Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Front Brakes Binding (Help)

Robbie73

HI all

I took my car into Rates (Grays) yesterday 6/9/13 for its annual service and was told the front discs need replacing and the pads were 80 - 90% worn.

The issue is now the car feels as if its towing a anchor, which was not the problem before it went in, I took it back and the technican said its becase the pads are so worn that there now sticky, I personally think they have done something? as they were fine before they touched the car.

Does anyone know if I am being feed aload of waffle? or can this happen?

PS. I know they have touched the braking system as the hand brake is now back to full lock on 3 notches.

are they assuming its front brake binding, or was it checked.

if not, then it could be rear brake over adjusted...take for a short drive, then touch each wheel to see which wheel is hotter than rest

Hi Tony

I thought it might be that! at first, so had them check it out, they put it on the jack and the back ones spin loosely whilst the front ones run a lot tighter and slow really quickly.

well a badly worn set of pads can do this.

could always get a 2nd opinion

Thanks Tony, I am asking because it seems really strange that in a space of 10hrs a problem arises, I'm gonna change the pads anyway as it really makes sense as they are vital piece of the car.

Isn't it good practice to replace discs n pads at same time due to UN even wearing etc....

To be honest I don't know! This is the first set of pads on the car, at 43000, they mentioned the possibly the discs.

I am taking it to another garage to get a second opinion, and see what they say, to be honest if they need replacing then so be it, it would be a no brainer not to change all in one go.

I would say you can buy a set of pads and discs offline for about £80 for a full set of front and rear (or at least, I can for my CMAX) so I would say its not really going to cost you the earth to do it...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club