Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Using Oil
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
steve-focus1.6
i have a 2001 focus 1.6 done 81k most of service history.i topped it up 5 days ago and now its back down to half way on the dip stick.i have only done 200 miles max.there are no leaks on the engine,it is bone dry.the only thing i can think is its burning it.strange thing is it never seems to go much further down than half way.any thoughts would be great
stef123
[quote name='steve-focus1.6' date='13 March 2010 - 04:37 PM' timestamp='1268497666' post='71124']
i have a 2001 focus 1.6 done 81k most of service history.i topped it up 5 days ago and now its back down to half way on the dip stick.i have only done 200 miles max.there are no leaks on the engine,it is bone dry.the only thing i can think is its burning it.strange thing is it never seems to go much further down than half way.any thoughts would be great
[/quote]

im on 85k miles and have exactly the same problem. ive actually had it for a while now but as its not got any worse i dont wish to mess with it.

the 1.6 zetec's are bad for being oil burners, its something to do with the piston rings i believe.
catch
[quote name='stef123' date='13 March 2010 - 04:45 PM' timestamp='1268498137' post='71127']

the 1.6 zetec's are bad for being oil burners, its something to do with the piston rings i believe.
[/quote]

Well my experience of Zetec engines is at odds with your experiance.

I had a Mk1 1.8 Zetec T reg [1999] I bought it 25th March 2005, with 57,405 on the clock I also bought a 5ltr container of the correct semi synthetic oil, it cost £12.99 back then. Now I got it serviced once a year until it was written off in a head on crash 30 Dec 2008 with circa 80K on the clock. And all the 3.75 years I had it, I never used more than half a liter out of that 4ltr container.

In fact about three weeks back one of the neighbours young offspring was outside our house with the bonnet up on his Corsa scratching his head [not long passed his test]. I said what's the problem? He said the oil light had come on the dash. He had been and bought a little can of oil from the garage but it did not even register on the dipstick. I said, look I have a container with 3.5 ltrs in it, but the "use before date" is Aug 2010, you can have it for nothing. Put that in and keep your eye on it, if it does not appear to be burning or losing oil, that's fine. But get your mechanic mate to do an oil change before to long. If on the other hand its drinking it, then you need it seeing to prior to paying for an oil change, or least was don't put expensive stuff in it. He said he had it serviced back in September, but never checked the oil ever, that's kids for ya.

My Mk2 1.6 Zetec was service mid October, and the oil is on the "fill to line" on the dipstick.
stef123
[quote name='catch' date='13 March 2010 - 06:29 PM' timestamp='1268504398' post='71138']
Well my experience of Zetec engines is at odds with your experiance.

I had a Mk1 1.8 Zetec T reg [1999] I bought it 25th March 2005, with 57,405 on the clock I also bought a 5ltr container of the correct semi synthetic oil, it cost £12.99 back then. Now I got it serviced once a year until it was written off in a head on crash 30 Dec 2008 with circa 80K on the clock. And all the 3.75 years I had it, I never used more than half a liter out of that 4ltr container.

In fact about three weeks back one of the neighbours young offspring was outside our house with the bonnet up on his Corsa scratching his head [not long passed his test]. I said what's the problem? He said the oil light had come on the dash. He had been and bought a little can of oil from the garage but it did not even register on the dipstick. I said, look I have a container with 3.5 ltrs in it, but the "use before date" is Aug 2010, you can have it for nothing. Put that in and keep your eye on it, if it does not appear to be burning or losing oil, that's fine. But get your mechanic mate to do an oil change before to long. If on the other hand its drinking it, then you need it seeing to prior to paying for an oil change, or least was don't put expensive stuff in it. He said he had it serviced back in September, but never checked the oil ever, that's kids for ya.

My Mk2 1.6 Zetec was service mid October, and the oil is on the "fill to line" on the dipstick.
[/quote]

interesting one catch, you must have had a good one :P

haha now talking about kids of today, a friend of mine is a lorry mechanic and not so long ago he phoned me up and said can you help me, there is a symbol of an oil can flashing on my dashboard - what does this mean and can i still drive the car? (clio mk2 ph1)
i kid you not i almost fell over with laughter, the thought of a so called mechanic wanna be asking me that :lol:

then to make things worse, when i topped the oil up for him. he went to start the car and...nothing. now at the time i still had my clio mk2 and to be honest there wasnt much i didnt know about them as i think i had fixed every fault going on several of them. so i said i will bet you any money its either a bad connection or the starter is clogged with cr4p. so i checked the connections, done the old earth trick with the jump lead to no avail so i told him to put it in second and we would give it a push and shove...tried to start it and bingo! perfect! his reply to all this was, oh it must be the immobiliser! at that point i had to get in my car and run before it got any worse!

(sorry for going off topic)
steve-focus1.6
glad to see mines not the only 1 that uses it then.thought there was somthing seriusly wrong for a minuite.just got to get the clucth sortd,rear springs,track rod ends and the termostate housing is leaking
catch
[quote name='steve-focus1.6' date='14 March 2010 - 10:45 AM' timestamp='1268562944' post='71198']
glad to see mines not the only 1 that uses it then.thought there was somthing seriusly wrong for a minuite.just got to get the clucth sortd,rear springs,track rod ends and the termostate housing is leaking
[/quote]

steve I'm I right in thinking you have just come into ownership of this car?

Clutch, yes ours started slipping at circa 79k so had to have a new one fitted, ten days later written off. That would have been a perfect engine and transmission swap for you mate.
artscot79
[quote name='catch' date='14 March 2010 - 01:06 PM' timestamp='1268571402' post='71218']
steve I'm I right in thinking you have just come into ownership of this car?

Clutch, yes ours started slipping at circa 79k so had to have a new one fitted, ten days later written off. That would have been a perfect engine and transmission swap for you mate.
[/quote]

i have to admit my 1.8 never uses any oil either may be time to get the rings done if its consistently using oil to that degree as it can only get worse really and not better
steve-focus1.6
i have had the car 8 months.must admit its the best car iv had yet.when i have sorted the few problems she should be a briliate motor.i have also got a k&n and a cat back scorpion.i will try and uplaod some pics when i get round to it
bottletree
I have owned 5 cars previous to this diesel i own now. ALL of them burnt oil and ALL of them were petrol. Looking forward to not burning oil anymore with this new car..........hopefully.
catch
[quote name='bottletree' date='15 March 2010 - 12:11 PM' timestamp='1268654514' post='71541']
I have owned 5 cars previous to this diesel i own now. ALL of them burnt oil and ALL of them were petrol. Looking forward to not burning oil anymore with this new car..........hopefully.
[/quote]

I've had 14 cars and two vans, 14 being petrol and 2 diesel, all bought second hand. Only ever had one that used a bit of oil, and that was my first...A35 van, put it down to being young and knowing bugger all about buying second hand motors.

Edit: My second vehicle an Anglia van, I bought in the knowledge it had a knackered engine [I took the firms mechanic with me] But had a known second hand engine lined up for it, the owner wanted a £20, we did the deal on a tenner. Primarily because the landlord of the pub car park it was languishing in want it shifting like yesterday. So replacement engine, then a bit of body work, and a total hand painted job. This was done by another work mate I worked with at the time, who before he moved up to Yorkshire, used to hand paint Jaguars for a living......We are going back a bit now, mind you he was 30+ years older than me, I was nob but a pup :rolleyes:
artscot79
[quote name='catch' date='15 March 2010 - 02:54 PM' timestamp='1268664282' post='71558']
I've had 14 cars and two vans, 14 being petrol and 2 diesel, all bought second hand. Only ever had one that used a bit of oil, and that was my first...A35 van, put it down to being young and knowing bugger all about buying second hand motors.

Edit: My second vehicle an Anglia van, I bought in the knowledge it had a knackered engine [I took the firms mechanic with me] But had a known second hand engine lined up for it, the owner wanted a 20, we did the deal on a tenner. Primarily because the landlord of the pub car park it was languishing in want it shifting like yesterday. So replacement engine, then a bit of body work, and a total hand painted job. This was done by another work mate I worked with at the time, who before he moved up to Yorkshire, used to hand paint Jaguars for a living......We are going back a bit now, mind you he was 30+ years older than me, I was nob but a pup [img]http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif[/img]
[/quote]

most likely is the piston rings may need done dunno what the mileage is on the two but at just short of 70k i never use any oil at all my vw was the same as well as all my other cars oil use was never an issue maybe time to have them looked at guys
bottletree
The last car i owned a 02 picasso 1.8 petrol burnt at least 1 pint of oil a month. It did 24mpg around town and was starting to cost me big pennies. I have been driving everyday in this Focus for a week now and its only used a quarter of a tank.I am really starting to enjoy these diesels.
catch
Sorry,

16 cars, forgot the wife's Talbot, and her Toyota Corolla both great little cars.

Full Colour Version: Using Oil
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.