Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Xreg 2000 Focus - What Is This Engine Part???

Dark_Angel_Arus

Hello all,

A lil' while ago, mr car started to struggle and stall when running idle.

It was also basically running like a 3 legged dog!

Under the bonnet I could hear a hissing noise, and eventually found the source.

There is a small unit at the back of the engine, with a snapped off air pipe.

Here is the unit itself:

post-44029-0-96089300-1375452507_thumb.j

And here is a pic of the engine, with the unit located at the rear left.

post-44029-0-66505400-1375452556_thumb.j

After wedging the pipe to the unit with a small plastic tube, the car started running well again.

Can anybody tell me what this part is called, and where I can buy one?

Thanks!

Arus

where you can buy one... a toyota dealer... the answer where to get it is written on the front and rear of your car and the steering wheel.

as to what that part is i dont know but the parts guys at ford will know

Thanks for the sarcastic and completely unhelpful response.

I know what Ford is, I was looking for a 3rd party cheaper site, And without knowing what the part is called, it would be pretty hard to explain what it is.

Serious offers of advice from someone who knows what they are talking about are very welcome!

What you should do is go to ford anyways, find out the part number and details get a price then compare it to others, 3rd party isn't always the cheapest.

Very sure ford or any car dealer in general get pretty annoyed with this but oh well

hmm...if that square box is part of the round cannister directly underneath, then it has to be the EVAP otherwise known as the

evaporative emission canister purge valve.

ford part only i believe, but worth checking...should quite easily get a second hand one though as they are a fairly robust part, dont think ive ever changed one in 20 yrs

failing that, could always drill out the hole a tiny bit, fit a copper brake pipe nice and snugly into it, then refit the vacuum pipe, should work fine as long as pipe is tight enough

• Like 1

hmm...if that square box is part of the round cannister directly underneath, then it has to be the EVAP otherwise known as the

evaporative emission canister purge valve.

ford part only i believe, but worth checking...should quite easily get a second hand one though as they are a fairly robust part, dont think ive ever changed one in 20 yrs

failing that, could always drill out the hole a tiny bit, fit a copper brake pipe nice and snugly into it, then refit the vacuum pipe, should work fine as long as pipe is tight enough

Just Google'd 'Ford Focus EVAP' and that's exactly what it came up with!

Thanks for that, now I can do some searches for it :D

Thanks a lot for that. The used one sounds good to me.

I'm sure they're pretty sturdy units so used should be OK.

This was most likely broken bu someone working on the car, and thought that a bit of super glue would do the trick!

It's a shame that this forum does not have the 'thanks' function!

Just a click on the like button is sufficient.

Always glad to help where possible.

id like to apologise for my response but it was a quite obvious question that was asked.

why do you ASSUME that ford are going to be 'expensive'? more often than not they work out cheaper than buying a non genuine part/parts. no point i going straight to a non genuine part when you dont know the price that ford charge.

id like to apologise for my response but it was a quite obvious question that was asked.

why do you ASSUME that ford are going to be 'expensive'? more often than not they work out cheaper than buying a non genuine part/parts. no point i going straight to a non genuine part when you dont know the price that ford charge.

Hello, Thanks for the apology.

My main query was the identity of the part, so that I could look at my options for purchasing one.

Usually before going to Ford, I like to look at 2nd hand options, especially for parts like this when a 2nd hand part would be fine, as the issue with mine was obviously physical damage by the previous owner rather than part failure.

If no 2nd hand option were available, I would then have contacted Ford, and other parts suppliers, but would have a hard time doing so without knowing what the part is, or what to even search for to find out!

Unfortunately I don't have the time to go to a Ford dealer of repair center just to find out what it is, so thought that the best place to ask would be the forums, where there will likely be a number of people who would know it straight away.

Funnily enough I have a Toyota Celica, so when you said 'a toyota dealer', I had to check that I wasn't talking about the wrong car!

O_o In case anybody was wondering, Ford are asking £78 for a new unit.

It did take me about 20 mins to get them to find it, as 'in 20 years' they had never heard if an 'EVAP Purge Valve'.

I even directed him to pics of it on Google.

In the end I managed to find the part number on the unit and he found it that way! - Had to clean off a layer of grime to see it!

Thanks for all the help finding it!

• 5 weeks later...

Hello all,

Thanks for the above help.

The EVAP has been replaced with a £7 preowned one and works fine.

However, there is still a lot of juddering when idle.

An engine warning light popped up claiming that the system was to lean, so too much O2 in the system.

After some investigation, I believed that it was a grimed up, but after playing around in the engine, it seemed that there was a massive split in a hose.

After taping up the hose, the engine seems to run fine, but there is so much pressure, it wont last.

No I just need to figure what the hose is.

From the below picture, can anyone tell me what this hose is, or what 2 components it connects so that I can buy the correct one?

post-44029-0-30170700-1378388361_thumb.j

post-44029-0-34779500-1378388366_thumb.j

post-44029-0-30533700-1378388369_thumb.j

post-44029-0-98896100-1378388372_thumb.j

My car is going to a garage for a tyre change, so i can ask while I'm there, but I'd like to get it fixed before then!

Thanks in advance!

Simon

That's the main hose from the air filter housing to the inlet manifold.

The wiring bit in the middle is the mass airflow sensor (maf).

its a breather hose...connects to bottom of air filter housing...dont like the sound of the fact it has 'high pressure' though, as it shouldnt as far as im aware...might need to follow that pipe and check the breather system isnt blocked

Hey,

When I say high pressure, basically when I rev the engine, the hose implored on itself where the split is being held together with tape. I can feel that at the point of the split, the rubber is a lot softer than the other end.

Thanks for the info, I'll see if I can find the part!

The pipe will collapse if damaged because the structural integrity has been lost.

Hello all,

Again thanks for all the help.

I managed to find the part number on the hose after a bit of twisting.

Grabbed a new one from Ford and a couple of Jubilee clips, and the car now runs smoother than the day I bought it!