Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wing Mirrors on 2007 Focus 1.6 ZETEC climate

ontheroad

I've had a bit of a search and found a couple of similar topics, but want an answer specific to my model so thought it best to start a new thread.

I've just purchased a 2007 focus zetec climate, and I have to say I'm very happy with it. It has electric wing mirrors that can be adjusted from a dial on the drivers side door. They are also beautiful big things that come in the same colour as the body of the car. They look great. Now, I notice some models of Focus have the power folding option which presumably means that the mirrors can fold in electronically from the inside of the Car - I'm pretty sure my car doesn't have this option, but what I want to know is, will the mirrors fold-in manually ? I've had a go and they both seem to be putting up quite a bit of resistance and obviously I don't want to snap the things off the Car so don't want to apply excessive force to something that is not meant to be moved anyway.

So I guess the question is - are these types of mirror designed to be manually folded ? and if the answer is yes does anyone have any suggestion as to how to budge them as they seem to be stuck at the moment - is it just a case of grabbing the Bull by the horns as it were and using plenty of force, or would WD40 be suitable ? I'm guessing there's electrical stuff within the mirror and I don't want to damage anything if I can help it.

If anyone can advise I would be most grateful. Loving the car and nice to be a member of the Focus club B)

You're right to not put WD40 near anything electrical - always makes me want to scream at people who spray the !Removed! stuff all over everything! It attracts dust and filth and can completely screw electrical systems by causing soldered joints to swell and break. You can use it as a lubricant *only* if you're not going anywhere near electrics with it.

Anyhoo, Focus mirrors can be manually folded but some of them do put up a fight. Don't push hard on the back of the mirror as its only a plastic casing. Hold it by the end at the top and bottom and push it towards the door, firmly but gently. Lifting it up slightly helps on my nearside mirror which is a sod to move.

Oh - you can get electric folding mirrors as an aftermarket part, but they're not a dealer option on any model AFAIK.

• 5 weeks later...

yes they are quite stiff, mine are aswell. but just dont go crazy and if you old the morrors as mentioned above you shouldnt have any problems. i wouldnt use any wd40 as such.