Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is There Such A Thing As A Competent Ford Dealer?

ford_focus

I've lost faith in local dealers (not that I had much anyway!) when it comes to car servicing. I mean if I can get the official Ford service schedule from Etis, why can't they?

There are certain optional things like the DPF additive that really should be done, yet nobody has asked me if I want these doing. One dealer has said the DPF additive fluid doesn't need doing on my car, yet the official Ford service schedule specifically mentions it.

If they can't get things like this right, what else are they missing?

So I don't really know where to take my car to get a full and comprehensive 75k service. I mean the cost of this is £330, so is it too much to expect them to know exactly what they're doing?

I too have fallen out with my local dealer never to return mate,

My last actions were to tip him 2euro and my exact words were '' take that to the pound shop on your way home, and buy yourself a cowboy hat son''

• Like 1

Do you not get given the print out from etis when you have your car serviced?

I always get the print out with everything ticked off - also shows tyres levels, etc.

I haven't been to a Ford dealer with my car. But for this year, and since I'll be keeping it for a few more years I thought I'd look into getting a 75k service done by an official dealer.

But my experience so far has not inspired me with confidence.

I want them to say - would you like us to top up the DPF additive fluid, but none has done that, and one said it didn't actually need doing on my car.

Just please give me some indication that you're going to do a comprehensive job for my £330. Otherwise I'll go back to my budget service just to change the filters and oil.

So, am I a fool to go to the dealers, or am I actually getting value for money?

lmfao loving the reply Lenny! although your statement did just seem to add 20 years to the mental image I have of you, as soon as you mentioned "son" :P

As for the service, there is no reason you couldnt take the car to an indie or do it yourself, some jobs like EOLYS though require them to do it in most instances as there is little choice of a workaround.

As for the car, what do you actually have?

Finally as to the trusted dealer comment, I can say mine seem to be one of the few who are trustworthy and competent. I stand by the fact that I wouldnt take a job to them that I could do myself or via an indie much cheaper (for example, looking to replace disks and pads all round soon, I wouldnt take that to them). I know they would have to charge Ford Prices, and that would be the problem, otherwise though, I have no qualms whatsoever taking my car to them for a sudden issue that kills the car off!

they do exist mines brilliant the cars serviced washed waxed and valeted with the check list to show whats been done even down to greasing the door hinges and ive checked they do exactly what it says they should only once was i unhappy when the car wasnt cleaned and i was given a free mot and a 10percent discount

I think the thing is that a genuine dealer is hard to come by! most wear the cowboy hats with pride, most hide the cowboy hats because they dont want to be seen that way. My dealer is the latter, but I see and hear of far too many of the former...

As for the car, what do you actually have?

Focus 1.6 TDCI Sport

they do exist mines brilliant the cars serviced washed waxed and valeted with the check list to show whats been done even down to greasing the door hinges and ive checked they do exactly what it says they should only once was i unhappy when the car wasnt cleaned and i was given a free mot and a 10percent discount

Pity you're so far away. I would travel a bit to find a good reputable dealer who I could trust.

mine has a dorsal fin ...wanted £30 for wiper blade but sells them under the garage name on eBay for £23 inc post .. when i queried it he said "get them of eBay then"

It's not just Ford dealers that are crap. It's the same with other brands.

Even though it costs you £300, with their overheads etc dealers don't have time to service cars properly and make a profit, so a lot of minor things get overlooked, or they'll fob you off until the warranty runs out, then it's not their problem anymore and they can sell you a new car.

But as I said, it's not just Ford that are like that.

At least !Removed! Turpin wore a mask when he took your money :lol:

Talk to friends for recommendations, generally the local independent dealer is the best, they have a reputation to maintain.

Having looked at the service schedule, I've decided that £330 + £100 for DPF fluid topup is extortionate.

I'll go to the dealer for the DPF fluid, but all the other stuff amounts to oil + filter replacement, fuel filter replacement and induction air filter replacement. All the rest is fluff which I can check myself.

Seems rather expensive, my dealer is around £140 every other year and £240 the others for my car, iirc.

They are a local independent though. The incompetencies seem to come from the really big groups, regardless of marque. Westover is a good example....

have a look at kwik fit, whilst I disagree with them for most things, the services they do are actually good value. kwik oil, is basic oil, filter replacement with brake fluid, otherwise the interim service is about £70 and includes most the standard Ford stuff (not OEM parts though) but for the cost of that service, and replacing other parts yourself, you have done the same work for much less money!

• Like 1

have a look at kwik fit, whilst I disagree with them for most things, the services they do are actually good value. kwik oil, is basic oil, filter replacement with brake fluid, otherwise the interim service is about £70 and includes most the standard Ford stuff (not OEM parts though) but for the cost of that service, and replacing other parts yourself, you have done the same work for much less money!

Actually their full service looks like it covers all the important stuff on the Ford 75k service (and more), and is half the price!

Thanks for that information

On second thoughts, I think I'll avoid Kwik Fit. Too many negative reports with them trying to add on things that don't need doing, and basic incompetance. I'll find a local independant to do it.

mine has a dorsal fin ...wanted £30 for wiper blade but sells them under the garage name on ebay for £23 inc post .. when i queried it he said "get them of ebay then"

Has to be Vospers. :d

Definitely a load of shifty beggars.

I wouldn't trust them to screw in a nail :p

If I need any dealers input I go to the dealers at Kingsbridge, for all other work or MOT's I go to Curtis Ball in Rendle Street.

I trust them far more than anywhere else.

To be honest, mine triedg different. to add a load on as well when I had the kwik oil, but they confirmed my turbo was dying as I already suspected, and anything else they tried (brake disks, pads etc) I just told them I was having nothing more than the oil I had ordered. End of!

So if you want an indie to do it, feel free, but just because mr Kwik Fit sucks in a deep breathe, doesnt mean you need to feel pressured into doing it - take his recommendation, have a look yourself, and if you are concerned, get a second opinion, otherwise take it all with a pinch of salt...

For example, Ford told me ages ago that my Turbo boost pipe was cracked, that was an amber on the MOT report, yet the last time the car went in, they never mentioned a thing so I suspect its not that big a problem at all... They all do it, they all see somethin

I'm going to use the services of my local Suzuki dealer. Out of everyone I trust them the most. They're straight about work that needs to be done, won't do unecessary stuff, and their labour charges aren't extortionate. Plus they offer a servicing package that includes MOT. They'll use genuine Ford parts if you ask, but obviously at increased cost.

So after going around the houses on this, I'll return to them.

But on the DPF additive fluid thing, I'll go to Ford for that one.

Thanks for all advice given.

Anyone seen Auto Express's Driver Power survey? Ford dealers don't shape up very well, consistantly in the bottom few:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/lexus/65406/lexus-named-uks-best-car-dealer

I find TC Harrison incompetent, rude, expensive and they don't really care either way. On the flip side, there is a very small Ford franchise near me called John R Ford and my last service there was an amazing experience, and about £50 cheaper than TCH!