Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help - Brakes

imaz

Hi

Car is at the dealer getting brake pads replaced and the dealer wants me to replace all 4 rotor's as well, = $1300...

They say its thin and not meeting the minimum requirement of 9mm. The car has done 40k only, is this a bug? or a recall???

They say if I dont change it and the car is involved in an accident then the dealer is not liable for it... blah blah blah.... The rotors appear fine to me and I've never heard anyone changing rotors in a 2year old car!!!!

BTW its an LS Focus 2006.

hey, 40k isnt too bad for brake discs, i had a mini cooper that was 3yo and only done 24k when it needed all the discs replaced as they failed a brake test and actually falling apart!

40k kilometres or miles? If it's the latter that's not too bad but then again calipers that are binding can wear out discs in no time at all. I used to own a Citroen Saxo and they were well known for wearing out discs!

I'd check what the wear limit is because brake pads and discs are common items that garages tell you need changing when they really don't. It's an easy job for them and they know especially as it's a safety critical part that you'll probably give the work to them.

Having said that if it's in for pads anyway the garage might be thinking you might as well do the discs now because if you have to change the discs later you have to put new pads in then anyway.....