Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Have I Lost My Nut??
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
jeebowhite
I took the nut off the engine cover and it fell down past the alternator, now because the car park I was in was absolutely flooded this morning, so I couldnt get underneath and see if it had fell through, when it landed there was a soft landing by the sounds of it, so If I drive it home will I lose it on the way?
catch
[quote name='jeebowhite' date='22 February 2010 - 09:39 AM' timestamp='1266830988' post='66400']
I took the nut off the engine cover and it fell down past the alternator, now because the car park I was in was absolutely flooded this morning, so I couldnt get underneath and see if it had fell through, when it landed there was a soft landing by the sounds of it[/quote]

there is a plastic shield arrangement that stops crap and wet being propelled upwards into the engine compartment. It is most likely to have landed on that.

[quote]so If I drive it home will I lose it on the way?
[/quote] well it has to be a possibility that it could in theory vibrate off the back end of the aforementioned shield.
jeebowhite
ah well, even if it does, I will just go and get another 1/4" or whatever the nut size is!
jeebowhite
[quote name='jeebowhite' date='22 February 2010 - 10:10 AM' timestamp='1266832852' post='66404']
ah well, even if it does, I will just go and get another 1/4" or whatever the nut size is!
[/quote]

actually does anyone know the actual nut size I should be looking for, I just rang Ford, and they dont have the foggiest, as they cant find the nut on their systems...
CAR PARTS EXPRESS
is the nut HN1 the one you require? 1.84 plus 50p postage.....if you get stuck for any other parts use the enquiry form at www.fordpartscentre.co.uk or email sales@fordpartscentre.co.uk or message through this forum.Just send a message if you want to order one.
mjt
[quote name='catch' date='22 February 2010 - 09:56 AM' timestamp='1266832019' post='66403']
there is a plastic shield arrangement that stops crap and wet being propelled upwards into the engine compartment. It is most likely to have landed on that.[/quote]
As a matter of interest the main purpose of the undertray is to reduce the engine/transmission noise reflected off the road surface. That's why, if you examine it, you will find the inside surface is lined with foam.

I had exactly the same problem. My engine cover has two nuts at the back. One of them stuck to my fingers when I tried to put it in a safe place then dropped through onto the undertray which I then had to remove to recover it. I would say there's a very good chance the nut will stay put while you drive.
jeebowhite
[quote name='mjt' date='22 February 2010 - 01:17 PM' timestamp='1266844043' post='66432']
As a matter of interest the main purpose of the undertray is to reduce the engine/transmission noise reflected off the road surface. That's why, if you examine it, you will find the inside surface is lined with foam.

I had exactly the same problem. My engine cover has two nuts at the back. One of them stuck to my fingers when I tried to put it in a safe place then dropped through onto the undertray which I then had to remove to recover it. I would say there's a very good chance the nut will stay put while you drive.
[/quote]

Thanks Guys, I popped to B n Q and bought a nut - bolt set, so I have something on there temporarily, mjt, thanks for that its a bugger I know, I will take a look, if I can recover the nut at a later date then I will do so, FPC, if I cant recover the nut, I will log on and grab one from you. its amazing, Parts First, dont even know the nut exists, so its good to see that someone covers all bases!
catch
[quote name='mjt' date='22 February 2010 - 01:17 PM' timestamp='1266844043' post='66432']

[/quote]

Well you learn something every day, not actually had mine off, to be honest. But I did remove the front bumper, and the underside of the black part that is secured to the bumper also secures to the aforementioned under tray. Reason being when fitting front and rear electromagnetic parking aids [for the wife] hence I knew there was some arrangement there.

Here's photos before fitting parking aids
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/suggy1/FocusB-1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/suggy1/FocusF.jpg[/IMG]

And after fitting parking aids

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/suggy1/FocusB-1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/suggy1/FocusF.jpg[/IMG]

:D
CAR PARTS EXPRESS
[quote name='jeebowhite' date='22 February 2010 - 02:21 PM' timestamp='1266847907' post='66440']
Thanks Guys, I popped to B n Q and bought a nut - bolt set, so I have something on there temporarily, mjt, thanks for that its a bugger I know, I will take a look, if I can recover the nut at a later date then I will do so, FPC, if I cant recover the nut, I will log on and grab one from you. its amazing, Parts First, dont even know the nut exists, so its good to see that someone covers all bases!
[/quote]

No probs matey....years of working in a main dealer parts department AND having worked on plenty of cars normally means theres not much I cant find ;)
catch
[quote name='FORD-PARTS-CENTRE' date='22 February 2010 - 03:27 PM' timestamp='1266851828' post='66447']
No probs matey....years of working in a main dealer parts department AND having worked on plenty of cars normally means theres not much I cant find ;)
[/quote]

Yep its just a case of asking the right guy.

When somebody in a parts department cannot find the part in question. It's a case of them either not being up to the job or more than likely....they cannot be arsed
jeebowhite
[quote name='catch' date='22 February 2010 - 03:33 PM' timestamp='1266852203' post='66448']
Yep its just a case of asking the right guy.

When somebody in a parts department cannot find the part in question. It's a case of them either not being up to the job or more than likely....they cannot be arsed
[/quote]

true, like I said, bought a set in B n Q of general nuts an bults, went for a tight 1/4" bolt and it fit, who at ford, when they can sell a 13,000 car, or parts for hundreds of pounds wants to bother with a nut worth 1.50...

I think they all should!

Also, FPC, do you do discounts for people who need to regularly come back to you? lol, at this rate, I might just buy a new cars worth of parts... still considering the Fuel Sender Unit replace, but in the last month it will have required a nut, an alternator, a top up of "Diesel Particulate Filter Additive" - yet to be done, spose its not too bad compared to the poor KA owner who failed on 99.9% of his cars MOT...
CAR PARTS EXPRESS
yes most of the prices I quote include some discount and the website prices I think you will struggle to find cheaper genuine parts
DeeBe
[quote name='FORD-PARTS-CENTRE' date='22 February 2010 - 06:25 PM' timestamp='1266862551' post='66471']
yes most of the prices I quote include some discount and the website prices [b]I think you will struggle to find cheaper genuine parts[/b]
[/quote]

This I can vouch for!!!!
jeebowhite
I think I have lost this screw as well, so I will need another one and mjt, I know that FPC is probably the best bet!

Its under the trimming, between the gear stick and the ashtray on a 55 focus.

How much would it be?

J

Full Colour Version: Have I Lost My Nut??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.