Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stubby Ariel

paulaldo

I have seen that you can make your orginal ariel into a stubby one. By putting the rubber end into boiling hot water for about 5 minutes .Then you just pull the end off cut it to lenght you want then put the end cap back on job done.I have tryed this but i cannt get the end cap off.Iam doing this right

I'm gussing the idea is that the heat loosens the glue holding the tip on. What are you using to pull on the tip. Does it feel hot?

How stubby are you going? Do you do much country driving as you may find reception not existent.

I would suggest not going any less than between 16-20 cm minimum (this is in the range of 1/16th of the 88-10Mhz).

If its purely asthetics I'm pretty sure stubbies can be had on eBay for less than a tenner, that way if it doesn't perform you still have the original (which is worth more in its un alterd state).

the rubber isnt that easy to get off i did it with some spares i had i left the rubber in for 20mins then had to use some force to pull it off.be careful cutting the ariel splits easily i did 3 one worked 1 split the ariel and 1 snapped trying to get the rubber off pulling the copper wire out.the reception was rubbish 5quid bought a universal one that has proper reception

I tried a Ford licensed Richbrook stubby ariel on mine. Te reception was that poor I put the original back on. I guess it is the length it is for a reason.

• Like 2

i got a decent reception with mine it has an extra screw on section so that you can extend it if you wish

i got a decent reception with mine it has an extra screw on section so that you can extend it if you wish

Thats a good idea, and will allow you to adjust depending on the reception in your area. Ours is pretty poor, so need all the help it can get.

it was only 7quid a black stubby with the universal fittings and the extension piece. i keep the extension in the car if the receptions poor but its amplified so its good as is

• 2 years later...

The rubber on my aerial was starting to split where it screws onto the base, so seeing the Richbrook stubby antenna listed in the club shop I thought that would do the trick nicely.

Fitted easily enough on the DAB type base and looks ok but FM reception is pretty much pants :( - will just try a couple more stations as my usual one did have poor signal in some places but it's miles worse now. Can't comment on it's use for DAB as I've got a different head unit now.

aerial length is designed around wave length, all sorts of considerations are used to make an aerial and size can make a huge difference.

I perfect aerial for fm should be about 3m long but these can be divided in to chunks

1/4, 1/2, 5/8, full-wave

other tricks can be used like dipole or doubling up within the aerial.

lobbing off a random amount might be ok if you live in a strong signal area but could equally trash it

• Like 2

aerial length is designed around wave length, all sorts of considerations are used to make an aerial and size can make a huge difference.

I perfect aerial for fm should be about 3m long but these can be divided in to chunks

1/4, 1/2, 5/8, full-wave

other tricks can be used like dipole or doubling up within the aerial.

lobbing off a random amount might be ok if you live in a strong signal area but could equally trash it

Vaguely remember aerial length and wavelength being linked, from my long ago time in higher education.

So far Radio 2 is ok but Real XS ain't so good compared to the standard antenna. Will see how it goes and if needed I'll just get a new Ford jobbie instead.

I currently have a stumpy aerial on mine, as the original was broke. Reception is crap, will be getting a full size one again soon.

Sent from my Gen 1 WAP phone

How about I advertise it as a 'Show Aerial'?

:P

You should advertise it as POS :p

• Like 2

Tbf, I haven't got an aerial at the moment.. The base if mine crumbled and now it's just a floppy aerial so I took it off.. So I might be interested, depending on the amount of pennies..

Sent via carrier pigeon using Ford OC

The jury is still out on me getting shut of it - if you do want one anyhow there's quite a few on eBay etc which are priced cheaper than I paid for mine.

Or dearer if you want to pay £137 for one :o