Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Advice on tow bars

simon_20

Does anyone know how to fit a tow bar on to a ford focus hatch back. Does the rear bumper have to come off to be fitted.

Thanks.

Does anyone know how to fit a tow bar on to a ford focus hatch back. Does the rear bumper have to come off to be fitted.

Thanks.

yes the bumper needs to come off, behind it is the bumper bar which also needs to come off. there are 2 slots either side of the car(behind the bumper) that the towbar frame slots into. its then bolted into position from under the car. one of the heatshields needs to be removed or bent out the way to get access at the passenger side.

Its very simple really, takes about 2 hours.

what year is your car?

yes the bumper needs to come off, behind it is the bumper bar which also needs to come off. there are 2 slots either side of the car(behind the bumper) that the towbar frame slots into. its then bolted into position from under the car. one of the heatshields needs to be removed or bent out the way to get access at the passenger side.

Its very simple really, takes about 2 hours.

what year is your car?

Its a y reg 2001 .

Its a y reg 2001 .

ok exactly as above then. (for others info, i think the same applies on the newer focus too)

ok excuse my bad paint skills but if you have a look at my little drawing you will see the 2 'rails' (in yellow) that run down the car, these are where the towbar bracket goes in. the driver side one(offside) is more visible when you have a look under the car. once you have a look my drawing will make more sense.

post-3200-1262382259_thumb.jpg

FWIW, it is not legally permitted to fit a tow bar to a Focus ST (225 Mkii version)

:)

Thanks for advise and drawing going to fit it tomorow thanks u again.

before i get annoying, my only other advice it to have someone help you remove the bumper and or put masking tape on the rear quarters where its coming away from. when i removed mine i unhooked it from the body but ended up scratching the paint. i got the rear quarters resprayed anyway but its best if you can avoid it in the first place.

i think my first drawing is a little inaccurate, i think the nearside rail is actually right about the rear silencer as you need to remove the rear rubber mount to get at it.

does your towbar kit have bits of metal about 15" long with 2 bolts welded to each?

i think the drawings ive made and attached to this post are more like it, i cant remember 100% what it looks like. the second drawing is what it looks like with the rear bumper off, the 2 red boxes are the holes where the towbar frame goes in. this should help people out in the future if they aren't sure how it all goes :) please excuse my lame drawing skills

NOTE: the first drawing is a view from the underside of a right hand drive vehicle.

post-3200-1262384945_thumb.jpg

post-3200-1262386125_thumb.jpg

before i get annoying, my only other advice it to have someone help you remove the bumper and or put masking tape on the rear quarters where its coming away from. when i removed mine i unhooked it from the body but ended up scratching the paint. i got the rear quarters resprayed anyway but its best if you can avoid it in the first place.

i think my first drawing is a little inaccurate, i think the nearside rail is actually right about the rear silencer as you need to remove the rear rubber mount to get at it.

does your towbar kit have bits of metal about 15" long with 2 bolts welded to each?

i think the drawings ive made and attached to this post are more like it, i cant remember 100% what it looks like. the second drawing is what it looks like with the rear bumper off, the 2 red boxes are the holes where the towbar frame goes in. this should help people out in the future if they aren't sure how it all goes :) please excuse my lame drawing skills

Sorry to side track from the topic but I noticed on your drawing you have n/s o/s the wrong way around [assuming right hand drive veh] which is a common mistake :( also can cause confusion with left hand drive vehicles. May be better to refer to Left & Right as seated in the drivers seat.

Otherwise the drawings look pretty good ;)

Sorry to side track from the topic but I noticed on your drawing you have n/s o/s the wrong way around [assuming right hand drive veh] which is a common mistake :( also can cause confusion with left hand drive vehicles. May be better to refer to Left & Right as seated in the drivers seat.

Otherwise the drawings look pretty good ;)

hi bob,

the first drawing is meant to be a view of the underside, hence why the n/s and o/s are the wrong way round.

i will maybe add some more info to make them clearer though

cheers

stef

I cant remove rear bumper there anr 4 screws running along top as u open boot and two underneath they are just spinning and not coming out or un doing then 1 on either wheel arch any advise or tips please

Thanks

I cant remove rear bumper there anr 4 screws running along top as u open boot and two underneath they are just spinning and not coming out or un doing then 1 on either wheel arch any advise or tips please

Thanks

yup the 4 on the top, 2 underneath and 1 small bolt in either wheel arch behind the carpet. then you need to pull the corners of the bumper out away from the car to unhook it. hence why i said use masking tape or have someone pull the other side at the same time.

the ones that wont undo underneath, these are plastic right? use a small flat blade screwdriver and try and force them out. thats what i had to do.

hi bob,

the first drawing is meant to be a view of the underside, hence why the n/s and o/s are the wrong way round.

i will maybe add some more info to make them clearer though

cheers

stef

Got you now, just me jumping to the wrong end of the stick. :blink::blink:

Got you now, just me jumping to the wrong end of the stick. :blink::blink:

no worries but you did have me thinking for a minute :lol: