Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Y Cable

JAR897

YCAbler.jpg

Section A - plugs into the ipod/iphone/iphone 3G

Section B - transmits audio only! If you havn't ordered the USB in the car then it will just be a wire with that on both ends which you require. One end goes into the ipod/iphone headphone socket, the other into the car. (Does not support data on the screen or changing tracks from the stero etc).

Section C - USB which plugs into the usb port for those who have it. This allows data to be pulled from the iphone/ipod regarding the tracks and artists etc, so will show up on the car screen. It also allows information to be sent to the ipod/iphone asking to change tracks etc.

OUTCOME: Only those with the USB functionality will have the music information (title, track, artist) on the screen of the car. Only those with USB will be able to change track from steering wheel / dashboard.

Those without will have to do it from the iPhone / ipod itself.

If you don't have the USB option get this:

2.5 male to male sterio jack cable

If you do have USB option, get this:

FORD Y-CABLE!

A normal USB cable doesn't work as the usb port encrypts the data bafore it is sent, so only special cables can transmit the data successfully.

Any questions?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nipz

• FMC

• TonyEssex

• meddyliol

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, just a bit of clarity on the cable if you are NOT using a Y Cable. It should be a 3.5mm to 3.5mm Stereo Lead - connects to the iPod earphone socket >< Fiesta 3.5mm stereo socket. (Front of handbrake area)

Maplin item code L29BA for a 1.5m long version £5.99, although can be far cheaper if you look around.

Sorry JAR897, but the one indicated is misleading.

Cheers

Pinned for you all

It is a 3.5mm connector not 2.5mm as stated, if its a sticky lets get it right, that way it won,t cause anymore problems.

3.5mm male stereo jack plug <to> 3.5mm male stereo jack plug

lol you have to be so careful these days :ph34r:

are these only available from ford? i take it you dont get one with the car

are these only available from ford? i take it you dont get one with the car

Only from ford, nothing else works. And im afraid their £20!

thought so, ripoff price too

Yea, only available from ford as the data which needs to be received into the USB port has to be in a specifically encrypted format which the cable does for you.

Ford Parts UK <-- I brought mine from here

They are a bit of a rip off, but still worth the money! lol

Well, when i got my Fiesta I was using a normal iPod cable to hook my iPhone up to the computer (with a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable as well) and it worked fine for ages, after a while I started getting a problem where i connected it and the dash computer said 'error reading device' occasionally, so I went and bought one of the ford Y cables and its been fine for a week or so, now I just got the same error reading device!? I can't see why it can't read it even with the proper Y cable... not sure if it's something to take to the dealership?

USB cable arrived in the post today - excellent service from Allenparts.com

Just need the car to go with it now

I was curious to know what these cables looked like. I mentioned it whilst looking to buy my car and the salesman threw one in for free, that'll save a job :)

I was curious to know what these cables looked like. I mentioned it whilst looking to buy my car and the salesman threw one in for free, that'll save a job :)

Good work!

I dont no why they dont come free when you order the USB!

• 3 weeks later...

This is good to know - just ordered one, having already bought an extra USB - dock connector lead from the Apple store!

Does anyone use the iPhone 3G with their Fiesta? What's the word on interference on the stereo when a call comes in? Is there any?

This is good to know - just ordered one, having already bought an extra USB - dock connector lead from the Apple store!

Does anyone use the iPhone 3G with their Fiesta? What's the word on interference on the stereo when a call comes in? Is there any?

i use an iPhone 3G with mine and works perfect! When a call comes it it says incoming call: then the name. Then gives your a choice to accept or reject.

Thanks Nipz - you mean the call info is displayed on the car's screen? That's a bonus if so.

Thanks Nipz - you mean the call info is displayed on the car's screen? That's a bonus if so.

Yea it sure is!

I find that my phone rings once before the car picks it up which is good if your listening to music loud so you have a chance to turn it down so when the call ends the music doesnt scary you off the road!!

Sorry fellas new to the forum and just been reading that if you only have the jack plug you can't control your Aux music device from the steering wheel !!!!! - Oh no ......... - We ordered a Titanium with no extras so won't have a USB - I don't want bluetooth or voice activation, can I just order the USB on its own ??

Sorry fellas new to the forum and just been reading that if you only have the jack plug you can't control your Aux music device from the steering wheel !!!!! - Oh no ......... - We ordered a Titanium with no extras so won't have a USB - I don't want bluetooth or voice activation, can I just order the USB on its own ??

Its all or nothing im afraid.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just spoken to my Ford dealer about the cable and he is unwilling to throw the cable in for free. He also claims I am the first person to ask about it. The dealership also houses Daihatsu & Kia and he tells me that Kia have a very similar cable which he says would be cheaper. I notice earlier in this thread though that it is generally believed that only the Ford cable will work - any thoughts?

I have just spoken to my Ford dealer about the cable and he is unwilling to throw the cable in for free. He also claims I am the first person to ask about it. The dealership also houses Daihatsu & Kia and he tells me that Kia have a very similar cable which he says would be cheaper. I notice earlier in this thread though that it is generally believed that only the Ford cable will work - any thoughts?

People have tried other cables and they dont work. Cant believe hes not willing to through it in for free!!

mine wont either, they just look at me with a blank stare lol

i see them on eBay for about £20 now so ill get one there

Has anyone with the USB port tried putting in one of those memory sticks with music on it and does that work as I was thinking of buying one of those for use in the car so I can leave it in the car (in the glovebox) rather than my iPod, or buying another iPod in green to match the car?

Has anyone with the USB port tried putting in one of those memory sticks with music on it and does that work as I was thinking of buying one of those for use in the car so I can leave it in the car (in the glovebox) rather than my iPod, or buying another iPod in green to match the car?

Yea Keith using the USB drive for all his music.

Best to ask him about the folder structure though :)