Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mud Flaps
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
GreyMack
Having read a few of the issues a MkII Focus can have with chip marks on rear doors and elsewhere is it prudent to fit a full set of mud flaps?

Cosmetically i'm never sure if mud flaps add or detract from the look of a car but if it's going to save the paintwork i'm not too bothered.

Any thoughts?
catch
[quote name='GreyMack' date='09 March 2010 - 08:05 AM' timestamp='1268121338' post='69865']
Having read a few of the issues a MkII Focus can have with chip marks on rear doors and elsewhere is it prudent to fit a full set of mud flaps?

Cosmetically i'm never sure if mud flaps add or detract from the look of a car but if it's going to save the paintwork i'm not too bothered.

Any thoughts?
[/quote]

[url="http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8380&st=0&p=48401&fromsearch=1&#entry48401"]have you seen this[/url]

Mud flaps or a rotting car, it's a no brainer really
CAR PARTS EXPRESS
[quote name='GreyMack' date='09 March 2010 - 08:05 AM' timestamp='1268121338' post='69865']

Any thoughts?
[/quote]
Available here>>>>>>> www.fordpartscentre.co.uk :)
Focus Dave
[quote name='FORD-PARTS-CENTRE' date='09 March 2010 - 09:27 AM' timestamp='1268126259' post='69876']
[/quote]

I fitted mud flaps and it does help and i think they are worth it, however it doesnt stop the problem. Especially around the rear door / wheel arch area as this is a raised surface. Problem is dust / grit is carried in the air flow around the car and then hits this paint around this point. I'm now looking at installing additional protection in this area.
GreyMack
[quote name='FORD-PARTS-CENTRE' date='09 March 2010 - 09:27 AM' timestamp='1268126259' post='69876']
[/quote]
50...Ouch!

Without wishing to appear thick what is the VIN number it asks you to provide?
CAR PARTS EXPRESS
[quote name='GreyMack' date='09 March 2010 - 10:22 AM' timestamp='1268129566' post='69884']
50...Ouch!

Without wishing to appear thick what is the VIN number it asks you to provide?
[/quote]
the chassis number...or the reg should do (only ask for vin as sometimes the reg is not picked up on the system)
Bagheera
[quote name='FORD-PARTS-CENTRE' date='09 March 2010 - 11:27 AM' timestamp='1268126259' post='69876']
[/quote]

Is oversea sales possible?
CAR PARTS EXPRESS
[quote name='Bagheera' date='09 March 2010 - 11:39 AM' timestamp='1268134159' post='69893']
[/quote]

Sorry afraid we only ship to uk.
artscot79
[quote name='Bagheera' date='09 March 2010 - 11:39 AM' timestamp='1268134159' post='69893']
[/quote]

bei ng a skinflint i got a set of 4 almost brand new flaps with all the fixings from the scrappy once cleaned up they were like new.they help with the crap that gets thrown off the wheel and hits the doors and i have noticed a difference with them than without ive not had an issue with the chips in the raised area of the arch so far so i cant comment on how it effects that but after having the car with/without the flaps i wouldnt take them off a simple bit opf waxoyl clear stuff before fitting helps
GreyMack
Ordered a full set last night :)
catch
Bagheera mate,

just in case you don't see the PM I've sent you.

I made some enquiries for you regards supply of mudflaps to Istanbul. And the good news is the [url="http://www.fordsparts.co.uk/"][b]Man From FORDSPARTS He Say Yes[/b][/url]

I used this company, but I only ordered the fronts, because I was only interested in protecting the metal sills. The rear wheels will throw stuff up, but only towards the rear bumper and that is a non metal composite material. Nor does the rear bumper show any signs of paint chipping, or retaining any rubbish that is thrown up. They fit perfectly using the existing anchor points that the inner sill protectors use. But the pack did included an additional fixing bracket. Now I'm no dumb shmuck, but I could not see how I could a fix this extra fixing without a metal to metal contact. Now that was a no no to me, as I did not want to create a bare metal situation. As the whole object of the exercise was to eliminate the exposure of bear metal.

Anyway suffice to say they are firmly secured, and as you can see from the photo they can and do cope with the weight of a heavy snow slush build up on them. Can you see in that photo's that the offending grit thrown up from the road is trapped in that slush. That's the proof you do not normally get to see that they do the job.

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/suggy1/slush.jpg[/IMG]

Below is the email I received back from my enquiry

[b]Good afternoon,
Thank you for your enquiry Front & Rear Mudflaps Focus. We will ship to Turkey. He must forward VIN (CHASSIS) Number as may be variant from U K

The best bet is for him to order via our website as that will give him prices including shipping
Regards
Dave Garth. [/b]
GreyMack
Well i finally got round to fitting my mud flaps at the weekend.

Now before i fitted them and having read these forums i knew there was an issue with the focus re stone chippings along the sills etc. I thought i had one large (bout the size of a 10p) area where the paint had just come off, i presumed a large stone or something had taken it off.
It was only when i looked closely behind the front mudflap area that i could see what i thought was splash dirt marks was in fact chipped paint.

From where the front mud flap is, going right along the sill for about 24 inches is chipped and marked paint work.

As i said above i never really noticed before i assumed it was dirt and would wash off, i think the reason i thought that was because with the topcoat off (tango red) i assumed the primer would stand out but it doesn't it just looks like dirt splatter from the front tyre.

It's funny when you have a car a few weeks you suddenly notice all these things you didn't see in the showroom, for example i thought the car was virtually scratch free..................in the past 4 weeks i've lost count of the new little scratches and chips i've found :(
artscot79
[quote name='GreyMack' date='29 March 2010 - 01:25 PM' timestamp='1269864932' post='74740']
Well i finally got round to fitting my mud flaps at the weekend.

Now before i fitted them and having read these forums i knew there was an issue with the focus re stone chippings along the sills etc. I thought i had one large (bout the size of a 10p) area where the paint had just come off, i presumed a large stone or something had taken it off.
It was only when i looked closely behind the front mudflap area that i could see what i thought was splash dirt marks was in fact chipped paint.

From where the front mud flap is, going right along the sill for about 24 inches is chipped and marked paint work.

As i said above i never really noticed before i assumed it was dirt and would wash off, i think the reason i thought that was because with the topcoat off (tango red) i assumed the primer would stand out but it doesn't it just looks like dirt splatter from the front tyre.

It's funny when you have a car a few weeks you suddenly notice all these things you didn't see in the showroom, for example i thought the car was virtually scratch free..................in the past 4 weeks i've lost count of the new little scratches and chips i've found [img]http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif[/img]
[/quote]

thats because the showrooms know how to hide them in basics they use a crayon the same colour as the car to fill the scratch or chip then use proshine over the top which is a pro spray polish and protector etc you get on ebay so youde never see them unless you look mega hard
GreyMack
[quote name='artscot79' date='29 March 2010 - 06:33 PM' timestamp='1269887005' post='74838']
thats because the showrooms know how to hide them in basics they use a crayon the same colour as the car to fill the scratch or chip then use proshine over the top which is a pro spray polish and protector etc you get on ebay so youde never see them unless you look mega hard
[/quote]

I actually tried one of those crayons, it came with the colour wax and i have to say i thought they were a waste of time, it didn't seem to fill the scratches at all.
Is proshine a brand name? I may have a wee look on ebay later.
DeeBe
[quote name='catch' date='09 March 2010 - 09:16 AM' timestamp='1268121999' post='69866']
[url="http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8380&st=0&p=48401&fromsearch=1&#entry48401"]have you seen this[/url]Mud flaps or a rotting car, it's a no brainer really
[/quote]

I agree, plus I think mudflaps on a car enhance the look of it.

[quote name='FORD-PARTS-CENTRE' date='09 March 2010 - 10:27 AM' timestamp='1268126259' post='69876']
[/quote]

Great Seller, I've had a few items off him. Decent prices too. Thoroughly recommended.

Full Colour Version: Mud Flaps
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615