Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Heater Fan Blower Only Works On No4

lurky

Hi Everyone

Just bought a focus lx 1.8 tddi estate 54 plate registered 2005. My problem is, found that this is a common fault on the focus ,searched the net found plenty of pics on how to change the "blower/fan module" my problem, there is no module on the r/h side behind the glove box.yet everything else looks the same as all the pics i have seen. Could somebody please help me out with this, a link would be great on how to remove the fan as i'm guessing the module must be on there.

Many Thanks

Lurky

Heater resistor, easy as heck to replace, up in the passenger footwell, loads of how-to guides out there

it can be a pain to find, if you practically lie in the footwell it should be located onthe right hand side near to the centre console

Instead of paying over the odds for a new resistor go on the vauxhall forum and look up heater resistor repair and just replace the resistor on the top 98p from maplin ten minute fix done loads on vectras and it does work

• 7 months later...

I will vouch for Stead's comment about repairing unit as I did it myself yesterday! unfortunately I encoutered a slight problem with the new thermal fuses supplied by Maplin, partially my own fault as I got into a discussion with salesman taking my eye off the ball and allowing him to sell me wrong ones, 120 degrees instead of 220! this proved a real pain when I soldered it into place as it takes around 170 degrees to menlt solder! result I blew first one straight away but came up with a solution to use the second one I used some cut down spade connectors and simply crimped the new one on result blowers now work perfectly.

I can do a step by step guide if anyone is interested.

Phil

great glad the cheap fix worked if you had a small 10/15 amp block conector and took the plastic installation off the cut in two all you do is sit it on top of where you took the old resistor off and bend the ends off the new one to sit in and srew together like you would two wires ie one in either end.

great glad the cheap fix worked if you had a small 10/15 amp block conector and took the plastic installation off the cut in two all you do is sit it on top of where you took the old resistor off and bend the ends off the new one to sit in and srew together like you would two wires ie one in either end.

I got a bit more involved than that and crimped the new fuse in place (after blowing first one :oops: ) but as you say same idea (I'd just run out of small terminal block (and I was not going to pay maplins price for that!)

Phil

Tried changing thermal fuse on mine with no joy !

Tried changing thermal fuse on mine with no joy !

Does your blower motor work on 4? if not you have a different problem

Have you tested fuse since replacing to make sure it has not blown again?

Have you checked your pollen filter?

Have you got wet carpets in the footwell?

Reasons behind above questions:-

If blower does not work on 4 then the motor is not working (check/replace fuse try blowers again and recheck fuse) if it has blown then you have a problem with motor it is worth taking it out and spinning it manually, that fixed mine (after a little lubrication)

If the thermal fuse blew again immediately I suggest that you may have either a problem with your motor (see above) the pollen filter is blocked or the seal on the bottom of your windscreem has gone allowing water in through the heating ducts/pollen filter housing (this explains wet carpets) and allows water into fan unit, removal spin up and a good dose of WD40 might even fix that for you. The thermal fuse will get damned hot and blow if the resistance in the motor is too high. sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the seal thing can be the worst meaning you HAVE to replace the motor but the good news is 95% of time you can still get away without buying a new heater blower resistor, simply do the maplins fix again.

Phil

My heater has only worked on 3+4 since I got it, fitted new resistor and it worked on all settings but that blew in a few minutes, checked fan and its running free. Tried putting a new thermal fuse on my old resistor and still only working on 3+4

My heater has only worked on 3+4 since I got it, fitted new resistor and it worked on all settings but that blew in a few minutes, checked fan and its running free. Tried putting a new thermal fuse on my old resistor and still only working on 3+4

Ok then you do have a slightly different problem. First replace pollen filter and replace the heater blower resistor unit (it is possible for the individual resistors to go down) but hold off for a week or two I might be able to get you a resistor unit for the cost of postage (no promises but I will try, a friend of mine regularly breaks them) but please replace pollen filter, they only cost a few quid (mine was £4.00 from a regular motorparts shop) it will save you masses of problems in the future.

Phil

Ok then you do have a slightly different problem. First replace pollen filter and replace the heater blower resistor unit (it is possible for the individual resistors to go down) but hold off for a week or two I might be able to get you a resistor unit for the cost of postage (no promises but I will try, a friend of mine regularly breaks them) but please replace pollen filter, they only cost a few quid (mine was £4.00 from a regular motorparts shop) it will save you masses of problems in the future.

Phil

Cheers Phil that would be great if you could and I will get a filter this week.

Phil

• 1 month later...

Hi Phil

Have you solved this? I have a Focus ST coming apart this week (no special bits likely to come my way but) should have your fan resistor unit very soon next weekend hopefully! I have to romove the alarm system and a few bits and pieces so I get the odd freebee!

Send me a pm with your details if you still want it.

Phil

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club