Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Space Saver Wheels

Thorpester

Anyone, I've been involved in an accident this morning and I've got to arrange for someone to come out and assess the damage. Really mad, as I probably will be told it will be a write off. Driver's door is damaged, the sill and maybe the strut. I put 2 new tyres on the front at a cost of £250, but I want to keep my alloys, as you'd expect. As my alloys are 17 inch, I basically need to know if I can put 4 space saver wheels on my car and if I can even use 14, 15 or 16 inch space savers so the loss assessors don't profit at my expense. Also, can I use any 5 stud space saver wheel. Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure how they would react if you place 4 space savers on the car, you may invalidate your insurance , if your worried about the tyres , then if they write it off you can try and claim extra for the cost of the tyres.

if you suspect that you will lose your wheels, buy 4 steel wheels and replace the ones on there at the moment, pop down to a used tyre dealer, and pick up four of their cheapest yet road legal tyres.

as Preee said, replacing with four space savers WILL invalidate your insurance...

tampering with the car before the assessor comes will invalidate the claim as it will look like youre trying to hide something if the wheels look out of place they will notice they also are aware of what came standard on the car as they have it on there clip board

Thanks for the responses already. Just checking again, can I put another size wheel on instead of the 17 inch alloys I have?

Just be aware if they think you have altered anything they will invalidate your claim.

Call your insurance company and advise that you wish to keep the alloys as they are aftermarket and don't want them to be lost in the claim. Ask them if they will permit the provision of the same size steel wheels with exactly the same tyres that are on the vehicle (after inspection) if they wish to write the vehicle off.

Some insurance companies will be fine with this, as they will only get the car scrapped and as long as they get it in the equivelant condition, they may well permit it. Its not a case that as of the accident, the vehicle is theres and tampering with it before disposal is a criminal offence so the worst thing you can do is ask them. if they say no, you lose your alloys, if they say yes, even better. If you change the wheels and it invalidates your claim... you stand to lose a lot more!!!

If you changed from your standard wheels and didn't notify your insurance company then a/ the policy will be void, and/or b/ they will only pay you for original wheels.

If you declared them then the insurance company should value the car with the after-market wheels taken into consideration.

Cheers everyone, don't want to invalidate my insurance, so I've left everything as it was at the time of the accident. The assessor's been out and told me that it's a write off, and so I've been in contact with insurance case handlers, who have confirmed I can keep the brand new tyres I brought at the weekend, so I need to get that arranged now.

Anyone, I've been involved in an accident this morning and I've got to arrange for someone to come out and assess the damage. Really mad, as I probably will be told it will be a write off. Driver's door is damaged, the sill and maybe the strut. I put 2 new tyres on the front at a cost of £250, but I want to keep my alloys, as you'd expect. As my alloys are 17 inch, I basically need to know if I can put 4 space saver wheels on my car and if I can even use 14, 15 or 16 inch space savers so the loss assessors don't profit at my expense. Also, can I use any 5 stud space saver wheel. Thanks in advance.

Sorry to hear about your accident,

Fitting four space savers, even a space saver on the front of any car is a serious safety risk,

I'm sure if you look on youtube you will find the episode of fifth gear where a car flips over at 40mph turning a slight corner

While rolling on four space savers,

A space saver is designed and rated purely to allow you to get off a motorway or to a tyre fitters not for daily running.

They are way too skinny to use for general driving and the lower road contact area is why they are speed limited.

If I had my way space savers would be banned as they're as much use as a chocolate teapot.

I'd quite gladly bin mine and source a full size wheel and relevant boot spacers/carpet if I could find them at a decent price.

Still the saver is far better than the inflation pack in some Fords which seen purely designed to ruin the inside of the rims.

My personal choice? Call out a mobile tyre fitter and hang the expense.

The only thing a space saver is good for...... is producing loads of smoke when your about to scrap the car ;) burnout city with them on!

That was long in my youth however lol

Agree with all the above space savers are dangerous ive seen them on cars doing 60 down the dual carriageway so the speed ratings useless you cant always adhere to that speed and be safe the inflation kits only work on small punctures and as said make a mess of the rims ive seen guys at the tyre place tellinf people they need a new rim before they can put the tyre on to me its another money making scam a full size wheel did the job years ago and is the simplest option

A space saver is designed and rated purely to allow you to get off a motorway or to a tyre fitters not for daily running.

They are way too skinny to use for general driving and the lower road contact area is why they are speed limited.

If I had my way space savers would be banned as they're as much use as a chocolate teapot.

I'd quite gladly bin mine and source a full size wheel and relevant boot spacers/carpet if I could find them at a decent price..

Currently selling the genuine ford boot space kit including specific boot carpet for 110 pounds exc. Delivery,

Not sure how much delivery would be, but if interested I can get you a quote if interested,

That's:

Boot carpet,

Space storage surround,

Extended tyre clamp rod.