Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Ecu Updates

ZetecShearer1987

hi, I was wondering if there is an easy way to check to see if my focus has the latest and greatest ecu update, without taking it to a ford garage to check for me. I am happy to pay ford 60 quid plus to update the ecu, but I didn't really wanna pay if the car already has the latest update.

Any ideas on how to approach this matter.

Sent from my HTC One using Ford OC mobile app

I could see on ETIS when there was a PCM (ECU) update available for my car. No way of knowing whether or not it has been applied on there though.

I would have thought any reasonable dealer could check for the update but only charge if there is actually one available. Especially if you get it done at the time of a service.

Thanks Alex, the only issue cost wise is that I've had made car serviced 3 months ago. So I reckon my local fraud garage would be reluctant to check with no charge. Will give them a call to enquire.

Depends on the garage I suppose, we get on really well with our local dealer.

Otherwise I believe Trust Ford were advertising free software updates recently.

Local garage wanted over 100 quid for diagnosis. Plus extra for updating ecu. Get stuffed with that

Yeah Trust ford I have one in Tamworth which is a 20 minute drive. Quoted around 100 quid but questioned why I really wanted it done and said was it really worth it. Do any local tuning garages offer something similar to this. I don't want it modifying, I want a genuine ford update. I'm a bit lost now what to do, as other people seem to be getting this done much cheaper and much easier than I am.

Only the Ford dealers have the equipment, software and link back to Ford to access the ECU (or any) updates. :(

I believe they actually have to download the updates from Ford servers.

Ok. Does seem to be quite pricey round the Midlands getting this done. And maybe the car already has the latest update. Then I've wasted 100 quid.

Have you checked ETIS to see if there are any update messages?

Not sure how to use ford etis . Can you explain how to do it please

Go here and enter your VIN or reg:

http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do

Then on the left hand side wait for the Vehicle Software section to load and see if you get the message:

"Vehicle software information is available for your selected vehicle. Click here to view further information."

Then click "here", find PCM in the list and see if there is an option for "Software updates".

As an example, this is what mine says:

Focus / C-Max 2.0L TDCi Stage V.

This application programs the PCM module with the most current calibration.

Version 1.3 - 10/08/12

20131113 10:03:17-G1496414-10

The following Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) is relevant to this Software Update:
As
part of the Ford Motor Company Continual Program Improvement Process, a
later version of software is available for this module.

Although I had this done FOC as the car is still under warranty.

Hi again i did all that then got this message

Vehicle software information is not available for your selected vehicle. This information is currently available for Stage V and selected Stage IV emission vehicles.

a bit confused now

im i doing something wrong, my car is a stage 4 emission vehicle and ive got no data available

Means your car is too old to be on the ETIS software database :(

Never mind, it was worth a try as your model year is right around when it started.

Can anyone on here do pcm updates to the ecu. Or is there another way apart from paying a ford garage over 100 to check and see.

It's pretty rubbish that you have to guess If it needs a update and that it might be already installed but you still pay over 100 quid for the privilege.

See after reading other people's post about the pcm being updated it does sound like those symptoms are affecting my car but I don't want to throw hard earned money at a chance it might need doing

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club