Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Puma Dodgy Temp Sender?
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Puma Club
lib319
Hi,

My temp gauge is reading beyond the red mark even when cold on my 97 1.7 Puma.

I recently changed the heater control valve. The fan comes on after 15-20 mins when running stationary, the coolant isn't bubbling excessively, the engine doesn't appear to be overheating and the heater works as it should. Bled the coolant. No difference to the needle under any conditions. As soon as the key is in position 2 (before engine starts) it heads off past the red in about 2 seconds.

I was thinking this could be the temp sender, can anyone tell me how to replace the sender.

Thanks for any help.

lib
CAR PARTS EXPRESS
temp sender goosed easy job little brass sender with one round plug on it and a green collar
lib319
[quote name='FORD-PARTS-CENTRE' date='17 February 2010 - 09:27 AM' timestamp='1266398231' post='65397']
temp sender goosed easy job little brass sender with one round plug on it and a green collar
[/quote]

Thanks for that reply its very helpful mate. Can you tell me the location? I've been told it is under the coil pack (although I think they meant the sensor not the sender) or screwed into the block somewhere. There may be a difference between the pre and post 1999 Pumas.

cheers
CAR PARTS EXPRESS
on your 97 model it will be in the water housing, near the thermostat housing
lib319
Do I have to get the alternator off to get to it?
artscot79
[quote name='lib319' date='17 February 2010 - 12:47 PM' timestamp='1266410266' post='65415']
Do I have to get the alternator off to get to it?
[/quote]

you said coolant isnt bubbling excessively is it bubbling at all
lib319
[quote name='artscot79' date='19 February 2010 - 11:30 PM' timestamp='1266621647' post='65896']
you said coolant isnt bubbling excessively is it bubbling at all
[/quote]

Coolant is getting hot, sender is the problem not engine temp.

Full Colour Version: Puma Dodgy Temp Sender?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615