thats the only reason my neighbours didn't set fire to my Focus!

• Like 1

lol, the good thing is you dont need an exhaust minus backbox and with a tailpipe that you can insert your head into to get a decent amount of power, there are some good kits out there that look factory spec, but will give you the breathing capabilities you need to get the power out!

As for the neighbours - do what I did - let your car roll down the hill and start it in someone else's neighbourhood! I think thats the only reason my neighbours didn't set fire to my Focus!

ha ha ha ha :D :D

:lol: My mate was driving out of his street one cold morning not so long ago, and from a driveway appears a subaru with frost covered windows - ploughed straight into it with his land rover. turns out that his exhaust is so loud he doesn't start the car at the house.. oops, should maybe clear the windows first then..

my apologies for going off topic

:lol: My mate was driving out of his street one cold morning not so long ago, and from a driveway appears a subaru with frost covered windows - ploughed straight into it with his land rover. turns out that his exhaust is so loud he doesn't start the car at the house.. oops, should maybe clear the windows first then..

big ouch ! ha ha :) :)

Theres no lesson like an insurance claim lesson! mind you I Would have thought a bit of logic such as "allow yourself the ability to see out the window" would have been second nature... Might as well have blindfolded himself and played chicken...

Oh well! lol, I think I can guess which of the two motors came worse off...

Theres no lesson like an insurance claim lesson! mind you I Would have thought a bit of logic such as "allow yourself the ability to see out the window" would have been second nature... Might as well have blindfolded himself and played chicken...

Oh well! lol, I think I can guess which of the two motors came worse off...

or atleast see headlights coming?..

bumper damage on the land rover (disco) and from what i was told, bumper wing and headlight on the subaru.

His fault, i'm guessing no lights either.

Obscured windscreen is a fixed penalty offence. :ph34r:

Stef, to be fair sounds like he came out quite fortunately given the circumstances...

But as Stoney said, Obscured windscreen is a kick up the backside on the roadside! (marginely off but related to the topic) I think that the penalty even counts if you have a "fogged up" windscreen as well...?

Stef, to be fair sounds like he came out quite fortunately given the circumstances...

But as Stoney said, Obscured windscreen is a kick up the backside on the roadside! (marginely off but related to the topic) I think that the penalty even counts if you have a "fogged up" windscreen as well...?

And so it should, Gets me wound up when i see drivers going about who have cleared a small section of the windscreen and more than likely not bothered with the side windows at all!

anyway... more power :lol:

Same offence and same penalty.

I think it's officially classed as driving a vehicle whilst in an unsafe condition. (would you believe this also covers empty washer bottles, loose batteries, damaged wipers, over tinted windows and excessively lowered suspension to quote a few)

That's a bit of a catch all but is definitely relevant in this case.

I tend to use Pre icer spray if cold snaps are expected.

It doesn't stop ice totally but does make it a hell of a lot easier to remove.

Agreed Stoney, I use PreIcer as well it can be good, sometimes it has stopped the ice where everyone else is frozen through!

as for the empty washer bottle, I can understand why - you cant clean your windscreen on demand - less visibility, more risk. I always keep a small bottle of fluid in the car (either water, or just a straight wash solution.

As for the Side windows, I dont find mine fog up too often, but there have been some ocassions I got in the car - fog free, drove up the road, then all of a sudden the window fogs up, and I put the heaters on full whack, but it doesnt clear - end up pulling in till they clear, but its a nuisance, I get overly nervous, trying to just pull in, trying to bob up and down the level of sight just to find a clear gap that I can see out of - and it scares me to think that people will lealve their windows Ice / Snow covered and just make a porthole for view...

• Like 1