Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Bonnet Upgrade / Hopefully Bye Bye Bonnet Release?

jeebowhite

OK, so just to disappoint, unfortunately I have NOT yet found a way to remove the catch but I am getting desperate!

So, what I want to do, is remove this useless old turn key, break latch, bye bye bonnet access cack with something a bit more suitable. I have two thoughts, and your help in identifying which may be least expensive and plausible would be appreciated. I would love over the course of the next few months to come back with a how to guide on removing this useless object of frustration and replace it!

So my thoughts are as follows:

1) Remove the stupid key left turn - right turn system. Ideally I want to go back to the old school days, where I fit a Lever, or switch or similar that will allow me to pull a wire and pop the boot (none of this hocus pocus)

2) Remove the bonnet locking mechanism and substitute it with a handle and lock release - So, I saw this on a clio of someone who works at kwik fit (bare with me, I know things dont tend to start well with those words) but he had a bonnet that on the left and right sides, he had a key operated lock, with a pull out handle, I assume he would undo the lock with his key, and then use the two handles to pop the bonnet open. This looks like an alright idea... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CARBON-FIBER-PAINTED-JDM-RACING-FLUSH-MOUNT-HOOD-PIN-KEY-BONNET-LOCK-UNIVERSAL-/141092513967?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AFocus&hash=item20d9c4e8af

3) Develop a brand new system. Perhaps take an electrically operated bonnet catch that might fit in my car, then wire it up to a switch - press button, bonnet pops up!

All are a bit scifi at the moment, I really would love to come up with an answer, so if anyone has any recommendations, suggestions, or idea's, please do let me know as if I can (within cost effective reason) rid the planet of this monstrosity of a system, I will do so!

• 4 weeks later...

OK So, I called my insurer today. Because I already have external mods on the car, they would need to record it on their system as an internal modification. Total cost to add bonnet lock pins onto my policy £17.50!

Yes, £17.50 and then the cost of the bonnet lock parts... Somehow I am becoming more strongly drawn to the idea of getting this 'modification' as my next effort! It will save problems in the long run and it could be a cost effective and more reliable replacement to the current useless system.

I am still doing my research into the best means of how to do it. I need to also check the car over and start getting measurements, looking for already fixed points that I could attach it to and what not, but I am favoring this as the next modification to relieve the stupid locking barrel!

Has anyone on here had experience with locking pins?

got yourself a nice little project James.

could you not use the old cable method that has worked fine all these years - get it from another car and fit it to yours - no more key?

it's something else I have considered however I have yet to find a catch and pull mechanism that will either straight swap or work with butchering perhaps it's not knowing the search term of what to look for... otherwise there would have to be a level of butchery to mount a bonnet release handle and lay the wiring. all options are still valid and considered as I'm trying to find the best way rather than the worst preexisting way lol

sent using the Ford OC app for android.

go to a scrappy to have a look at some bonnet locks on other makes or older fords.

James I would love if u did this an go to few places ask them to change a bulb they wouldn no what hell was goin on sorry sir if can't open ur bonnet priceless haha

James,

maybe you could contact Burton motorsport or demon tweeks to see if they sell an aftermarket kit that rally cars use?

Well, I found a universal bonnet release cable for a few quid: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pearl-PUBC01-Universal-Bonnet-Release/dp/B007JIHGDK

Looks like it might do the trick! Now, I just need to find a latch that can be used with the cars generally. I am looking outside of Ford as well as things like the Fusion, but at the moment, I probably need to sit down and have a good look at the layout of things :)

I know it may sound a little bit silly... But could you not get rid of the barrel and put like a boot locking mechanism on it.. Wire the boot lock up to another button so it pops up like the boot... Then you could go the whole hog and add the gas struts to the bonnet to get rid of the silly stand lol. Just a thought

not a bad idea fella unfortunate for me though I could guarantee it would fail then an angle grinder date with the bonnet would be likely lol but I like the idea!

I reckon electric actuators are a better way to go.

Nice smooth motion and works both ways.

all good as long as the electrics working lol :-)

Hmm yeah... But electrics can go in anything and your buggered lol

That is true indeed! if only you could wire in a spare power source!

That is true indeed! if only you could wire in a spare power source!

Hmm yes would be good.. No doubt it would be able to be done.. I'll have to ask my electrical engineering lecturer at uni.. See what he thinks on the situation lol.

What about the cars that have the emergency system that runs off a separate power source? So if the battery dies it was still able to operate? I'll try find it...

EDIT: looks like it can be done sir.. http://www.powerstream.com/DC-UPS-1212-10A.htm

Doesnt look like a bad idea! although to be honest, by the time you factor all the costs for it, it probably wouldnt be economically viable to do it...

Doesnt look like a bad idea! although to be honest, by the time you factor all the costs for it, it probably wouldnt be economically viable to do it...

Haha maybe not! However it's a good backup system, if you travel a lot.. And it would run the whole electrics, so could hook it up to a few things for relief! Lol

thats very true! as a mod on its own its a good idea theres no doubt about that!

Haha it would be good if you could install one of these on your ford! Would give you that mechanical version instead of the electrical idea I said... http://www.cjponyparts.com/HOOD-RELEASE-CABLE-hood-release-cable-1979-1982/p/HDRC1/

Edit: run one of these from the latch under the good, around and through below the dash to the right hand side of the steering wheel, where you plug in the ELM327 cable.. Would be cool lol. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pearl-PUBC01-Universal-Bonnet-Release/dp/B007JIHGDK

Thats the way my plan is favouring at the moment ;)

James racing bonnet pins aren't road legal if the aren't flush with the bonnet. Hazard for pedestrian.

I like the idea though go forth and set the way for us :- )

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

Yeah, racing pins are slipping down my ranks of favour. I have put a bid on a cheap Fusion Bonnet release catch. I think the favour at the moment is that I will remove this system, and get someone to spot weld in the fusion system and jerry rig my own pull to pop system!

There is a guy who done a guide for fitting racing pins to a mustang the guide is great I will try and look it up. He showed how to mark it out etc but bonnet racing pins that are flush with the bonnet are rather costly

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

I found a set that where £45, they didnt stick out, but they did come up from the bonnet about 1 or 2 mm, however, they werent just sticking up pins they were about the size of half the palm of your hand, as the handles?

• Like 1