Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Preventing Rear Arch Corrosion
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
artscot79
this is the rubber i used .as anyone whos looked will know the focus has that rubbish carpet as an arch liner on the rear while its necessary to keep the upper areas of the arch protected it has one major flaw.the carpet is tightly tucked against the arch and as it gets wet unfortunately it sits there rotting the arches away till its dry again.unable to find a suitable liner i decided to modify the original heres how.sorry i dont have pics but it was pixxing down. first get some rubber tubing i used 1mm thich by 1.5mm wide doesnt matter if its a hose as you can split it.

next i removed the liner theres half a dozen clips that hold it on particularly awkward to see are the 2 tucked up on the inside of the arch at the top and they are stubborn so a little pull gets them off just keep the clips to one side for refitting.
you can now remove the liner this is a good time to get into the arch and clean all the rubbish from up there especially the old wet mud thats lying there .now is a good time to get waxoyl/underseal combined halfords etc sell it and get in there with a brush underseal the whole area paying attention to the upper part of the arch the bit you cant see make sure you give it a good coating .( not my car as you see they have tried to modify a plastic arch to fit instead all the things that should be protected are exposed) i did the whole underside why not it wont do any harm and at least its protected a bit more

now the arch liner needs an edge ive used the said rubber as it wont matter how much the carpet soaks up the rubber edge is between the water and the top of the arch simply attatch the rubber to the arch liner edge and cut it to the correct size the rubber grips the liner it can be fiddly refitting so you can use glue tape etc to hold it if it trys to come off now refit the liner making sure the rubber adge has stayed on youll now see its acting as a barrier stopping the water from contacting the arch and if the liners sodden wet you know it wont be sitting there rotting youre arches away

its a cheap way of holding the rust back and the liners definately a cause when it gets wet it can take days to dry out.

just sorry i couldnt do you guys the pics crappy drawing of the liner but you get the idea

all you need is rubber tubing i paid £3.40 for 2 metres from youre local b and q / waxoyl/underseal £7.99 use the brush on stuff messy but better as you get it where you want it.

pair of pliers to help refit the liner clips (they just push on)
a pair of old gloves and please wear youre old rags waxoyls notoriously hard to get out
stef123
nice one artscot,

when i done my arches back in the summer i ripped the liner out, gave it a god damn good clean and applied a coat of waxoyl about 1mm thick and left it a few days to dry out a little so i could get the liner back in without wiping half it off.
artscot79
[quote name='stef123' date='08 February 2010 - 07:07 PM' timestamp='1265655455' post='64182']
nice one artscot,

when i done my arches back in the summer i ripped the liner out, gave it a god damn good clean and applied a coat of waxoyl about 1mm thick and left it a few days to dry out a little so i could get the liner back in without wiping half it off.
[/quote]

ideally that would be best to leave it a bit however i was stuck it was nice weather when i started an old hair dryer helped dry it a bit quicker though i just had to be careful placing the liner back so i didnt wipe it off its tacky enough after a good few hours to finish the job off its just prevention but after seeing the stupid design it was obvious why the rears suffer and the fronts dont so much.
i was also advised to fit mudflaps which im gonna do soon

Full Colour Version: Preventing Rear Arch Corrosion
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615