Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Slightly Lumpy Idle

GavChap

My 100HP 1.6 litre petrol (2005) seems to be a little bit lumpy on idle, nothing major, but you can feel the inconsistent idle through the floor.

Is this normal or maybe is something else wrong? MAF? Ignition leads? It did have the water down the plug hole problem, but that's been fixed and plugs changed.

Id guess a few things. Maybe low battery power, idle cotrol valve, a blocked filter, low oil, blocked breather pipe(s), gunky throttle body, 'a clutch related thing', (ie clutch sticking causing engine to struggle), engine mounts (ie vibrations if worn out), or 1st sign of gasket failure (possibly).

My 1.8 mk2.5 does the same but mine has never had any other issues

Some help would be greatly appreciated ;)

Actually, thinking about it, previously to my 2005 1.6, I had a 2008 1.8, and that felt lumpy too, perhaps it's a ford thing?

Its not a Ford thing and it shouldn't run lumpy. It may be getting air in the intake system which is making it run lean. I would check all the vacuum hoses for leaks/splits initially. A blocked injector would also cause this on idle, so it may be worth putting some redex in the tank and cleaning the fuel system through.

When was the fuel filter last changed? Should be every 25k miles if I remember rightly.

My 1.8 (2008) when idle I can feel mild vibrations in the cabin, it is more noticeable when its warmer outside too. I understand these vibrations are due to the engine working to reduce emissions, my rev needle actually sits in a different position when its warmer i.e. 18 deg c externally than say when its 5deg c! I put my dash instrument panel into diagnostics mode and you can view the RPM digitally and while engine is running its fluctuating between 600-750RPM. Mine has been into fords numerous times and I raised concerns regarding this but they say its normal! hopefully this is the same sympton you're experiencing because its nothing to worry about...

In addition to the above, I only notice these vibrations on idle during summer warmer months and not cold conditions! Have you only just noticed this since temperatures outside have been warmer....

In addition to the above, I only notice these vibrations on idle during summer warmer months and not cold conditions! Have you only just noticed this since temperatures outside have been warmer....

I've only had the car in warmer weather, got it about 1 month ago.

Just noticed tonight that it seems to wobble up and down from around 720 to 800 rpm when idle using the dash trick to show you real numbers. There's a cut on the boot of one of the plug at the coil pack end, so wondering if I should change those, it seems someone's changed one of the leads before as I have 2 marked as number 1 in the set.

Anyone know the price direct from Ford?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club