Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tuning Box "this Old Chestnut" ;0)

georgen

5 members have voted

1. 1. Which if any tuning option would you do

• Tuning box £65
    • Remap £250
    • None

Well cant justify getting it remapped so looking at a tuning box for my 90 bhp 1.6 tdci focus, anyone got one any feedback. looking at one for £65 delivered so thats the temptation.

Ive.got a box on my 2.0 tdci 136 now at 183 acording to rolling road

• Like 1

Tuning boxes come in all "shapes and sizes" - and prices - from a £7 eBay "resistor special" to a "high end" £400+ multi - map, multi - channel digital microprossesor controlled tuning box built/ setup for specific cars/ engines

So it is important to say >which< make model of tuning box

in the same way there is a big difference between a remap from a guy (who knows nothing) with a laptop and a mobile phone (and a generic map he got online) and an established tuner with premises/ a rolling road etc

Tuning can be expensive but it can be "false economy" to "cut corners" - sometimes its best to raid the piggy bank and get a quality product

• Like 1

Hi Foca

its a CR-Box made in Germany not a wire with a resister type, I've had cars Mapped before and the guy I use is very good at it, but when it comes to the diesel i just cant justify the cost, its a lot more in-depth tuning a petrol map to a diesel and at end of day remap or tuning box does the same thing, one alters the ecu program to overfuel the other frigs the ecu to give extra fuel, I know there's more to it but basically that's it.

If i was going for real power and done exhaust, manifold, downpipe, induction kit, inter-cooler, head-work, then yes a remap would pull it all together and get the best from it, but to get a little more poke across the range i think the box will suffice this time.

• Like 1

Also got a cheap tuning box, this one ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Fiesta-1-4-TDCi-68-PS-Siemens-Tuningbox-Powerbox-Eco-Box-Chiptuning-/221146768548?pt=DE_Autoteile&hash=item337d5fe4a4 )

He also has them for a Focus.

Very happy with it, tested it yesterday to see if it really makes a difference and it saving me at least 1ltr/100km (See my project thread). Plus i have noticable more torque (don't care about horsepower, rarely go above 3000 rpm)

Driving around with it for 3350 kilometres now and because it isn't maxxed out for horsepower i hope it will last a long time!

(Also can't justify the price of a real remap, not to myself but certainly not to my wife ;) )

You will have to drive for 60 to 100 kilometres so the ECU can re-learn. First few kilometres felt a bit strange, not running as smooth but after that it adapted the map in the ECU ( it will get different readings from all the sensors in and around the engine because the engine will rev stronger, quicker, different pressures and temps to what it was used to and so. Luckily the ECU is self learning and will adapt the overlay map in the ECU to cope with the changed signals. Had the same after removing the DPF and again after removing the cat. It also had to adapt after i raised the boost a bit but now it's all attuned) and it is a dream to drive now.

• Like 1

I have to say I keep looking at a tuning box also, the one I have my eye on is an £85 one, its a popular name, but I have lost it from my eBay so need to dig it out again, its not a wire in a box (think its DTUK?) but I am not sure how well they work with a CVT transmission so I am still researching.

I bought a £40 one off eBay for my astra cdti (all the vauxhall lovers use dtuk boxes at £200+ otherwise the world will end) the cheap one still had 7 settings just had to figure out which gave most power with least smoke it went like stink though

• Like 1

sounds like it was a worthwhile buy! do you have any links so we can see what it is you had?

• Like 1

think it was this one its at £75 now though, they do them for focus etc in theyre shop

All they do is trick the car into increasing the fuel pressure some do it in cheaper/harsher ways

• Like 1

Only problem I have found with these boxes os yestersay I hooked up my torque pro app after not using it for a couple of weeks and checked for fault codes and up popped p0002 which is to do with fuel pressure I think but I had box turned up full and actually reset the ecu when I did this a few weeks ago, but a week ago I turnes it down and I think because I turned it down and the ecu had learned how I drived and how much fuel was going in and because I turned it down I think ot messed it up id didnt go into limp mode or anything but I cleared thecode and its been fine last couple of days so be careful how u use it o usually reset ecu each time I change the settings as the ecu learns better, (apparently lol )

• Like 1

Last box i fitted was to a laguna, took 2 weeks to destroy the clutch LOL, saying that the last car I had mapped took 12 miles before clutch started slipping :blink:

I only put my foot down once is engaged to save clutch im not gonna win many drag racers in a diesel but threw gears is where its at lpl

the lagunas clutch was engaged and the remaped car was my leon and clutch slipped when Turbo came on song, prob cos standard pressure was 11psi mine spiked at 23psi then held 21 psi LOL.

@ Mark: Till now i don't have any errorcodes (not with Torque, nor with the Scangauge II) Must say i have an "eco" tuningbox, at least that's what the ad said ;) .

So it won't be dailed for max power. Had no errorcodes after installing but must say the ECU was reset because the battery was disconnected whilst installing.

After turning the box up a bit still no errorcodes. Even after removing the box and driving original and reconnecting no errorcodes.

One of the reasons i didn't want a box with dipswitches is because now i have infinte possibilities because of the potentiometer so the gaps between the different settings is better controlable.

@ George: 11 psi, isn't that low? My Fusion had 16,5 psi standard, after fiddling with the wastegate adjuster i now have 18,85 PSI. Clutch is handling it without any problems.

Guess it would also handle 23 psi, is only 0,3 bar more.

Must say i don't dragrace and i shortshift a lot, rev range i use is between 1000 and 3000 rpm.

@ Mark: Till now i don't have any errorcodes (not with Torque, nor with the Scangauge II) Must say i have an "eco" tuningbox, at least that's what the ad said ;) .

So it won't be dailed for max power. Had no errorcodes after installing but must say the ECU was reset because the battery was disconnected whilst installing.

After turning the box up a bit still no errorcodes. Even after removing the box and driving original and reconnecting no errorcodes.

One of the reasons i didn't want a box with dipswitches is because now i have infinte possibilities because of the potentiometer so the gaps between the different settings is better controlable.

@ George: 11 psi, isn't that low? My Fusion had 16,5 psi standard, after fiddling with the wastegate adjuster i now have 18,85 PSI. Clutch is handling it without any problems.

Guess it would also handle 23 psi, is only 0,3 bar more.

Must say i don't dragrace and i shortshift a lot, rev range i use is between 1000 and 3000 rpm.

not on a 20vT engine, in fact 23 psi is pushing it a bit.

Just look at the 11th entry, the pics speak for them self ;)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/58545-ford-1-4-tdci-tuning-options.html

Of course this is for a Fiesta/Fusion, don't know if it's the same for a Focus.

Its got to be a turbo with a fixed vane/ wastegate, and, ultimately, you are better off with an electronic boost controller, the turbo would spool faster and you would have more accurate control of boost

there are other (cheap) options like an extended tube or a boost bottle - (neither are as effective as an electronic boost controller though)

A boost gauge is essential before experimenting/ adjusting the boost and caution is advised

Upping the boost on a stock engine would not really increase power much without a remap or tuning box as well (once that is done upping the boost may make a significant difference)

Finding the right amount of boost is the key (not too little/ not too much)

Most modern Focuses have VNTs (variable vane turbos) so cannot be adjusted like this anyway

Oh well im happy enough with it at the mo not to much point doing much to it got high miles now