Do Not Sell My Personal Information

just changed slave cyliner now wont go into gear

scottydog

I've just changed the slave cylinder on a 1.4 51 reg on Saturday afternoon, as it was pouring out fluid. While the box was off I noticed the clutch was quite new, & not worn, so didn't change it. Put it all back together, bled it & road tested it. All fine. Now tonight got in it & it wouldn't go into reverse. Now cant get it in any gear. Do you think I just need to bleed it a bit more, or could it be the selector cables need adjusting? If so, how do I adjust them? I did actually notice before the slave cylinder went, that the gear lever was quite loose, even when in gear.

I've just changed the slave cylinder on a 1.4 51 reg on Saturday afternoon, as it was pouring out fluid. While the box was off I noticed the clutch was quite new, & not worn, so didn't change it. Put it all back together, bled it & road tested it. All fine. Now tonight got in it & it wouldn't go into reverse. Now cant get it in any gear. Do you think I just need to bleed it a bit more, or could it be the selector cables need adjusting? If so, how do I adjust them? I did actually notice before the slave cylinder went, that the gear lever was quite loose, even when in gear.

HI MATE

it sounds like air in the system if it was ok after it was fitted and youve road tested it ,, try another bleed regarding the sloppy gearlever it will be the gearleaver spring will have snapped which is located at the gearlever end remove the centre console the spring is about 41p at dealer bit fiddly to do ,,,,

mk1 :ph34r:

what method of bleeding did you use? pressure or vaccum? clutches can be a right PITA to bleed and the vacuum method is probably the best.

I bled it by pumping up the pedal, holding it down, then my mate undone the nipple, let the fluid/air out then done it up again. Repeated this bout 100 times! Was ok but I think there must still be air trapped. I was told today by a very well trusted mechanic, to just undo the nipple, keep the reservoir topped up, & let it gravity bleed. Wot do you reckon? I'm going to look at it tomorrow nite after work.

The clutch can be a PITA to bleed. I invested in a bleed kit that plugs onto a tyre valve, it makes the job a doddle and only needs one person to do it. It is also well handy for purging the fluid from brake/clutch systems prior to a fluid change, Hope this helps, good luck. P.S. you will need a foot pump to reinflate your tyre.

I bled it by pumping up the pedal, holding it down, then my mate undone the nipple, let the fluid/air out then done it up again. Repeated this bout 100 times! Was ok but I think there must still be air trapped. I was told today by a very well trusted mechanic, to just undo the nipple, keep the reservoir topped up, & let it gravity bleed. Wot do you reckon? I'm going to look at it tomorrow nite after work.
The clutch can be a PITA to bleed. I invested in a bleed kit that plugs onto a tyre valve, it makes the job a doddle and only needs one person to do it. It is also well handy for purging the fluid from brake/clutch systems prior to a fluid change, Hope this helps, good luck. P.S. you will need a foot pump to reinflate your tyre.

yep as said by pipewrench, clutches are a PITA!! pumping the pedal doesnt really work. sounds like you have got air trapped in the system. the gunson bleeding kit that uses air from the spare tyre is quite good for doing the job and costs around £16 from the likes of Halfords.

you might need to pump the pedal and use the bleeding kit together to get all the air out.

I've found the best way to bleed clutches is to reverse bleed them. Pump fluid up the bleed nipple instead of pumping it out.

Hi, just spent hour and half doing it the old fashioned way. Loads of air coming out, but pedal is resistant now, & goes into every gear sweet as a nut. Cheers!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club