Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Starting Issues.. Grrr

Brigante

Getting fed up of posting these topics on here now :(

But I have yet another issue with my poor focus.

During my ownership of the car it has failed to start on 3 occasions;

The first was in works car park after a night shift after it had been raining, it didn't start the first time, thought it was a bit strange, tried a second time and it started perfectly and I drove home.

The second was in Morrisons car park when we had that recent heatwave, this time was worse and it took about 3 attempts to start, it will make the noise of it trying to turn over but it won't start so I'll have to switch it back off and try again till it finally starts.

The third time was parked on the driveway, again in the heatwave, this time was the worst and it took about 5 attempts and it still wouldn't start. Went back in the house for maybe a minute, got back in the car and it started this time first time.

I noticed on one of the occasions the check battery light popped up on the dash for a second or two.

Took it to Halfords soon after to have the battery tested, it only showed 47% start power and was the original ford battery that was put in the car 7 years ago. We put it down to this and I purchased a Bosch silver battery for around for just under a £100 fitted. This was only 3 weeks ago on Friday the 13th, if your superstitious (unlike me) you'll notice a pattern emerging cause I also bought the car on the earlier Friday the 13th of this year.

Anyway.. Parked in Tesco car park with the Missus today, when we got back in the car, it wouldn't start.. Took about 5 attempts then it finally started. It can't be a problem with the battery itself cause it's a brand new Bosch silver not even a month old.

Has anyone on here got any advice or ideas on what the problem may be?

Already thinking of trying to P/X it in for what I can get for it and get another Ghia if possible.

When you had the battery replaced was the alternator charging rate checked to make sure you always have a fully charged battery?

When you had the battery replaced was the alternator charging rate checked to make sure you always have a fully charged battery?

Like he said.. no point having a new battery of the alternator (charger) doesn't charge it!

there was an issue where the battery was being drained by i think it was the pcm or summat not switching off alternatively it could be a dodgy sensor somewhere i know when i had the issue on my mk1 it was the idle control valve il be honest h doubt you have one. that said the underbonnet temps are monitored by the pcm when you switch the car off if they get high it switches the fan on.

as said make sure its charging dont use Halfords to check it and it wouldnt be the first faulty battery ive seen

Not that I can remember, how would he of checked this?

I think I may have worked the problem out and It may be nothing, I almost always wait for all the lights on the dash to go out to allow the fuel pump time to prime, I say always because like today I didn't realize how fast I turned the key till I did it, and turned it before the lights had gone out, then immediately though oh s**t and thought it's not gonna start now.. and it didn't.

I reckon this may be it, gonna also put some redex through to clean the fuel line and injectors as suggested by Lenny in case it is something as silly as a bit of dirt stopping it starting.

Also I'll look into getting the alternator tested

I think I may have worked the problem out and It may be nothing, I almost always wait for all the lights on the dash to go out to allow the fuel pump time to prime, I say always because like today I didn't realize how fast I turned the key till I did it, and turned it before the lights had gone out, then immediately though oh s**t and thought it's not gonna start now.. and it didn't.

I reckon this may be it, gonna also put some redex through to clean the fuel line and injectors as suggested by Lenny in case it is something as silly as a bit of dirt stopping it starting.

The charging rate should have been checked with a volt meter while the engine was running.

Maybe. is ita diesel? some of our diesels at work take a few sefonds to pre heat or whatever they do. If you try and start them straight away they don't Catch on, and if they eventually do there's a lot of smoke..

Maybe. is ita diesel? some of our diesels at work take a few sefonds to pre heat or whatever they do. If you try and start them straight away they don't Catch on, and if they eventually do there's a lot of smoke..

Nope it's a petrol, I know with deisels you gotta wait from when I've driven em through work.

Just the way today I hastily got in the car and turned the key straight away and as soon as I did it I thought to myself I did that way to quick and now it's not gonna start

there is a little known issue the pcm etc stores the current temp as it switches off if theres a few degrees of a difference from when you switched off till you start again the fuel is measured on the old temperature meaning its either to rich or to weak it was a mk1 issue that ford admitted to and the pcm was updated.

they test the charge rate by checking the voltage with the engine off then they should get you to put the lights on the voltage would drop then switch lights off and start the car the battery voltage should increase. i had 2 new batteries with faulty cells 3rd was fine

Nope it's a petrol, I know with deisels you gotta wait from when I've driven em through work.

Just the way today I hastily got in the car and turned the key straight away and as soon as I did it I thought to myself I did that way to quick and now it's not gonna start

Don't quote me, but I don't think that'll make a difference. I have powerstart button, and press it the second I get in, which turns the engine on straight away, by passing turning the key one switch.

I could be wrong though.

Don't quote me, but I don't think that'll make a difference. I have powerstart button, and press it the second I get in, which turns the engine on straight away, by passing turning the key one switch.

I could be wrong though.

Was thinking about that, must just be a big coincidence then that every time it's not started, it's been when I've turned the key while the lights are still on. I'll still have to try the redex in case it is some dirt.

the powerstart has had many documented issues where its doing the same as above again ford did a pcm update

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club