Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Retread Tyres??

Ash88lfc

Hi i am looking at purchasing new tyres for my car and came across an offer too good to be true id have thought. 4 brand new retread tyres fir £160 is this worth and ill they be ok. Says retread of michelin?? any advice opinions will be appreciated. Thanks.

wouldnt touch them with a barge pole a retread is a used tyre which has simply had the tread relaced the basic structure of the tyre hasnt been touched like the cord etc more often than not the treads are poor quality and many fail given they are not tested in anyway they are cheap as no one wants them considering you can buy better tyres for less why bother a cheaper chinese brand will be good there are many such as haida for example

Also sorry if anyone is up on there tyres i have a question. My tryes on now are 235 45 r17 93v. Will these tyres be ok to fit on or will they be size wise too big 235 45 r17 94v. They are 94 what i am looking at, ive googles this and the 94 code is for load index so IF i changed all these tres to these they will fit on my alooys wont they??? Any help again please. Thanks.

Also sorry if anyone is up on there tyres i have a question. My tryes on now are 235 45 r17 93v. Will these tyres be ok to fit on or will they be size wise too big 235 45 r17 94v. They are 94 what i am looking at, ive googles this and the 94 code is for load index so IF i changed all these tres to these they will fit on my alooys wont they??? Any help again please. Thanks.

yes they will be fine mate,

you may have a higher Psi resistance in the 94 compared to the 93 and a slightly stronger side wall but the same tyre in dimensions and appearance.

and i wouldnt purchase re-threaded tyres mate unless they were for a forklift.

and i wouldnt purchase re-threaded tyres mate unless they were for a forklift.

CLASSIC :D

Surely it is not possible to retread car tyres as they'll just cut through to the core trying. I have heard cheap tyre be called retreads of branded names like Michelin and they basically mean copies of the branded tyre or old patterns that the cheap manufacture bought off a brand. I wonder if this is want they are?

If they are geninually retreads though do not buy!

Personally I would not take the risk.

By all means go for a budget tyre if funds are tight, but not retreads. New tyres have to meet things like EU safety standards. But with retreads you never know. Is the carcass or structure sound? How many potholes did they hit in their life?

By fitting bigger wheels or having a sportier car, you have to accept that tyres will cost more.

A quick look on etyres shows budget tyres in your size at around 75.00 each

And some of the budget brands are actually subsidiaries of larger manufacturers (similar to how Skoda and Audi are related). For example Barum are made by Continental.

But remember that no matter how good your brakes are, or how sporty your suspension is, or how much power you have, ultimately it all goes onto the road via 4 small rubber contact patches about the size of your hand. And your life could depend on that...

Perhaps we should see tyres as an investment, rather than an expense?

thanks for the tyre 94v load weight haa heres the link. On ebay. Would you still deffo say a ney???

http://www.ebay.co.u...#ht_3817wt_1166

Cheers.

NO i wouldnt buy them lol

not even a picture of the sale item on the site and they cant even spell profile.

if this was dragons then then id have to say Im OUT,

the same as the rear end of your car would be, on the first corner you turn if you fitted a set of these rethreaded tyres.

Definitely don't buy them if you read further down the page it says they are used tyres where the old tread is stripped off and new tread added. They sound very dodgy, much better to spend a few more notes as your life might depend on it.

haha im the amateur for kitting my car up at the min. Ill swerve away from these then. Will just go for decent ones from national tyres. Wait till my misses see's my bank account statement hahahaaa. Cheers again fellas.

buying retreads is a disaster waiting to happen.

Buying Budget tyres is acceptable

Buy premium or a trusted brand and expect quality

Jamie

I thought re treads were outlawed years ago? Please dont buy them. You can easily buy low budget tires for your car which are legal and good value.

Retreads have the habit of chucking their teddies out of the cot on hard corners.

Part worn or budget yes - retreads no.

retreads ..they used to be called remolds and they are exactly that ..theres a company near me that specializes in retreading lorry tyre .. what they do is strip of the outer layer of the tyre( machined of on a revolving plate) then they place the bare tyre in a mold( remolds) and inject the new rubber around it adding an extra strip on the sidewalls for scuffing kerbs etc..ever wondered why you see so many strips of lorry tyres on the motorway?..

google retread tyres mate and they will tell you some horror stories only once many years ago did i get 2 done and the rubber started literally peeling off the tyre garage said then they should ban the bloomin things try blackcircles.co.uk they do good tyres at decent prices dont skimp on tyres mate they do more than roll

If I had to pick Retreads or Part Worn (for budget purposes) I would go part worn. You can inspect the tyres for any damage before buying, and I had a pair of part worns on my Focus for a good 10 months, no trouble at all, they worked a treat, gripped a treat, and I bought them with 6mm on them. Because I had literally no money (two tyres for £50) it was the only option I had, or it was £60 and three points per faulty tyre.

If you can buy a cheap tyre, buy one, if you need something super cheap, be careful, but dont buy retreads where possible.

ive had part worns so new the still had the coloured lines on the treads

dont forget ..CR*P tyres means CR*P braking

Owww i would never buy re-tread's , i'm surprized you can still get them TBH

Perhaps we should see tyres as an investment, rather than an expense?

And therein lies the reality of tyre purchase..........

I for one put a value of my nearest and dearest far in excess of that charged for a set of retreads.

After much research I bought what I considered to be the best all round tyres out there, Goodyear Opigrips. Full set fitted [ over eleven months] for £296............on 16's.

Because at a crucial time in the future, either through my own or somebody else's stupidity or just momentary lack of concentration.................when the sh*t is about to finally hit the fan BIG TIME.........................I know I'd have been willing to trade my "eye teeth" for a set of the best tyres out there.

Have you seen those long skid marks on the road.................and on occasion lying in the verge is a strip of tyre tread that appears to have parted company with the rest of the tyre body.....................no doubt retreads or cheap lowest of the low budget tyres.

Definately agree catch, The only thing that stops you braking the car is the tyres and the brake pads. you can stop your car by alternate means, but would you rather spend an extra £50 to £100 on tyres, or the same amount on your insurance excess, followed by a claim?

as a general rule, if you buy budget tyres, you need to drive much more precautionary, bigger gaps, slower paces, and a lot more thinking!

i found that while they were fine braking in the dry the wet was a whole different ball game the grip in the wet was terrible and the abs was always kicking in as the tyres would skid at present i have haida on the rear and matador on the front which are made by Continental and even hard braking in the wet you struggle to get the abs to kick in the tyres just grip and the matadors were a good price

Haida are Chinese, and yes your right the Matador are made in Czechoslovakia by a Continental subsidiary.

Still prefer to put premium quality made in Germany tyres on my motor though. And the reality is, it cost very little more to do that. In fact the cost difference between shodding your motor with Czech made Matador budget tyres, or in my case Goodyear Optigrips is a measly 7.61% extra!

To me it's a no brainer, pay out an extra £23.20 and have your motor kitted out in a full set of four tyres.

For cost compression I used http://ssl.delti.com...ly_Fitted_Tyres

When I had mine done I went straight to my local HiQ and they did them £9 a tyre cheaper than what My Tyres was quoting if I had them fit at HiQ but ordered and paid for via the My Tyres website.

Wet conditions, more so standing water is when the men are sorted from the boys in the world of tyres.

Watch the video by clicking the read more link

http://www.goodyear....igrip/index.jsp

Plus the Goodyear Optigrip tyre has the best user review score for Summer tyres when they have to be used in snow conditions. Check out the scores for that, as well as grip and braking in wet and dry conditions at http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/

I know I keep banging on about the Optigrip, but I researched the !Removed! of tyres. As I had gone from a Volvo esp equipped motor to my present Focus. And on the not so cheap Marangoni Verso tyres it was fitted with when I bought it. I found myself scrabbling about for grip if I wanted a quick pull out turning right across traffic onto a road where the traffic was belting along. And in snow they were all over the place. Hence before I shelled out for new tyres I was determined to do the research.

If you have esp fitted on your motor you can get away with a lot. And being without it that is why I wanted the best scoring tyre in the anti aquaplaning stakes, but also up there with the best in all other aspects of what you want out of a tyre.

I know I rabbit on a bit, but I'm just sharing the knowledge, you can ignore it if you want........wont be offended ;).........................

I don't mean you artscot my old mucker, I meant everybody and anybody in general.

How much do the optigrips cost per tyre at HiQ? they are the 205/55 R16V you have on yours arent they?

I am due to replace my fronts on my Cee'd and am researching, currently between Avon, Michellin EnergySaver and now the Opti's per your recommendation.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club