Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Focus Reviews
Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums > Ford Models > Ford Focus Club
zev
Hi all, I'm thinking of buying a focus zetec.The problem is I dont know what size engine to get. I'm trying to keep my insurance down so I was opting for the 1.4l,However I've been re searching this car and I've read that its not recommmend to to buy a 1.4 because the focus is a heavy car so its better to get the 1.8l, but of course that would push my insurance up so what about the 1.6l.I dont do a lot of millage but I do travel to my daughters twice a year which totts up over 300 miles each way so off course it would have to handel well on the motorway. Can anyone help me with this I would so love to buy the focus.
regards
zev :)
catch
[quote name='zev' date='27 March 2010 - 04:53 PM' timestamp='1269708235' post='74386']
Hi all, I'm thinking of buying a focus zetec.The problem is I dont know what size engine to get. I'm trying to keep my insurance down so I was opting for the 1.4l,However I've been re searching this car and I've read that its not recommmend to to buy a 1.4 because the focus is a heavy car so its better to get the 1.8l, but of course that would push my insurance up so what about the 1.6l.I dont do a lot of millage but I do travel to my daughters twice a year which totts up over 300 miles each way so off course it would have to handel well on the motorway. Can anyone help me with this I would so love to buy the focus.
regards
zev :)
[/quote]

All things considered, a 1.6 Petrol will be fine, as against a 1.8/2.0l if insurance and road tax costs are important. The 1.6 TDCi would be a good choice, if it's anything like the 2.0 TDCi I had in an S40, as the diesels have more mid range torque than the petrol engines, for overtaking without the need to work the gear box as much. That said we are off down Cornwall a journey of 362 miles in a 1.6 Zetec petrol. And what bit of motorway driving I have done in it since purchase in October 09, was no problem at all and I like to cruise in the around 75 mph. I bought the 1.6 petrol because we only do circa 6k a year, and 2k of that will be holidaying down on the south coast. If we did more I dare say I would pay the price premium for a diesel. [but beware the dreaded DPF problems you can have if you in the main just potter around on short journeys] One thing I suspect I will miss on the motorway journey down sarf is cruise control. If you ain't had it I dare say you won't miss it, but boy does it make the job easier.

Yes your better to steer clear of the 1.4 engine. The 1.6 petrol is a perky enough engine,over taking cars travelling at 60 mph is fine and cruising around 70/75 no problem at all. But if you want quick overtaking acceleration to kick in at 70mph you will be disappointed, it would have to be a run up job.
ford focus edge
I've got a little 1.6 as my first car and after using it everyday for nearly 2yrs its quite nippy and ample on the motorway. Ive travled down south to visit family with a bootfull and 3 other people on board il admit sometimes i did have to change down to 4th a few times but that dosent really bother me. The 1.6 will sit between 70-80 all day everyday and not bat an eyelid and will fly out of a junction when needed and overtakes easily if thrashed :P .

Overall the 1.6 is OK personally i reckon the 1.8 would be better but being a young driver no way in hell am i shelling out the money they want for me to insure it and with rising petrol prices im loving the little 1.6.

Mike
artscot79
[quote name='ford focus edge' date='27 March 2010 - 06:16 PM' timestamp='1269713193' post='74399']
I've got a little 1.6 as my first car and after using it everyday for nearly 2yrs its quite nippy and ample on the motorway. Ive travled down south to visit family with a bootfull and 3 other people on board il admit sometimes i did have to change down to 4th a few times but that dosent really bother me. The 1.6 will sit between 70-80 all day everyday and not bat an eyelid and will fly out of a junction when needed and overtakes easily if thrashed [img]http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif[/img] .

Overall the 1.6 is OK personally i reckon the 1.8 would be better but being a young driver no way in hell am i shelling out the money they want for me to insure it and with rising petrol prices im loving the little 1.6.

Mike
[/quote]

the 1.8 is recommended as the one to go for but....given road tax and insurance the 1.6 isnt that far off the mark to be honest and will do what you want the 1.4 to be honest haven driven one is awful why ford did it is anyones guess but it really isnt a good engine and struggles with more tehn one in the car
bottletree
The 1.6 TDCI is perfect for all you need. Insurance, tax and fuel costs. I had a 1.8 petrol and changed to this focus. I spent 20 a week on fuel and since driving around with the diesel its cost me 6.40 doing the same miles. My insurance quote came down by only 35 but i think its due to the 20% increase in premiums over all plus my car is a lot more expensive than the old one.As far as tax is concerned my car is in the D band which equates to 120 a year. But if the rumours are to be believed then stay away from petrol cause the petrol prices will increase and the tax will be doubled in 2011.
I spent a month looking for a family car that was cheap to run and good on insurance and tax etc. 2 cars i considered were the renault megane 1.5 dci and this ford. The Ford came top due to its reliability and fun to drive.
artscot79
[quote name='bottletree' date='27 March 2010 - 08:30 PM' timestamp='1269721242' post='74426']
The 1.6 TDCI is perfect for all you need. Insurance, tax and fuel costs. I had a 1.8 petrol and changed to this focus. I spent £20 a week on fuel and since driving around with the diesel its cost me £6.40 doing the same miles. My insurance quote came down by only £35 but i think its due to the 20% increase in premiums over all plus my car is a lot more expensive than the old one.As far as tax is concerned my car is in the D band which equates to £120 a year. But if the rumours are to be believed then stay away from petrol cause the petrol prices will increase and the tax will be doubled in 2011.
I spent a month looking for a family car that was cheap to run and good on insurance and tax etc. 2 cars i considered were the renault megane 1.5 dci and this ford. The Ford came top due to its reliability and fun to drive.
[/quote]

the rumours arent true they have been misunderstood in 2010 there is a first year tax on all new cars bought which is quite high but the basic road tax for already owned vehicles stays the same [b]VED Rates in 2010-11
[/b]Band A (up to 100g/km CO2) [b]no fee[/b]
Band B (101-110g/km CO2) [b]£20[/b]
Band C (111-120g/km CO2)[b] £30 [/b]
Band D (121-130g/km CO2)[b] £90 [/b]
Band E (131-140g/km CO2)[b] £110 [/b]
Band F (141- 150g/km CO2)[b]£125 [/b]
Band G (151 to 165g/km CO2)[b] £155 [/b]
Band H (166 to 175g/km CO2)[b] £180[/b]
Band I (176 to 185g/km CO2)[b] £200[/b]
Band J (186 to 200g/km CO2)[b] £235[/b]
Band K (201 to 225g/km CO2)[b] £245[/b]
Band L (226 to 255g/km CO2)[b] £425[/b]
Band M (Over 255g/km CO2)[b] £435[/b]

on another note its great to have a low emission car and pay no road tax or very little but where does the money come from when were all driving them in 5 years time? think about it the cvars that are free wont be forever the government makes billions from road tax
catch
[quote name='bottletree' date='27 March 2010 - 08:30 PM' timestamp='1269721242' post='74426']
The 1.6 TDCI is perfect for all you need. Insurance, tax and fuel costs. I had a 1.8 petrol and changed to this focus. I spent £20 a week on fuel and since driving around with the diesel its cost me £6.40 doing the same miles. My insurance quote came down by only £35 but i think its due to the 20% increase in premiums over all plus my car is a lot more expensive than the old one.As far as tax is concerned my car is in the D band which equates to £120 a year. But if the rumours are to be believed then stay away from petrol cause the petrol prices will increase and the tax will be doubled in 2011.
[/quote]

I hear what your saying, but it all depends on your driving requirements, OP say they do little mileage. And in the absence of knowing nothing else about that mileage and driving environment. It could be that the low mileage is made up of small journeys, in an urban environment. Then a diesel would not be the right car for the job. Diesel cars are for high mileage drivers really, there are Eloys additive services costing £100+ every three year service, then DPF replacement @ the 6th annual service interval. Going rate for a S40 2.0D at a Volvo garage is £1000, at a Ford Dealers £900 for the DPF service interval. And that's just under normal conditions with every thing going as it should. But if the vast majority of the low mileage is urban driving, you could experience a blocked Diesel Particulate Filter. This would require a main dealer "forced regeneration" of the filter @ £150. But this may not be successful, meaning a new filter. Without the Eloys additive it's ball park £350 for the filter alone + labour. With Eloys additive replenishment your talking £600/650....hence a 75K service costs circa £900

I knew bugger all about the DPF when I bought my S40 2.0D SE [ because no car sales man will tell you] all I saw was Road Tax £45 cheaper than my 1999 1.8 Zetec petrol. And Diesel only 1p a ltr dearer than petrol, but returning 44% more miles to the gallon.

But if you add the price premium for buying a diesel as against a petrol, add to that extra cost the cost of Elyos services and DPF replacement, that you don't have with petrol engines. I doubt a low mileage driver will gain much in the way of savings, especially if he experiences DPF problems over and above those that are considered normal servicing costs.

I have put together a spread sheet that works out the difference of me running a Focus 1.6 Zetec Climate Petrol against a S40 2.0D SE [diesel]
The S40 returns 22% more miles to the gallon than the 1.6 petrol which equals a saving of £155 @ 5,500 per annum. Road Tax is the same. Insurance saving on the 1.6 is £46. Costing out the DPF replacement and additive services over a 6 year maintenance schedule cycle = an additional cost on the conservative side at £600 divide by six is an additional service cost of £100 per annum so:

£155 savings per year minus £146 additional costs so the saving to me a year running the diesel in that case is [b]£9 a year[/b]

Comparing a 2006 1.6 petrol against a 2006 1.6 diesel Focus doing 5,500 per annum the figures stack up a lot better for the diesel.In that tax and fuel savings come in at £277 per annum, but allow £100 the service the DPF over a six year schedule. Then your only £177 per annum in pocket running the diesel. BUT if you have to have a dealer induced "Forced Regeneration" to clear a blocked DPF, that £177 saving disappears. Need to replace a DPF out side of the service schedule because the "forced regeneration" failed and your another £600+ out of pocket.

And add to that the cost difference in regard to purchasing a like for like 2006 Zetec Climate Diesel against a Petrol model, That's an extra £1,010 according to What Car valuations.

Hence at the end of the day in my case I went for the known servicing costs I will face doing a low annual mileage in a petrol Focus, plus add in the price premium cost saving buying a petrol.

I will qualify all that by saying I run the S40 2.0D SE for nine months clocking up 5,368 miles, and experienced no DPF problems. But with the dreaded 6th year £1000 service due this September I decided to move it on last October. And since selling it mid October I've only covered 1,400 in 5 months in short urban journeys in the Focus 1.6 petro. So possibly I could have experienced DPF problems. Secret with diesels with the early DPF's is to hammer the @rse off them every 300 miles for 20 minutes, if you do mostly short urban journeys
zev
Thanks guys I'm going to go for the focus 1.6l sounds like a brilliant car perfect for me. I have noticed not all focuses have ABS So I'm finding it difficult finding a used focus with this safety function at a price I can afford But I'm determind to find one.
Thanks again.
zev x :rolleyes:
catch
[quote name='zev' date='28 March 2010 - 10:53 PM' timestamp='1269812614' post='74664']
Thanks guys I'm going to go for the focus 1.6l sounds like a brilliant car perfect for me. I have noticed not all focuses have ABS So I'm finding it difficult finding a used focus with this safety function at a price I can afford But I'm determind to find one.
Thanks again.
zev x :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Just had a quick look, and on the Mk1 98-04 1.6 Zetec ABS came in as standard on the 03A build.[url="http://www.wisebuyers.co.uk/motoring/car-specifications/Ford/Focus+%281998-04%29/FO006752/"]Wisbuyers spec sheets[/url]

ABS+EBD was standard on Mk 2 Zetec 1.6 on the 05A build [url="http://www.wisebuyers.co.uk/index.jsp?guide=prices&page=car_specs&no=4&make=Ford&model=Focus+%282004-07%29&ids=FO008449&ids=FO008246"]Wisebuyers Mk2 1.6[/url]
ford focus edge
Wont all mk1.5's have ABS on though bar ones like the cl and maybe the lx

Mike
artscot79
[quote name='ford focus edge' date='29 March 2010 - 09:40 AM' timestamp='1269851454' post='74713']
Wont all mk1.5's have ABS on though bar ones like the cl and maybe the lx

Mike
[/quote]

no it was an option till 03 when it became standard its difficult to get a good one at a good price with the abs so dont say no just because it doesnt have it my focus breaks really well withouit it and is better in the snow than my old motor that had abs
Knight Focus
[quote name='artscot79' date='29 March 2010 - 07:30 PM' timestamp='1269886842' post='74837']
no it was an option till 03 when it became standard its difficult to get a good one at a good price with the abs so dont say no just because it doesnt have it my focus breaks really well withouit it and is better in the snow than my old motor that had abs
[/quote]
When I bought mine, the garage had about 10 Focus all in black apart from the one I bought. Mine was the only one that had a 1.8, the rest were 1.6's, and the only one with all four brake discs, which offers better stopping power than rear drums (apparently). Though having drums on my old cars was never an issue.

Mike
ford focus edge
[quote name='Knight Focus' date='29 March 2010 - 11:17 PM' timestamp='1269900448' post='74915']
When I bought mine, the garage had about 10 Focus all in black apart from the one I bought. Mine was the only one that had a 1.8, the rest were 1.6's, and the only one with all four brake discs, which offers better stopping power than rear drums (apparently). Though having drums on my old cars was never an issue.

Mike
[/quote]

My mates 2003 mp3 edtion has no rear discs i dont think :huh: i was thinking about fitting 2.0 ghia rear discs to mine but from what ive heard down the grape vine there not all there cracked upto be drums cope with the mighty 102 odd bhp well anyway lol. Then again if you put mighty discs and greenstuff pads on theyd be s**t hot hmmmmmm ideas :P . ABS is a feature id NEVER have a car without its saved my arse more times than i care to mention.

Mike

Full Colour Version: Focus Reviews
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.

Warning: require_once(/var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/sources/classes/class_email.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/applications/ipb/3.4.5/upload/lofiversion/ipsclass.php on line 1615