Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Another Ford Wheel Brace Destroyed!

Scott TDCI

Today i was making the most of the nice weather and decided to take of my wheels and clean the insides. I haven't owned her for long so i have never taken the wheels of before.

BUT my front driver side wheel is stuck on! the wheel nuts are so tight the focus wheel brace broke! so i dug around in my dads shed got out a sliding breaking bar and bent that! the old man had a go to but nothing, 4 out of 5 nuts still not budging.

And on one of the nut caps rounded of when the brace broke, so not a good day of cleaning at all :(

Anyone know if i can just buy a new nut somewhere for when i get the ruined one off? - is it worth replacing all my nuts on the car?

Lucky wheel braces are a lot cheaper than i was thinking - good old amazon!

Google has shown me this happens a lot, just wondering how people fixed theres!

I'm planing on going down a local garage and asking them to loosen them with a air gun.

I know what you mean about the wheel braces, i broke a renault one a while back - proper nasty.

I can strongly recommend a tool like this to keep in the boot

'>CLICK HERE

Your local Ford dealer will be able to supply a wheel nut

I know what you mean about the wheel braces, i broke a renault one a while back - proper nasty.

I can strongly recommend a tool like this to keep in the boot

CLICK HERE

Your local Ford dealer will be able to supply a wheel nut

thanks i like the look of that was a bit worried about buying more rubbish tools :)

just hoping the garage will whip the nuts of for me, might even ask ford if im buying a nut and possibly a brace if they are cheap

It's because garages whack the wheels on with windy guns that so many people have problems with seized /rounded wheel nuts.

It's not a formula one pitstop for heavens sake!

What's wrong with the good old wheel brace?

It's because garages whack the wheels on with windy guns that so many people have problems with seized /rounded wheel nuts.

It's not a formula one pitstop for heavens sake!

What's wrong with the good old wheel brace?

no idea, wish the nuts were better quality aswell

I use a half inch drive long handled knuckle bar to loosen mine, then whip them off with either my cordless drill or wheel brace spider

I have had a telescopic wrench in the boot the last four or five years, they are excellent tools and make wheel nut removal and sufficient tightening a doddle!

You can pick them up on eBay for around a fiver, and whether RAC branded or unknown they are all built like hummers in comparison to the "as standard" solution provided by Ford...

no idea, wish the nuts were better quality aswell

Can't speak for the quality of your wheel nuts :lol: but one of the biggest problems is poor fitting sockets!

one of my pet hates in the trade...its just laziness

i use a battery wheel gun to just nip them up, then go round with a power bar once wheels are on the ground, but put the effort only halfway up the bar.

recommend getting a single hex, good quality socket for wheel nuts, reduces risk of rounding off when you come across an overtightened nut....have ended up with power bars with scaffold poles slid over the top and still struggle, on more than one occasion...madness

all wheel nuts should be 'torqued up' but when was the last time you saw a fast fit cnt do this, its usually zip zip with the air gun and thats it, the electric torque guns are handy bits of kit as they shock the nut off and come with good quality sockets.i keep one in the boot and its suprising how many people ask to borrow it.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club