Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk1 Speedo Issue

MikeyShadrake

hi

i have a issue with the speedo where it stops showing the speed and then will come back on say 5 mins later, just wondered if this is a simple fix like a loose connection or is it more involved.

cheers

:)

New speedo sensor needed mate.

Easy and cheap to get on eBay.

You'll need a new locking pin for it too as you'll mangle the old one removing it.

Search YouTube for guides on how to do it.

Had this problem on my old mk1 and took about 40 minutes to do.

When your speedo drops does the engine run rough too?

Check the cable where it runs close to the gear linkage. On mine the sensor and instrument cluster were replaced before it was found the cable was chafed and shorting on the linkage. If the fault goes away after a gearchange this might be the reason.

If you do change the sensor be aware that they can get corroded in and snap off while trying to remove them.

New speedo sensor needed mate.

Easy and cheap to get on eBay.

You'll need a new locking pin for it too as you'll mangle the old one removing it.

Search YouTube for guides on how to do it.

Had this problem on my old mk1 and took about 40 minutes to do.

When your speedo drops does the engine run rough too?

the engine runs fine when its dropped out, the speedo drops out like it loses power

cheers for the reply

Check the cable where it runs close to the gear linkage. On mine the sensor and instrument cluster were replaced before it was found the cable was chafed and shorting on the linkage. If the fault goes away after a gearchange this might be the reason.

If you do change the sensor be aware that they can get corroded in and snap off while trying to remove them.

hi cheers for the reply, i will check this first before purchases

May be worth checking the back of the speedo panel for condensation first then.

Usually a sensor dropping reduces engine response too.

Some MK1's had a problem with moisture getting into the cluster and causing an intermittent short.

Give the back of the unit a dry off and a jab with a small amount of WD40 for a temporary fix.

If that doesn't work or if you want peace of mind then do the speedo sensor - better safe than sorry and on eBay they don't cost the earth.

The cluster would cost more as it would also i believe need setting for correct mileage by a garage or ford. Of course that's if you'd want to do the cluster too.

Still reckon the sensor is the main culprit though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FOCUS-1-4-1-6-1-8-SPEEDO-SENSOR-1998-2004-98AB9E731AG-BRAND-NEW-SS1-/150731144902?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item231846bec6

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Ford-Focus-Speed-Sensor-Pin-/220473007620?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3355371e04

Fitting guide from a member of another forum i subscribe to http://fordfocusworld.com/forums/ and just happens to be a neighbour of mine.

Hope this helps you to resolve your problem.

• 7 months later...

Hey guys, Im new to the forum and I have had this problem. Although when removing the sensor it has unfortunately snapped inside the gearbox. Do you guys know of any easy ways of getting it out of the gearbox without the top half without taking apart the gearbox? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

I would assume that part of it is still stuck in the hole?

If so then you may be able to gently screw or drill into it and use a draw hammer and plenty of WD40 to bump it out.

If it has snapped off below access range or dropped away inside the housing then i'm afraid the housing will have to come off.

Running the car without the VSS attached will most likely cause serious misrunning as the VSS is a direct ECU connection and also if the sensor head has moved in at all may foul the moving parts inside the box and also allow Transmission oil to leak.

Yes the sensor is still stuck in the hole and there is nothing to get purchase onto. Its extremely tight in there and there is no space for leakage. Its not connected to the ECU anymore. I was told it would be ok and would run as bad as it did before.

Yes, it will run very ragged, no odometer readings will be added so your mileage will be inaccurate and will cause sluggish acceleration and likely stalling too.

As I said it's either put in a screw and try a draw hammer or pull the box.

i leave these jobs to the garage as they are a total pig to get out once they have snapped the car will run like a bag of spanners until its sorted im afraid

• 3 weeks later...

Had this on my old MK1. Sold it in the end, but I hear all you need is a new speed sensor. The speedo used to die on mine, often followed by the car stalling.

Those are indeed the symptoms.

You'll usually find that the odometer stops too.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club