Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2002 Focus 1.8 Tdci
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
rigdon86
Hi all,

I'm sure you've had this question a million times before, but here goes:

I've decided not to sell my car and just drive it till it dies, and figured to keep my interest level up I'd get a remap. So, I'm just looking for anyone who's had experience of remapping this car or one very similar and their thoughts on it? Any companies you'd recommend or heard horror stories about?

Obviously I've read the basics: power and economy usually go up, but are there any lasting detrimental effects, or any bad sides to having this done? My engine is 115bhp/184lb ft stock, and a remap apparently pushes it to about 140bhp/220lb ft give or take. I'm assuming this is still well within the tolerances of the clutch and gearbox? Also my car is a bit leggy at 110,000 miles; do you think my engine has done a few too many miles to cope with the extra power?

From the reading I've done, it appears to be a pretty low-cost/low-risk way of getting a bit more from your engine?

Thanks.
artscot79
[quote name='rigdon86' date='24 February 2010 - 11:12 AM' timestamp='1267009341' post='66833']
Hi all,

I'm sure you've had this question a million times before, but here goes:

I've decided not to sell my car and just drive it till it dies, and figured to keep my interest level up I'd get a remap. So, I'm just looking for anyone who's had experience of remapping this car or one very similar and their thoughts on it? Any companies you'd recommend or heard horror stories about?

Obviously I've read the basics: power and economy usually go up, but are there any lasting detrimental effects, or any bad sides to having this done? My engine is 115bhp/184lb ft stock, and a remap apparently pushes it to about 140bhp/220lb ft give or take. I'm assuming this is still well within the tolerances of the clutch and gearbox? Also my car is a bit leggy at 110,000 miles; do you think my engine has done a few too many miles to cope with the extra power?

From the reading I've done, it appears to be a pretty low-cost/low-risk way of getting a bit more from your engine?

Thanks.
[/quote]

a properremap company sorry i dont have a diesel so i cant recommend any but others on here im sure will a proper company will set it up theres no real effects on the car like any car its essential that its had a good service and the engines in good nick 110k on a diesel is nowt mate my old seat diesel had 286k and it was as sweet as a nut so dont be concerned over mileage looked after these cars can see 200k and more the remap is set up within the original ford tolerances so its not damaging forgaet these cheap plug and play junk off ebay there not any good a remapo from a reputable company some may argue that the ebay stuff is fine unless its abluefin forget it they are cheap a company will look at the original maps in the car and know what to adjust and what not to
rigdon86
Thanks for the reply.

I've been offered a remap from Angel Tuning, which was +30bhp and +45lb ft for 225. I was also looking at this [url=http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ASA-CR-Tuningbox-Chiptuning-Ford-Focus-1-8-TDCi_W0QQitemZ350310713665QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item5190254941#ht_4550wt_1608]TuningBox[/url] from eBay. It's cheap but a slightly smaller increases than the Angel Tuning one.

You reckon I should steer clear of these eBay ones then?
artscot79
[quote name='rigdon86' date='24 February 2010 - 12:21 PM' timestamp='1267013477' post='66844']
Thanks for the reply.

I've been offered a remap from Angel Tuning, which was +30bhp and +45lb ft for 225. I was also looking at this [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ASA-CR-Tuningbox-Chiptuning-Ford-Focus-1-8-TDCi_W0QQitemZ350310713665QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item5190254941#ht_4550wt_1608"]TuningBox[/url] from eBay. It's cheap but a slightly smaller increases than the Angel Tuning one.

You reckon I should steer clear of these eBay ones then?
[/quote]

well angel tuning will do the map specifically for the car look at the list on ebay for the tuning box and see how many cars its for every one of those cars is different so its just a generic map at least the angel tuning is done for the car personally theres no such thing as universal and every one of those cars is different

Full Colour Version: 2002 Focus 1.8 Tdci
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.