Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stolen Keys

Bigmaz

Hi guys

I have had my keys stolen for my Focus 1.6 Ghia, they were my only set of keys. I phoned Ford, and they said that I need to replace the whole locking system, which is going to cost hundreds of pounds, something like £400. Just wondering if this is correct? Or if there are any other options for me?

Cheers

Martin

Hi guys

I have had my keys stolen for my Focus 1.6 Ghia, they were my only set of keys. I phoned Ford, and they said that I need to replace the whole locking system, which is going to cost hundreds of pounds, something like £400. Just wondering if this is correct? Or if there are any other options for me?

Cheers

Martin

The dealer will be able to connect the car to their computer and programme a key to unlock and lock the doors,

but you would need a new ignition barrel because their is no existing key to take a copy of in order to cut an additional key.

the dealer will be able to disable the wireless central locking from the key that has been stolen,

then if you glue over the door locks to prevent the theif from opening the door manually this will safe guard the car from being stolen until you get the new locks, but ford can currently diasble all wireless fobs that are currently connected.

Get a mobile auto locksmith around, he'll get the door open and produce a passive key for you for about half that.

They have adaptive keys which will take the pattern of your lock barel and as the same key will fit your ignition you will not need to change your barrel. (sorry to jump over you Lenny)

No need to replace any lock at all.

You'll just have to sort out a remote key for yourself, but if you're lucky the locksmith may be able to source one for you.

I've attended loads of lock out situations on various cars including Fords and never seen the locksmiths have to recommend lock replacements.

Pity you're not in Devon as I could recommend a good locksmith.

google keyman stirling. give him a phone. might be able to give you some advice over phone and its only about 20 miles from you so he might travel out to you.

he replaced a key on my car for peanuts (non remote). also keeps remote ones in his van.

if you do not change the barrel whats stopping the thief coming back with the original keys.

if you do not change the barrel whats stopping the thief coming back with the original keys.

Where we're your keys stolen from?

If nowhere near your car then the chance of them finding the right one is very small.

Even if they get into your car the locksmith can remove all old keys from the authorised list so they will not be able to start the car.

Each key can be added or removed from the PatsII system.

Just checked with my locksmith mate, he reckons that the shape of key on your car cannot be calculated with a lock reader.

Apparently Ford needs to read the vin and registration and in combination with your V5 documents and another proof of I.D will calculate a remote unlock signal.

Unfortunately apparently only Ford have that kit.

You are best off ringing your local dealer for advice on this.

Thanks a lot guys for all your replies, really appreciate it, and thank Stoney for going out of your way to ask about it. I spoke to Ford dealer, and they said the whole locking system needs replaced. Thats why I was hoping there was a cheaper option going away from the dealer. Its a 52 Plate, and maybe worth about £800, so would be an expensive job on such a car. Just wondering if its worth it

hi

have you checked with your insurance, if you have fully comp cover for the key might be included

focus3man

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club