Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Glow Plugs

rattyc5

not sure if its the glow plugs or not but car is a bit more difficult to start in mornings when its down near freezing point.takes between 5 and 8 seconds to fire up. turned the ignition on and off twice this morning before firing up and car started perfect after 2 seconds. so do i need new plugs? dont know how old the ones in it are. car starts perfect rest of day and on the warmer mornings.

any recommendations on which plugs and where from would be good.haynes manual says Bosch 0250201049 glow plugs.

cheers ray

yes

i would change them you dont no what condition there in so best to renew

Hi, get the best quality Glowplugs that you can afford, and go for a good branded name. (Blue print, Bosch, N.G.K)

roughly how long/ difficult is it to change glow plugs without removing any pipes? should i wait for weekend when i have more time or could i do it in an hour?

roughly how long/ difficult is it to change glow plugs without removing any pipes? should i wait for weekend when i have more time or could i do it in an hour?

the biggest concern is if they are seized, there is a risk of snapping them which leaves you in bigger trouble. Dont force them, a bit of penetrating spray on them and allow them to soak

on mine i use a long reach 10mm socket 3/8 drive to get the plugs out, and depending on make of plug a 7mm or 8mm for the nut, you may need 12mm long reach socket..

got Bosch plugs today. correct part number according to the haynes manual but they are just over 6 cm long. other makes i have seen on the web seem to be nearly 10 cm long! have not taken the old glow plugs out yet but just wanted to know if this was correct or have haynes given the wrong code. 3 cm difference between makes seems a bit strange but i know nothing about spark plugs.

thanks in advance ray

Hi, just changed mine, a full set of ngk glowplugs, was easy to change, only needed to undo the dipstick bracket and move it to one side.. :)

can we see what your worn plugs look like compared to new ones.

How often should they be changed and are they expensive

did not see the glow plugs in the end as i got garage to fit new ford glow plugs for me while the car was being looked at because of sticking handbrake.

the plugs i did have were not the correct plugs though. have been in touch with haynes and told them that their info is wrong. they said they would change it for future publications. didnt get my postage money back though :( car started perfect this morning in -10 temp. fecking handbrake still sticking though!!

did not see the glow plugs in the end as i got garage to fit new ford glow plugs for me while the car was being looked at because of sticking handbrake.

the plugs i did have were not the correct plugs though. have been in touch with haynes and told them that their info is wrong. they said they would change it for future publications. didnt get my postage money back though :( car started perfect this morning in -10 temp. fecking handbrake still sticking though!!

Glad you have the glow plug issue sorted. The handbrake sticking is probably a sticking caliper/seized slider or a sticking cable. replaced my rear discs and pads on sunday but couldnt set the handbrake up right as it wasnt releasing fully. so i ordered 2 handbrake cables and 2 calipers, when i started pulling it apart i soon realised the drivers side handbrake cable was the culprit. all sorted now.

If you could lubricate the handbrake cable it might free it up (if it is the problem) failing that disconnecting it from the calipers will soon show whats at fault

How often should Glow Plugs be changed. My first diesel, and now done just short of 90000miles on a 1.8TDCi

Glowies tend to want to be replaced every three years maximum, or every 25000 miles.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club