Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car Wobbling/shaking

fintious maximus

Hi all, when car gets to 50 - 60 the whole car starts to wobble or shake. I had new tyres a few weeks ago and noticed a wheel balancing weight on the driveway recently so could it be that? Also a couple of weeks ago had main engine mount replaced after original had cracked. Could it be that the mounts need loosening off and letting the engine idle before tightening up to try and balance the engine? Only two things I can think of - anyone any others?

Get the wheels rebalanced and check the tracking then go from there.

i would start with the simple stuff first and get the wheels rebalanced, when you get them done get them to test the wheels in there currant format without removing any balance weights, this will tell you if they are out of balance as they stand.

took the car into kwik fit today and they said they couldn't rebalance rear o/s as there was uneven tread on the tyre (very worn on inside inch). Uneven wear could be down to worn bush/suspension which does knock occasionaly. However they wanted £160 to put a tyre on and balance 4 wheels and check tracking so i'm going to get a new tyre from elsewhere and ask them to balance the back wheels and see what happens....

Get your bushes checked first ;)

As other member said get bushes cheeked, Then get 4 wheel aliment

Not got round to getting anything checked yet but noticed today that the wobbling stops if clutch pedal is pressed down - if it was wheel balancing i would have thought it would still wobble? I'm thinking it could be drive shaft - any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Dual mass Flywheel screams at me here, has the clutch/flywheel been changed? whats your millage

Car is on 113k and not had clutch changed - clutch seems fine. Noticed now after a few weeks driving that it seems fairly intermitent. Had two new tyres on last week and other two balanced and it was perfect for a few days but is still there occasionally. Don't want a DMF doing so lets hope not!

At that millage you would have more chance winning the lottery, than it not being the dmf, clutch can still feel good, remove the crank sensor an see if its covered in metal fillings

Okay, thanks fo the advice. Do you have a pic/description so I can find the crank sensor?

Dropped into a garage today for someadvice on the matter and they are almost certain that it isn't a DMF issue. Reckon it's a driveshaft and are having a look next Weds. Goodish news for now.

Jacked the car up this morning and took o/s front wheel off for a look around and noticed that the link rod was completely shot to pieces and wobbled outof it's sockets. Got a new one and replaced it and the car wobble appears to have gone (after a quick test run). Could this simple component cause a wobbly shakey car or is it my wishful thinking?

Most definitely the problem.

Too much of a coincidence.

Going out for a longer drive today to make sure it's no wobbly anymore. I'll be gutted if it's not fixed it! Will report back.

Please do keep us posted.

• Like 1

Aaaaargh, gutted. It still wobbles! Have to say though it doesn't seem as bad at low speed. I swear it was gone yesterday. I'm putting it down to drivehaft as that did seem to have a bit more play than I expected so will order one on Weds when folks are back to work. Anyone want to buy a car?

• 4 weeks later...

Update, have been really fed up with this car so have tackled it this week and yesterday removed driveshaft on o/s to find that the inner cv joint was shot to pieces. £40 later for a brand new shaft at Euro carparts and the wobble is gone. Yay, all that grief for a £40 part. Dead chuffed!

Good effort.

Glad you got to the root of the problem at last.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club