Do Not Sell My Personal Information

noisy power steering

Dawnl

Hi,

My power steering started making a loud whurring noise when I was turning a 90 degree right turn in low gear.

I took it straight to the garage and when the technician took the cap off the fluid was bubbling.

He said that he'd seen this before and to book it in. He also said that the one before had to have either the steering (rack or the column I can't remember which one) replaced. Although he did advise that the car is still OK to drive just a bit noisy and that I may find the steering a bit heavier at times.

He also said that I may find that the problem just goes away, either way the cars booked in and hopefully all my hitches will be sorted before the warranty runs out.

When I used the car this morning the noise didn't start until about 15 mins of town driving, it is only happening in low gear when turning.

Hi,

My power steering started making a loud whurring noise when I was turning a 90 degree right turn in low gear.

I took it straight to the garage and when the technician took the cap off the fluid was bubbling.

He said that he'd seen this before and to book it in. He also said that the one before had to have either the steering (rack or the column I can't remember which one) replaced. Although he did advise that the car is still OK to drive just a bit noisy and that I may find the steering a bit heavier at times.

He also said that I may find that the problem just goes away, either way the cars booked in and hopefully all my hitches will be sorted before the warranty runs out.

When I used the car this morning the noise didn't start until about 15 mins of town driving, it is only happening in low gear when turning.

Hi,

not heard about this. Have heard about a steering pump noise which some guys fixed by replacing a pipe and others just left as is. It was a 2.0 tractor though, petrol power steering is different to the diesel ones.

Anyway what the guy said makes sence. It is not that dangerous but still in a car like this everything should be perfect and if they replace the rack on warranty, why not.

Good luck

• 3 weeks later...

Car went in yesterday for diagnostics to be carried out and they have got to replace the steering rack, something todo with the valves not pumping the fluid. lucky its still in warranty, it goes in next week.

Maybe this is another problem like the alarm module.

Hi,

not heard about this. Have heard about a steering pump noise which some guys fixed by replacing a pipe and others just left as is. It was a 2.0 tractor though, petrol power steering is different to the diesel ones.

Anyway what the guy said makes sence. It is not that dangerous but still in a car like this everything should be perfect and if they replace the rack on warranty, why not.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...
Car went in yesterday for diagnostics to be carried out and they have got to replace the steering rack, something todo with the valves not pumping the fluid. lucky its still in warranty, it goes in next week.

Maybe this is another problem like the alarm module.

I have this very same problem :) will get it checked out at the next services with all the other problems :)

Hi,

The car went in thursday, then came back over the bank holiday weekend as the parts had to be ordered, I thought I'd give them the extra day so we booked for wednesday, It went in then came back as the girl at the office forgot to verify the part order so it hadn't been sent!!!!!!

It went back on the thursday (feeling some what like a yoyo) the steering rack was replaced and the problem was still not sorted,

Soooooo it went back on friday as the parts had to be ordered overnight. It came back and touch wood it is fine.

The garage said that some valves that pump the fluid also had to be replaced,

on the docket there are some other parts which I can't really read what they are, but as we had to go to the garage today (tuesday) to even get a copy of what work was carried out ( as apparently because it was a warranty job I wouldn't normally not get a job sheet!!!)

still it is nice to know what they have been doing with my car for the last week not just giving it a well deserved rest in their car park.

If yours is still in warranty I'd get it sorted double quick, because I dread to think how much all this would have cost.

Good Luck

I have this very same problem :) will get it checked out at the next services with all the other problems :)

• 14 years later...

Had this issue on a customers smax, found it to be debris from the rack blocking the filter at the bottom of the reservoir, we took the pipes off cleaned the filter and flushed through,  the noise has gone and  new rack is on order.

This thread had been totally dead for 14 years !!

Complete your profile and start a new thread with your details and question.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club