Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

This Is Why You Don't Drink And Drive

Stoney871

Had to deal with a drink driver tonight, what deep joy.

21 years old, been driving for 12 months and this is the result.

Two and a half times the limit and pretty much certain he's lost his licence after this.

Would you believe he actually drove for over a mile with a locked front wheel.

I came across the car heading down the road making a sound like a wheelie bin being moved.

Worst thing is that it's a courtesy car he was given after crashing his car last week.

What a plum.

Please don't copy him children. :(

dd1.jpg

dd2.jpg

Its the level of intelligence these offenders have that always amazes me. How they pass the driving test in the first place with an IQ of a 4 year old is beyond belief.

I dont suppose the dealer is going to be too happy.

Don't worry unlike some of the young drivers (me included) I actually think before I do something! Which most likely stems back to my cousin being killed in an bad accident almost 10 years ago due to speeding, no seatbelts, small B roads and his friend having no control of the car!

I hope this boy learns his lesson and thinks about how much worse the outcome could have been! And gets a heafty fine & ban.

The fun and games, presuming Stoney that he was with a few friends? in which case, trying to show off certainly wont help. I have made my mistakes in the past, and I find that drinking anything more than about 1-2 units, knocks my confidence far too much. I have driven at under the legal limit (20-24mg I think it was) and that was worrying, it was a short two mile drive home, and an officer very kindly followed me to ensure my safe arrival (this was a while ago). Although I was under the limit, his advice rings true to this day, why take the chance? for a few beers or a few glasses, why risk the next 5 years of your future, for a few drinks that make you feel funny. I was nervous driving that short distance, and it scared the cack outa me, I dread to think how kids, who havent got the tolerance, can get legless, hit 2/3 times the legal limit, and can get into a car and drive!! That to me, seems that they were too drunk to even contemplate fear!

As for the car, well, its a citroen ;) but I doubt the dealer will be doing cartwheels, and neither will his insurance company!

Stoney, have I made this up - are you a dog handler / traffic officer, or both? I dont know where the dog handler came into it! lol

Stoney, have I made this up - are you a dog handler / traffic officer, or both? I dont know where the dog handler came into it! lol

Yes i am a dog handler, I just seem to have the knack of being in the right place at the wrong time.

The fellow driving this car decided that rather than walk to the pub he'd drive.

His first evidentary blow was 77 and his second was 80 so he was getting drunker as time went by.

Most annoying thing was i had to stay at the station for 3 hours sorting him out when i could have been dealing with something way more important.

Reference Traffic Officers, i never fancied being one as the road traffic regulations you have to remember are a horrendous amount of data and my poor old brain doesn't store that much info anymore. :)

Nah, never interested in becoming a black rat, i'm not nasty enough either. :lol:

Working dogs is far more fun and i do so love the little furry so and so's. :wub:

The best thing about them is they can do the running after suspects and i get to save my poor ole legs (mostly).

:) lol, sounds like a sweet deal! :P, plus you get all the cred, and the dogs happy with a chew toy!

77/80, thats quite a blow! the best I have seen on TV is 136! I thought it was a record...

77/80, thats quite a blow! the best I have seen on TV is 136! I thought it was a record...

Was this not the one where the guy didn't seem drunk at all? (Clearly an alcoholic) Or was he another one..?

:) lol, sounds like a sweet deal! :P, plus you get all the cred, and the dogs happy with a chew toy!

When someone blows higher they are at a point when alcohol poisoning can hit.

Bear in mind that a fail breath sample llimit is 35 microgrammes of alcohol per 100 ml of breath which is a BAC of 0.08%.

A reading of 136 is nearly 4 times (3.88 actually) the limit or a BAC of approximately .30% which is at a level when death can occurr due to the body shutting down.

The person's heart can stop, breathing cease and a total shutdown of the nervous system.

Not good at all.

Not something you want to brag about, getting that drunk, if your even capable of bragging that is!

I think the one I saw, was a lorry driver, he drank 24/7 and as you said Ashleigh, he seemed perfectly fine, if it wasnt for the booze in the cab, the officers didnt even suspect him!

I like what my local council used to do, at christmas time, they used to place a stark reminder on the main roundabouts. Every year, you could see multiple cars that were involved in drink driving, where there was a serious collision, with either serious injury, or fatality. something like 4 cars per roundabout, and it really helps to hit home, its a shame though, I havent seen them do it for the last couple of years...

We did the crashed car display this christmas and got loads of calls asking if any parts off it were for sale :blink: .

Not exactly the point we were trying to make. :mellow:

Some people really don't get it.

I have the personal principle that if i'm driving i don't touch a drop.

Perfectly happy to sit in a bar or restaurant with a soft drink.

If all drink drivers were to see just one fatal drink related accident scene up close they would never drink again.

I've seen way to many in my time. :(

Don't see it being worth it drinking and driving.. Just had a mate who did it and wiped half a pub out and two cars, license taken off him and been put on tag.. Think I'd rather stick to the diet cokes and thats saying something!

Think I'd rather stick to the diet cokes and thats saying something!

Too right. :)

Worst one i dealt with was someone had passed their license on a thursday, got drunk on a saturday to celebrate and promptly drove into another car, killing his girlfriend in the process.

No car, no license, a deceased girlfriend and a criminal record all in one fell swoop.

I think he learned that night. :unsure:

Yipes. If that isnt a story for the classroom I dont know what is!

Having déjà-vu.

Just pulled another one who has only had his licence for 2 months and mounted a roundabout at 50mph in a 30 zone.

Blew 86 and 92.

Drunk and getting drunker as time passed.

What a lovely way to waste a misty Monday morning.

Poor dogs are getting severely hacked off.

Problem with drunks is they don't tend to run and this means no excuse to let the furry mantraps loose. :(

half one in the afternoon? wonder what the ocassion was... but two months after getting his license... brave and stupid!

Had a bad one up here before christmas, the boy had only past his test for a couple of weeks or so and was said to have been doing around 70 mph in a 30 zone (at about 7 in the morning!). He must have lost control and went crashing into a small wall and the car ended up on its nose and stayed on its nose. The car was unrecognizable and i'm usually quite good with figuring out which kind of car it is but this one, i had no idea. Unfortunately the boy didn't survive.

But i do wonder sometimes what the hell goes on in some folks minds to drive in such a ridiculous manor, drinking or not! Some people think there invincible when really you're not!

Just a total tool as far as i can tell.

Never any good excuse or a good idea.

It really is a shame when education has to come in the form of a graphic scene, wether for the driver, or for passers by... I know fine well that when my Son learns to drive (as many years away as that may be) the one thing I will teach him is common sense! I will happily get up at stupid o clock to pick him and his friends up, if it means I can sleep knowing he will be coming home that night...

If you really want to know what happens after drink driving Try doing the job I used to do and one that my wife still does, I worked for an undertakers a few years ago, My job involved driving the hearses, limos etc, preparing the deceased for burial or cremation, recovering bodies from homes, railway lines or trashed cars etc. If you think your one little drink wont affect anyone, try carrying the body of a young child into a crematorium where her family and freinds are waiting to say goodbye to her remains after she was mown down by a drunk driver! Or the 18 year old girl that went out on a bender with her mates, after the fire brigade had unwrapped her car from the tree and put the fire out we took her minimal fried remains away to be prepared for her funeral, The car had been a birthday present only a few days before! My wife still deals withthis on a regular basis though on the admin side arranging funerals and comforting families, I was on the sharp end but had to leave due to health issues . Its a shame as although its a grim job it is very rewarding. But believe me, Drinking and Driving, it really isn't worth it !

Having attended many road collisions and some rail accidents too i can relate with your experiences.

I really do think that anyone who thinks driving when drunk is clever or acceptable should have to visit a mortuary to see the aftermath, i'm certain they will never think it's acceptable again.

Alan, your comment really has left a bitter taste in my mouth, and a sickened feeling in my stomach. not in a bad way, but even just reading the aftermath, it has knocked me for six. I can guarantee that by the combined experiences of you and Clive, that there are certainly a lot of tales that would hopefully deter anyone from drink driving.

It moved me, in that I regret any ocassion where I may have been even slightly close to the scale, anything above 0! and although I dont have any intentions to go out, drink and drive, even the temptation is something that would be wiped out immediately by the thought of your post.

Part of me wonders if these sort of images should be shown in learning establishments for old and yound, video's / pictures and graphic details of these incidents to deter anyone from drink driving, and tresspass equally. I cant picture, but can imagine the image of you carrying that young child, and to me, that will probably take a while to leave my mind. If I saw the image, I am not sure I could look at alcohol in the same light, let alone with a set of keys in my hand...

When I joined the RAF many moons ago we had talks about drink an drugs abuse from the RAF Police.

This had a part involving pictures of the aftermath of drug / solvent fuelled violence.

These images were extremely graphic and reduced a room full of larger than life wideboys to very serious and meek men.

The old short sharp shock works very well when applied properly.

I believe similar tactics are employed on some driver re-education courses where they have been banned for serious road offences.

I gather from what you guys are saying that you don't have any campaign kind of things down south?

Up here in the Grampian area we have one called "Safe Drive Stay Alive" which has been running for aslong as 10 years maybe. And every year around November time they hold there campaign, aiming towards the youngsters away to start driving etc. Which the police, ambulance, fire rescue, victims and relatives of those that had sadly passed would tell their side of the story and the aftermath of what happened. Being told all the information & watching a video which they had made up to show us all what can happen, I must say when I went after I had just turned 17 it was quite hard hitting! And when you made your way back outside after, the car that was involved in the accident which they told us about was sitting right at the door... almost unrecognisable :(

Cant say I am aware of too many campaigns down here, as I say, parking the wreckage on the roundabout is the only one I am aware of. then the matrix signs ocassionally light up with "Dont Drink and Drive". I would probably have thought something of a more strong nature (as yours ashleigh) would be better.

I know of young people (how old do I sound!) that have drank, driven and had a serious accident, one of which in fact crashed the car, and his girlfriend flew out the window...

Driving under the influence of Drugs or Alcohol, Speeding, Dangerous Driving, Driving without Insurance, Driving otherwise than in accordance of a license and to top it off a penalty for not ensuring his passengers were wearing seatbelts... thankfully she was OK, but I would hope that the experience itself was enough to shock him, but then to gain a rap sheet that long...!

Drinking and driving isn't too great, been there and done that. Was on private land though so no biggie, but decided to roll my uncle's Range Rover (an oldie) down a ditch and fell asleep upside down in it to wake to him pulling it out with his tractor and giving me a bucket and sponge to clean it up. Not the best way to start a hangover. Saying that it's no worse than what my cousin did, she was banned because she drove into Tesco and then walked off, when the police arrived she went over drunk saying 'look what some idiot did' >_>

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club