Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ford Focus squeal whilst cornering
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
Mike Mc
Hi All,

Newbie here, but I have just been reading through some of the topics on here and make for great reading!

I own a Ford Focus 1.8 2002 style.

I have owned the car for around 2 years and have never had to put any work in which I am quite thankful for, however recently I started getting some noises occasionally whilst driving.

I had to go a fair distance yesterday and started getting noises whilst on the motorway. I took the car to a local garage where they saw the forward driver's side brakes had been dragging, along with a rear bearing needing replaced.

After the work had finished the car was working perfectly, but after driving 75 miles whenever I take a corner there is a loud squeal coming from the front wheels.

Does anyone mechanically minded have any idea as to what could be causing the problem? and a resolution if possible? :D

Regards,
Mike
artscot79
[quote name='Mike Mc' date='04 February 2010 - 08:24 AM' timestamp='1265271274' post='63277']
Hi All,

Newbie here, but I have just been reading through some of the topics on here and make for great reading!

I have owned the car for around 2 years and have never had to put any work in which I am quite thankful for, however recently I started getting some noises occasionally whilst driving.

I had to go a fair distance yesterday and started getting noises whilst on the motorway. I took the car to a local garage where they saw the forward driver's side brakes had been dragging, along with a rear bearing needing replaced.

After the work had finished the car was working perfectly, but after driving 75 miles whenever I take a corner there is a loud squeal coming from the front wheels.

Does anyone mechanically minded have any idea as to what could be causing the problem? and a resolution if possible? [img]http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif[/img]

Regards,
Mike
[/quote]

if thebrakes were dragging its possible you now have a warped brake disk and enough heat could have done the front bearing in its also possible the front brakes are still dragging
Bagheera
[quote name='Mike Mc' date='04 February 2010 - 10:24 AM' timestamp='1265271274' post='63277']
Hi All,

Does anyone mechanically minded have any idea as to what could be causing the problem? and a resolution if possible? :D

Regards,
Mike
[/quote]

It may result from the wear of the Z-rods on the front. The ends are made of rubber, and they can wear, so they may need to be renewed.
Mike Mc
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your responses, when the car was in they did check the pads and discs and the guy said they were okay.

I will have a look in to getting the Z rods checked. Luckily the squeal has not came back today, so I am semi-wondering of perhaps water has gotten in somewhere.

Regards,
Mike
artscot79
[quote name='Mike Mc' date='04 February 2010 - 08:18 PM' timestamp='1265314123' post='63403']
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your responses, when the car was in they did check the pads and discs and the guy said they were okay.

I will have a look in to getting the Z rods checked. Luckily the squeal has not came back today, so I am semi-wondering of perhaps water has gotten in somewhere.

Regards,
Mike
[/quote]

possible or grease from when they were doing the brakes

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.