Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whining Noise From Engine

jarrvo

Hi,

last night whilst returning home and pulling into the drive there was a slight whine coming from the engine bay.

The whine return this morning

Its only noticeable between 1,000 - 2,000 revs.

Noticeable whilst accelerating and slowing

no noise whilst in neutral and coasting

If revved whilst in neutral it appears

Now are the any thoughts?

I had a quick google it most likely culprits seem to be fan belt or a hole in the turbo hose.

thanks for any replies :)

Jarv

I was going ti suggest the fan belt first, make sure its not frayed first

water pump and tensioner need to be checked too

This happened to mine - it ended up being the alternator.

I can't remember exactly, but I think that something was up with the battery, causing the alternator to put out extremely high voltages, so it overheated and some bearing failed. I'm not that clued up on cars, so this doesn't make sense to me, but I think this is what the mechanic said!

Just beware that this meant my car failed to start, and I charged the battery a bit to get it started and noticed my lights were getting dimmer on the journey to the garage.

Hope this helps! :).

• 5 weeks later...

Thank you both for the replies, sorry i forgot i had posted this :unsure:

I parked the car up over the christmas period as i was mostly away, when i returned the noise had stopped so i assumed the issue had fixed itself (wishful thinking i know).

Then whilst driving down the M1 last week my battery light came on, a few moments later the abs light came on followed by loss of power steering!

This was a little disconcerting to the say the least, i made it on to the hard shoulder of the slip road and called the RAC, he quickly diagnosed the alternator had failed and after a charge i made it home and rung around a few garages for a quote. These ranged from £185 to £456! to replace the alternator and check the battery.

It appears the alternator was putting out just enough juice to keep the battery barely charged, once the cold snap arrived and the heated screen was used this was enough to push it over the edge.

The car is now sorted at a total cost of £270 which i a little more than expected but i now having a working car once again, first thing i noticed was how bright the lights are! I must have gradually got used to them getting dimmer and dimmer.

Ive now changed my route to work, its a little bit longer but takes in few motorway miles so at least the battery will get a little bit of charge.

Thanks once again

Always good to hear feedback on these things - its another one for the info banks!

£270 isnt too bad for an alternator replacement, was that all in with labour and VAT?

Yeah it was all in with labour and vat, i think it broke down roughly as

Alternator £130 + vat

Belt £20 +vat

Labour 2hrs @ £80 +vat

Which is a good price, but was about to part ex it for a new car which will have to wait a few weeks now :(

Did you get the smart charge alternator for that price or was it a normal?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club