Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Occasional "engine Systems Fault" But No Fault Codes?

wideawakewesley

Got in the car yesterday, turned the key to position 3 and got an Engine Systems Fault message. No other warning lights were lit apart from the handbrake. Attempted to start the car and it started fine first time. Didn't want to risk moving the car, so called the AA. They hooked it up to their diagnostic tools but no fault codes were being reported. The electronics were then reset, but the message wouldn't clear. Then took the car out for a spin and the message disappeared after about 20 seconds driving. Car drives normally, no noticeable problems. Got home, parked the car, turned the engine off and removed the key. Then reinserted the key, turned it to position 3 and there was no message. We had a few errands to run around town than day, before an hour and a half drive on the motorway, but the AA guy suggested he would do the journey, but take the car to a garage as soon as convenient if the message came back.

During the run around town, the message did reoccur twice and cleared after 20s driving as before. However it only appeared to happen after the car had been parked at rest (engine off) of at least 10 - 15 mins. If the car was parked at rest (engine off) for a much shorter period, the message didn't appear to re-occur. We have also seen the message flick on once while driving, but for a couple of seconds only and it hasn't done it since. The trip on the motorway gave us no problems and the light didn't come on once. The car continues to start and drive normally, no other warning lights have lit.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what this might be?

Car is a 56 plate Ford Focus TDCi

Got in the car yesterday, turned the key to position 3 and got an Engine Systems Fault message. No other warning lights were lit apart from the handbrake. Attempted to start the car and it started fine first time. Didn't want to risk moving the car, so called the AA. They hooked it up to their diagnostic tools but no fault codes were being reported. The electronics were then reset, but the message wouldn't clear. Then took the car out for a spin and the message disappeared after about 20 seconds driving. Car drives normally, no noticeable problems. Got home, parked the car, turned the engine off and removed the key. Then reinserted the key, turned it to position 3 and there was no message. We had a few errands to run around town than day, before an hour and a half drive on the motorway, but the AA guy suggested he would do the journey, but take the car to a garage as soon as convenient if the message came back.

During the run around town, the message did reoccur twice and cleared after 20s driving as before. However it only appeared to happen after the car had been parked at rest (engine off) of at least 10 - 15 mins. If the car was parked at rest (engine off) for a much shorter period, the message didn't appear to re-occur. We have also seen the message flick on once while driving, but for a couple of seconds only and it hasn't done it since. The trip on the motorway gave us no problems and the light didn't come on once. The car continues to start and drive normally, no other warning lights have lit.

Hi

I suffered similar problem with my Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI climate, the engine management came on and the car eventually jumped into 'limp home mode'.

Anyway I took it to ford and they told me the PDF filter was blocked and could regenerate itself so they did 'Static' regeneration for me at the cost of £90... Maybe you need to take your car on a good run at 2000 rpms for around 15 mins drive down a motor way this usually helps the car to regen itself.

If the PDF filter blocks entirely then your looking at £800 for a new one

I need to double check (bit of a car numpty), but I think we have the 1.8TDCi (cyclinder capacity is 1753). The Haynes Manual says the 1.6 and 2.0 have a particulate filter, but the 1.8 doesn't. I !Removed! hope that's true, although I'll be careful what I wish for as I may have a worse problem.

The 1.8 MK2 Focus does not have a DPF - guaranteed.

The 1.8 MK2 Focus does not have a DPF - guaranteed.

Well that's a bit of good news at least.

I'm not sure what level of diagnostic tools the mechanic brought out to your car - and I'm also making an assumption that the computers are similar in the UK and US Ford cars.

Most generic readers can only access the CAN/OBD-II system and access the engine codes, but Fords usually have several additional computers that require special software to access. On my current and previous Ford vehicles, this was the SRS module (airbag), ABS module (brakes and traction control), GEM module (Pretty much runs everything - controls headlights, wipers, warning lights), and my newest Ford has an additional instrument panel computer which controls the instrument panel and yet another computer in the radio to control things like how loud the volume can go when a Mykey is being used (Very cool feature by the way). Probably has a few more computers in it too.

So what im getting at is try taking it to a Ford dealer and see if they can read the rest of the codes for you

Well that's a bit of good news at least.

Lol well lucky you I'm getting mine removed and remapped as soon as I get paid especially seen as another 7000 miles I'm due the 75000 particulate change! £1000 please lol... think not

What a lot of people forget is garages pay upwards of 7 grand for professional diagnostic equipment so expecting a £20 dongle from eBay to pull up all codes is a big stretch.

What a lot of people forget is garages pay upwards of 7 grand for professional diagnostic equipment so expecting a £20 dongle from eBay to pull up all codes is a big stretch.

What I don't understand (as an IT worker) is why the hell are these codes obscured in such a manner? It seems like a complete racket to make money for dealers. Surely there's no technological reason why they couldn't be output to the owner of a car without the use of any additional equipment.