Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Erratic Revving On 1999 Focus
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
DAREDEVIL78
Hi , please could anyone advise , i have just bought a mk1 1999 focus 1.8 16valve zetec, everything seems fine with it apart from one problem which is erratic idling/revving if stood at lights or while driving.
First odd thing is when you fire the car up the rev counter/fuel gauge etc go to absolute max then drop to nothing then(eventually) to where they should be ??, then the problem continues with the revs , you could be sat at lights not even touching pedals then the car revs up then drops to near tickover but never ticks over perfect ( generally it ticks over round 2000 revs ).
Then if you are driving you can tell revs are too high and if you are say in fourth/fifth but rolling you can feel the revs trying to pull you when you dont want it to.

I have read possibilities it could be such as idle control valve / vacuum hoses etc but could do with a precise indication to the problem because it is getting on my nerves , thanks. :D
Neilw
[quote name='DAREDEVIL78' date='14 March 2010 - 08:28 PM' timestamp='1268597932' post='71328']
Hi , please could anyone advise , i have just bought a mk1 1999 focus 1.8 16valve zetec.
First odd thing is when you fire the car up the rev counter/fuel gauge etc go to absolute max then drop to nothing then(eventually) to where they should be ??. :D
[/quote]

I've just bought the same model and mine does the same thing when you start her up. I thought it was a problem with the clocks but looks like its normal. For your other problem I have no idea hope that some one else can help you.:unsure:

Neil......

:)
artscot79
[quote name='Neilw' date='15 March 2010 - 05:50 AM' timestamp='1268631602' post='71503']
I've just bought the same model and mine does the same thing when you start her up. I thought it was a problem with the clocks but looks like its normal. For your other problem I have no idea hope that some one else can help you.[img]http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif[/img]

Neil......

[img]http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]
[/quote]

haing the same car i can tell you its not normal the revs should go to about 4 instantly down to 1000rpm when cold when its warm it should sit at 750 without getting it checked on diagnostics its hard to give a definite answer yes it sounds like tyhe idle control valve is stuck in the open position so ide recomend changing this first and the fuel gauge should only go from o to wherever the fuel level is not all the way to the toip
Neilw
:blink::blink:

[quote name='artscot79' date='15 March 2010 - 02:17 PM' timestamp='1268662065' post='71552']
haing the same car i can tell you its not normal the revs should go to about 4 instantly down to 1000rpm when cold when its warm it should sit at 750 without getting it checked on diagnostics its hard to give a definite answer yes it sounds like the idle control valve is stuck in the open position so ide recommend changing this first and the fuel gauge should only go from o to wherever the fuel level is not all the way to the toip
[/quote]

You didn't read the post properly when you start the car all the clocks go all the way to max then back down to zero before settling at 1000rpm when its cold and 750 when its warm.

Neil......

;)
artscot79
[quote name='Neilw' date='15 March 2010 - 05:46 PM' timestamp='1268674568' post='71585']
[img]http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif[/img][img]http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif[/img]

You didn't read the post properly when you start the car all the clocks go all the way to max then back down to zero before settling at 1000rpm when its cold and 750 when its warm.

Neil......

[img]http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif[/img]
[/quote]

nope im sorry they dont do that normally when you switch the ignition on the fuel gauge will go to whatever the tanks at as you turn the ignition the revs will go up a bit but not all the way the other dials do nothing at this time the clocks only go all the way to the max when the dash test is done dont believe me ask anyone else on here thats not normal behavior this could be down to a faulty battery ide check you have a lead calcium/silver battery and not a lead acid battery as this has been known to cause dodgy dials the revs can be throttle position sensor and or idle control valve be aware though when its fixed because they idle low at 750rpm they dont idle smnoothly and can feel like they are hunting in fact its normal
artscot79
rac forum states dials doing full sweep when starting car over revving and idli ng high [b][u] have your battery checked-when the dials sweep like that it is because they are rebooting/resetting-this can be down to low battery voltage under cranking youre over revving could be down to the incorrect type of battery ford issued a service bulletin that the smart charge system can have electrical issues as its run by the ecu the cause is faulty mismatched batteries. all ford cars should have silver calcium lead calcium batteries and not lead acid[/u][/b].
Neilw
[quote name='artscot79' date='15 March 2010 - 06:51 PM' timestamp='1268678516' post='71632']
rac forum states dials doing full sweep when starting car over revving and idli ng high [b][u] have your battery checked-when the dials sweep like that it is because they are rebooting/resetting-this can be down to low battery voltage under cranking youre over revving could be down to the incorrect type of battery ford issued a service bulletin that the smart charge system can have electrical issues as its run by the ecu the cause is faulty mismatched batteries. all ford cars should have silver calcium lead calcium batteries and not lead acid[/u][/b].
[/quote]

thanks for that i have a spare battery i will give it a try.

Neil......

B)
artscot79
[quote name='Neilw' date='15 March 2010 - 09:17 PM' timestamp='1268687265' post='71706']
thanks for that i have a spare battery i will give it a try.

Neil......

[img]http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif[/img]
[/quote]

has to be a silver calcium battery though not many folk have them lying spare
Neilw
[quote name='artscot79' date='16 March 2010 - 11:05 AM' timestamp='1268736905' post='71831']
has to be a silver calcium battery though not many folk have them lying spare
[/quote]

Thanks again mate have to double check my spare battery its of my BMW.

:huh:

Full Colour Version: Erratic Revving On 1999 Focus
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.