Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tdci Overfilled With Oil..
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Mondeo Club
click cluck
got car back from dealer 0 after oil change and pulley tension-er change ( engine was noisy when at idle especially when AC on....

drove 2 000 miles - then checked oil - massive over fill - too high to read!! checked invoice - 6 L of oil invoiced for
2L tdci should have 4.5 max.

took back to dealers - they said only over filled by 1mm!!??

Even now oil is 1 cm over top of max level..

Still driving - But getting tapping noise ( like petrol tappet sound )

Is engine likely to be damaged??
L S Auto Repairs
Afraid to say that the ford main dealer are correct mondeo 2 litre tdci take 6 litres of 5w30.

are you checking the correct max point on the dipstick? (not trying to be little you just asking)

have they used correct oil?

it wont cause any damage if the level is correct and thats what the dealer have said.
stef123
[quote name='L S Auto Repairs' date='06 March 2010 - 06:58 PM' timestamp='1267901303' post='69178']
Afraid to say that the ford main dealer are correct mondeo 2 litre tdci take 6 litres of 5w30.

are you checking the correct max point on the dipstick? (not trying to be little you just asking)

have they used correct oil?

it wont cause any damage if the level is correct and thats what the dealer have said.
[/quote]

agreed, what i have in front of me states 6 litres.
chris bowman
dont wish to offend but he is waiting after turning off engine for a while before looking at the dipstick is he?
L S Auto Repairs
all the ford manuals, haynes and my personal experience and knowledge know for a fact the it takes 6 litres.

should start engine

wait for oil light to go out

turn off engine

pull dipstick out and wipe clean

then dip the oil again and check
click cluck
thanks guys - I understand how you might have though me a little dumb! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I was looking for errors - and found them - I.e. 4.3 L is correct oil for PETROL 2l engine.

I do have tdci desil - so 6 L is correct.

HOWEVER! Yes I do know how to check oil level. ( well I think I do - been doing it for 30+ years in all kinds of cars... )

1st check was done with car having stood for over an hour on perfectly level ground. Took dipstick out and saw level off the scale ( above plastic end with level indicator on ) cleand stick - reinserted - with same result.

HOWEVER - and this is where it gets weird.... - I have done a number of checks since and level has fluctuated!! - sometimes well over the top of the max indicator - sometimes 2/3rds up the level - again all checks taken on level ground with engine stood for at least 1 min - up to 12 hours...

so - is engine retaining oil somewhere sometime - or is dip stick tube holding oil and confusing me!!??

Car has done 3,000 miles since possible overfill - if damage was done - wouldn't it have shown up by now - performance is good - MPG is 47+ and climbing ( driving quite gently most of the time as fear major damage ( Bearings / piston rings ?? ))
chris bowman
just a thought was the oil magnatex? cos its magnetic obviously and would stick to the dipstick and various engine parts/ areas. could be cause of ure fluctuating readings. the newer the oil is the better its obvious properties.
click cluck
[quote name='chris bowman' date='08 March 2010 - 04:45 PM' timestamp='1268066158' post='69590']
just a thought was the oil magnatex? cos its magnetic obviously and would stick to the dipstick and various engine parts/ areas. could be cause of ure fluctuating readings. the newer the oil is the better its obvious properties.
[/quote]

do not know - they ( garage) did not say what oil they used.

It's dirty black oil by now anyway!!!

I think the "Magnetic " oils stick on a microscopic level btw - certainly not enough to clog up dipstick tube... IMHO

Full Colour Version: Tdci Overfilled With Oil..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615